Shopping Discussion

Do you think FS, BB and others watch RFD and other forums to adjust prices?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 3rd, 2012 4:18 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 5, 2009
778 posts
100 upvotes

Do you think FS, BB and others watch RFD and other forums to adjust prices?

The reason I ask this question is because I noticed that whenever a heated discussion about a specific item takes place on RFD, the price for that item jumps up at FS and BB. As an example, there has been a thread on RFD praising the LG LW5000 TV which was selling for about a grand at FS but with op's continuing praise of this set, the price of the set jumped up by 2 hundred dollars and BB removed the bundled B-Ray player, glasses and B-Ray movies included.

Just was wondering if you think someone at the big stores is tasked with watching these forums to gauge the pulse of members and their buying habits which might influence the setting of prices.
3 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
17751 posts
5689 upvotes
Toronto
I doubt they even bother with the forums. Maybe Futureshop/Bestbuy employees use these forums for personal use. The prices are adjusted based on supply and demand.
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10376 posts
740 upvotes
Toronto
Wouldn't be surprised if they do. Kind of like how Rogers caught on to the whole retention deal thing and started cracking down on them. Now it's hard to get them to give you more than 1 credit on your account. They even created dedicated social media teams just for the purpose of monitoring online activity like RFD, Facebook, Twitter and etc.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6309 posts
970 upvotes
Prices at FS and BB are constantly going up and down for whatever reasons. I doubt Redflags has much of an effect unless there's a heavy run on a particular item bringing it to their attention that way.