Do you tip piano movers?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 25th, 2018 8:55 am
Tags:
Dec 4, 2006
428 posts
203 upvotes

Do you tip piano movers?

Braymore will be moving my piano (5'8" baby grand), I wonder do you tip the movers? There would be 3 of them. If tip is neccessary how much? Some people say that providing drinks and a slice pizza suffices.

Thanks
25 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
Usually when I've had appliance movers or people of that sort in, I buy a $25 Tim's card and give it to the "senior" guy. Then they can go on their break at their convenience.

C
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
I normally tip anyone who does heavy lifting for me. For movers we usually provide drinks/food plus a cash tip. For just one item (piano), I would assume a cash tip would be fine.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
17068 posts
1830 upvotes
Thornhill
Tip them if you want, whatever you want. Or play them a nice song.

I did tip mine when they moved my piano... probably $20

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Jan 13, 2007
689 posts
669 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Having hired piano movers in the past to move an upright grand, yes they do expect tip. I concur that for a standard move ~$20 would be sufficient.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
7156 posts
7137 upvotes
If you're paying someone for a service they've agreed to do, I don't understand why they need to tipped for doing their job. If it's hard work, they charge appropriately so they're not relying on tips.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
2218 posts
1282 upvotes
Brampton, ON
hierophant wrote: If you're paying someone for a service they've agreed to do, I don't understand why they need to tipped for doing their job. If it's hard work, they charge appropriately so they're not relying on tips.
I agree with this. However I may still offer to do a timmies run for them and buy them like a coffee each plus timbits.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
hierophant wrote: If you're paying someone for a service they've agreed to do, I don't understand why they need to tipped for doing their job. If it's hard work, they charge appropriately so they're not relying on tips.
The same could be said for any job that gets tips... Server, hairdresser, etc. Feel free to not tip if that's what you want to do, though.

C
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
7156 posts
7137 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote: The same could be said for any job that gets tips... Server, hairdresser, etc. Feel free to not tip if that's what you want to do, though.

C
I feel the same way about any job but I feel obligated to tip them even though I don't want to because that's become a cultural norm that's expected and relied upon.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
hierophant wrote: I feel the same way about any job but I feel obligated to tip them even though I don't want to because that's become a cultural norm that's expected and relied upon.
So you'd rather tip a waitress who brings you a beer, vs someone who moves your freaking piano? Makes sense to me...

C
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
7156 posts
7137 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote: So you'd rather tip a waitress who brings you a beer, vs someone who moves your freaking piano? Makes sense to me...

C
Ummm no that's not what I said and not sure why you want to derail the thread.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1689 posts
399 upvotes
You pay for the services to move, but some days it's just super hot, or the stairs in your house is more angled and the move isn't as easy, etc - that to me deserves something extra. There's always a 'chance' at damage when you move anything at all, so if they've managed to move my piano without damaging anything, that deserves a little extra. Plus some of the guys doing the heavy lifting aren't young guys.

If it's just moving one thing and the guys charge by the hour, see how much they charge. Ie. they spent 2 hours moving but have min. charge 3 hours - no need to tip extra then. If they spent a bit over 2 hours moving but charged 2 hours - tip would be the nice thing to do.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
hierophant wrote: Ummm no that's not what I said and not sure why you want to derail the thread.
You said that you feel obligated to tip a waitress or hairdresser because of cultural norms. But you wouldn't tip a piano mover (the topic of this entire thread) because since "If it's hard work, they charge appropriately so they're not relying on tips." (quoted from your post). Yet everyone in this thread besides you has suggested that they would tip, so apparently it is a cultural norm (within this limited data set) to tip people moving pianos as well.

Not sure why you wanted to derail the thread with comments about how industries should charge enough to not need tips. Sometimes it's not about need... It's about expressing appreciation. The guys getting free coffee or donuts don't (most likely) NEED those donuts. It's a matter of saying "Hey, thanks for this!"

Just my $0.02...

C
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
The people actually doing the work aren't getting paid that much for backbreaking work (unless it is the owner of the company). I always tip movers. They do a hard/shitty job I wouldn't want to do and they don't make a load of money.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
17068 posts
1830 upvotes
Thornhill
hierophant wrote: I feel the same way about any job but I feel obligated to tip them even though I don't want to because that's become a cultural norm that's expected and relied upon.
Say that to your boss when the company offers you the annual bonus or Christmas bonus.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
Every contractor or mover that enters your home to perform work should be offered at MINIMUM water. Even selling I would say 40-50% offer me a drink. Much more common with older folks and immigrants (Asian, Greek, Irish, doesnt matter. Folks who weren’t born in Canada for whatever reason force water on me :)
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
13011 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
Tip $20 and tell them to go buy some coffee. They'll appreciate it. Maybe with the 3 of them, and it's a larger piano, $25 is good. Supplying sugary drinks would probably be appreciated (c-plus or something). Just curious what the cost is to move a baby grand?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Jerico wrote: Folks who weren’t born in Canada for whatever reason force water on me :)
I’m born here and I would offer you a drink, it’s common courtesy.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
2290 posts
2343 upvotes
Toronto
I always tip delivery ppl eg appliance, home renovation stuff..etc
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
Gee wrote: I’m born here and I would offer you a drink, it’s common courtesy.
I’m not saying you wouldn’t, I’m saying the pattern I noticed is the most likely too are immigrants and old folks. Not every immigrant does, and not every 30-40 something does not.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)