Food & Drink

Do you still trust restaurants? ***WARNING - pictures may gross some people out***

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 6th, 2019 10:31 am
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9120 posts
3012 upvotes
Mississauga
I wonder if there'll be lawsuits...
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9260 posts
5091 upvotes
Becks wrote: UPDATE: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5071271

The seafood chowder prepared in a Vancouver restaurant kitchen was "unfit for human consumption," according to an inspection report prepared after a rat was allegedly found in a customer's bread bowl.

Cockroaches, mouse droppings and other rodent excrement were all visible when Vancouver Coastal Health inspectors visited the commercial commissary kitchen at Mamie Taylor's restaurant on Dec. 28, 2018, according to a report obtained through a Freedom of Information (FOI) request...
Funny, the owner/operator of the restaurant was telling a different story when this was all unfolding but the latest news report seems to support some of the original claims about the whole incident.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2504 upvotes
[more from the CBC link in my previous post]:

..."General sanitation was poor," inspector Karen Rehbein writes of the kitchen.

"A cockroach was sighted running over [Crab Park Chowdery owner Ashton] Phillips's head. Mouse droppings were noted inside the walk-in cooler, as well as in the food preparation and food storage areas. A thick accumulation of rodent excrement and accumulated debris was noted on plumbing lines situated above the cooking equipment."

She notes that 10-litre plastic tubs of chowder were placed into a walk-in cooler once they were taken off the stove.

"At the time of inspection, the chowders in the walk-in cooler were NOT covered," Rehbein wrote.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29319 posts
14826 upvotes
I still wonder how the hell the employee managed to ladle out a rat that big without noticing it.

The bread bowl doesn't look that big, so the accompanying ladle also shouldn't be that big.
Plus with the rat being stiff like that, it'd be pretty easy to spot.

I also question as to when the rat actually entered the soup initially.
Looking at the picture, it has a distinct lack of meat on it so it couldn't have fallen in after preparation (eg in the walk-in) because it'd just be a whole dead rat.
It looks like it was cooked for a while. If it was cooked for a while, anyone that makes stock at home knows that the texture of the bones is basically non existent. They don't hold together at all.
How is the rat holding together?

I'm not saying that the restaurant has no fault in this because clearly their kitchen was a train wreck.
I'm also not saying that rodents in general haven't gotten into their food, but this one specific rodent in this one specific soup seems suspicious to me.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
4281 posts
1814 upvotes
Scarborough
oroku1983 wrote: Also notice the dude in the videos complete lack of surprise. would you not be screaming HOLY SHIT WHAT THE ****? the customers are def the culprit here.
But even if I were to agree the lack or surprise, how convenient that this surprise reaction was coincidentally at the time of someone filming it... hmmm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
7978 posts
5938 upvotes
Toronto
I'm mostly disappointed that this thread did not live up to the warning in the title.
There isn't a single picture to be viewed at present.
Fake news!!!
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29319 posts
14826 upvotes
shikotee wrote: I'm mostly disappointed that this thread did not live up to the warning in the title.
There isn't a single picture to be viewed at present.
Fake news!!!

Happy?
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
7978 posts
5938 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote: Image

Happy?
It's a start.
"Pictures" implies many.
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9260 posts
5091 upvotes
Yuck! If anyone read the Health report posted in one of the previous posts, it sure sounds like this was going to happen sooner or later.