Shopping Discussion

Do you trust Canadian Tire auto service?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 27th, 2024 2:45 pm
Oct 11, 2007
347 posts
52 upvotes
tasamy wrote: But if they break something on purpose, Would not that be a serious offense? I can not imagine they'll do that. How do they run their business?

I see not asking about "shampoo and dye" in first when they replaced the filter then they are asking for it now, is stealing!

I see here some ratings but not enough
http://www.mechanicratingz.com/ShowThingCats.jsp

I don't know much about cars. I have the engine leakage oil lamp is turned on sometimes, it goes off then comes back. If I am sick, OK, I'll go to see the doctor. Same here, I went to to CT service asking for help. They told me you need to replace the filter as well your battery should be replaced soon. OK, I'll do that. How much? paid. No problems, no oil sign, the car is great!
After five weeks, I found the engine oil sign is coming again and after accelerating it is going off. OK, I'll go back and ask them. The car does not start. I need to boast.

I went to them again as they make my car status worsen. I went in the beginning with the engine oil lamp on. Now the car doesn't start.

Should I ask for more help? Is that my bad luck? Did I go to the wrong guy? Should I take the course? What about the money they take from me last time?
tsamy,

In your case what's done is done. But I wouldn't just walk away. Go to them, ask to speak with a manager. Start calmly but firmly and tell him your concerns. Tell him that you think they did a bad job because your car became worse. Tell him you expect them to fix the problem and you do not expect to be charged for it. If they refuse let him know that you will not just walk away but will escalate it to the store manager, district manager and to headquarters.
99% he will just do it, as it is easier than dealing with someone who starts to escalate.

CT Auto is preying on inexperienced people or people who even if they realize they got screwed they would just let it go (sadly most people are like that). But once in awhile there are those that speak and and in those cases the manager will just fix it to avoid trouble. You just gotta be persistent.
Dec 11, 2008
944 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto
I believe that a valid consideration in the choice of auto repair is the quality of diagnostic equipment and training. Modern cars require more diagnostic equipment and training. Many very small shops may not have these. I have heard about a lawsuit where independant repair shops are suing automakers claiming that they are withholding training and information that would allow them to better perform services so that more consumers will use dealer repair facilities.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2008
2943 posts
614 upvotes
Newmarket
i do not trust canadian tire auto service.

when i was still a new driver (1995ish), i took my parents pathfinder in to the crappy tire in Aurora for a simple oil change. they did it in about 1/2 hour.. fine and dandy.

the story:
in all of their cars, my parents roll up an american $20 bill and hang it from the rear view mirror for good luck. i know it's there, i always see it. when the truck came out of service, the $20 was gone and i know one of those idiots took it.. i went to confront the service manager and of course they all deny it .. whatever it's $20 but it's the fact they stole out of the car just made me never to go back to them for service ever again.

of course since then, i've learned to change my own oil, brakes, rotors, plugs.. etc etc. real basic stuff so i don't have to waste my time and money bringing it to those monkeys.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2007
6367 posts
245 upvotes
RFD_Paul wrote: I believe that a valid consideration in the choice of auto repair is the quality of diagnostic equipment and training. Modern cars require more diagnostic equipment and training. Many very small shops may not have these. I have heard about a lawsuit where independent repair shops are suing automakers claiming that they are withholding training and information that would allow them to better perform services so that more consumers will use dealer repair facilities.
So true. Mechanics need to know a LOT of things because things are changing constantly. A good shop will have their mechanics take courses which are offered by many of the suppliers. Shops now require a lot of diagnostic equipment which is very expensive, and I've also heard about how the automakers are doing that (withholding information). They (auotomakers) are making it more and more difficult for the small independents to keep up with the changes as it's very expensive to upgrade everything all of the time. The automakers make more money from the repairs than they do from the sale of the cars. The cost of parts are unbelievable if you don't get the after market stuff.

I'm so glad I don't have to worry about finding a shop to repair my car as it's no picnic.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
3901 posts
2190 upvotes
Ontario
betamaxman wrote: Depends, If I know my radiator is bad I have no problem going to canadian tire and getting it replaced with a lifetime replacement unit, or if I know I need a muffler or tires, again no problem. If I need a mvi done or a diagnostic performed, NFW-ay. They're ok for oil changes if I am in a hurry.
That's pretty brave of you, assuming they'd actually install it correctly and/or not break anything else.
Kaboom! Kaboom! KABOOM!
Sep 6, 2007
282 posts
5 upvotes
Calgary
My personal rule on dealing with CT service is I will only let them do something that I am capable of doing if I had access to all the tools and a hoist. Classic example- when moving to Calgary I had my water pump go on me in the middle of Saskatchewan. (Ok, on the Sask/Alberta border,but I'm going with a "middle of nowhere" kind of feel to the story.) I managed to limp into Medicine Hat and about 1/2 a block from Canadian tire it just let go and started dumping coolant.

