Wheels and Tires

Do you tighten your wheels in the air or touching the ground?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 21st, 2020 9:28 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1325 posts
267 upvotes
ORLEANS

Do you tighten your wheels in the air or touching the ground?

So I was wondering Is both these ways tightening your nuts proper?
Tighten lug nuts with wheel hanging in the air with torque sticks on impact gun and then drop the jack with wheel touching the ground. Then use torque wrench

Or

Hand tighten lug nuts. Drop the jack a bit with wheel just touching the ground. Then impact gun with torque sticks. Then use torque wrench

Are both these ways proper?
38 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2011
1329 posts
718 upvotes
Toronto
I use an impact wrench, tighten them while on the Jack. Then lower my car, once the tire makes contact to the ground, I stop and torque all lug nuts, then lower the rest of the car.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
3512 posts
3603 upvotes
GTA
+1

I do the same. An impact gun on low setting gets the wheel nuts to about 50 lb-ft, and the wheel tight against the brake disc and hub. Then let the car down and torque them to spec. You can sort of do this without an impact wrench, you just won't get the wheel nuts as tight. Still better than nothing though.

When I worked at the Costco tire centre, we actually torqued them to spec with the tires still off the ground. But they had custom made wheel chocks to prevent the wheels from turning when you used the torque wrench.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2006
1786 posts
182 upvotes
I don't know if my method is correct or not. While the car is lifted, I will use a cross wrench to put the bolts on and tighten to a point. Then lower the car and use the torque wrench to finish the job.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2014
2510 posts
588 upvotes
Ottawa
Snug in the air, torque on the ground.
Mar 6, 2015
335 posts
1063 upvotes
New Brunswick
And don't forget to re-torque after 40km!
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
4295 posts
1599 upvotes
Ottawa
Palidino wrote: So I was wondering Is both these ways tightening your nuts proper?
Tighten lug nuts with wheel hanging in the air with torque sticks on impact gun and then drop the jack with wheel touching the ground. Then use torque wrench

Or

Hand tighten lug nuts. Drop the jack a bit with wheel just touching the ground. Then impact gun with torque sticks. Then use torque wrench

Are both these ways proper?
They're both fine. I don't use torque sticks personally but see nothing wrong with using them as long as the lugs are subsequently tightened with a proper torque wrench.

FWIW, a step we all omitted here is to ensure the parking brake is on before we jack the car up. Wheel chocks are useful too.
Aug 13, 2011
575 posts
131 upvotes
Scarborough southwes…
bunmin wrote: And don't forget to re-torque after 40km!
What's the reasoning behind this one?
I stopped years ago and I've never seen it loosen.
Is it more for forgetful people who might have missed doing a nut?
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
4018 posts
947 upvotes
Actually important thing is to hand tighten in a way to make sure the rim of the each hole is resting on the shoulder of the nut not on the thread of screw when car is on the jack. Then tighten with torque wrench in a criss-cross pattern. Lower the jack and torque wrench it to spec. Then re-torque or checked later.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
14404 posts
11607 upvotes
Richmond Hill
MrMimizu wrote: What's the reasoning behind this one?
I've had nuts come loose. Always better to double check just incase, doesn't take long anyways.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
4295 posts
1599 upvotes
Ottawa
EP32k2 wrote: I've had nuts come loose. Always better to double check just incase, doesn't take long anyways.
Same.

Retorquing is a good practice. I usually give it a week. I confess that I don't jack up the car before I retorque but just go around the car and check each lug with a torque wrench. That means that any lug or wheel cover doesn't go on right away and is a reminder for me to get off my lazy behind and retorque.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
13160 posts
3414 upvotes
Montréal
Always tighten to spec w tires on the ground. The lugs may loosen when the tires are back on pavement even when torqued to spec when car's jacked up. We drive on roads, not in the air.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
5844 posts
515 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
You won't be able to torque them in the air. The tires will spin as they have no resistance.

If using your home jack, tighten the nuts by hands or tool. Drop it and put a little weight on the ground, not all, then torque it in a star pattern.
--
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
7980 posts
4382 upvotes
Kootenays
MrMimizu wrote: What's the reasoning behind this one?
No, it came into vogue as alloy wheels became popular. There's little chance that my F-150's steel wheels, torqued to 150 lbs will come loose ( I check them anyway). There's a much better chance that my Venza's alloy wheels torqued to 76 lbs will. It also ensures you didn't miss a nut.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7716 posts
3939 upvotes
Alberta
br0pbr0p wrote: I don't know if my method is correct or not. While the car is lifted, I will use a cross wrench to put the bolts on and tighten to a point. Then lower the car and use the torque wrench to finish the job.
This is what I do. I never use an impact gun even though I have one.