I had them replace the water pump; but not without a fight at the end. I told them "do nothing other than the water pump; I will be selling this car as soon as I get to Calgary." The proceeded to also replace all the belts. Not only that, but they charged me labour for the belts; labour which their own Mitchell manual shows that R&R of the belts is factored into the time allowed for the water pump.

One thing said earlier about CT techs being on comission; I think the same is true for many other repair shops. The trick is to find one that the service adviser believes in making his money by having repeat customers and a full shop. The best mechanics cannot get you in "that day" most of the time. When you do find a good mechanic; treat him like gold. A dozen donuts on the seat for a small job, or find out what he like to drink and have a bottle or a case of beer for a bigger job.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2009
1072 posts
77 upvotes
tasamy wrote: But if they break something on purpose, Would not that be a serious offense? I can not imagine they'll do that. How do they run their business?

I see not asking about "shampoo and dye" in first when they replaced the filter then they are asking for it now, is stealing!

I see here some ratings but not enough
http://www.mechanicratingz.com/ShowThingCats.jsp

I don't know much about cars. I have the engine leakage oil lamp is turned on sometimes, it goes off then comes back. If I am sick, OK, I'll go to see the doctor. Same here, I went to to CT service asking for help. They told me you need to replace the filter as well your battery should be replaced soon. OK, I'll do that. How much? paid. No problems, no oil sign, the car is great!
After five weeks, I found the engine oil sign is coming again and after accelerating it is going off. OK, I'll go back and ask them. The car does not start. I need to boast.

I went to them again as they make my car status worsen. I went in the beginning with the engine oil lamp on. Now the car doesn't start.

Should I ask for more help? Is that my bad luck? Did I go to the wrong guy? Should I take the course? What about the money they take from me last time?

You are saying your oil lamp is coming on? Wouldn't that indicate low oil pressure? you'll damage your engine without proper oil pressure.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/us1097.htm
Banned
Aug 19, 2005
3661 posts
4 upvotes
I'm glad we have our own honest mechanic, the manifold intake went in my brother's Chevy Venture and they quoted him from $1,100 to $1,600 to replace it (engine taken apart), our mechanic did it for $665.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
6241 posts
708 upvotes
Most I'd trust them with is an oil change and to change my tires.

Anything else and you're just asking to be ripped off.

My mechanic laughs when I tell him how much CT tries to charge me to supposed "repairs"

"WHAT?!?! You've got 6 months at least left on that part...and I would have charged you 1/3 of the price to replace it and install it for you"
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2007
6367 posts
245 upvotes
ken0042 wrote:

One thing said earlier about CT techs being on comission; I think the same is true for many other repair shops. The trick is to find one that the service adviser believes in making his money by having repeat customers and a full shop. The best mechanics cannot get you in "that day" most of the time. When you do find a good mechanic; treat him like gold. A dozen donuts on the seat for a small job, or find out what he like to drink and have a bottle or a case of beer for a bigger job.
Repeat customers are so important and you don't get repeat customers by scr*wing them over. Some of these larger shops are akin to a fast food restaurant like McD's et al.

Your point about the donuts and beer makes me think of a few things my husband gets from some of his "best" customers. We live north of Toronto in a semi rural area and there are a lot of hunters. In season he gets moose, bear, venison, fish, sausage, eggs, wine, rye, beer to name a few things. Oh, and sometimes even lobster.
Oct 11, 2007
347 posts
52 upvotes
Octavius wrote: Most I'd trust them with is an oil change and to change my tires.
I wouldn't do even that. They can
a) Overfill the oil and your engine will pretty much die (there are complains about that)
b) Screw on the oil filter incorrectly breaking the thread (yep, been done).
c) Not tighten wheel nuts properly
d) Over-torque wheel nuts so you will get warped rotors.

I'd stay away from that place completely.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3884 posts
1078 upvotes
Hamilton
they messed up the most simplest form of service, an oil change.

they stripped the threads right out of my girlfriends VW Jetta's oil pan. Guess they have never seen an aluminum oil pan before.

couldn't prove it was them, so we had to get it fixed ourselves. was so pissed
May 31, 2008
77 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
With any service there are good and bad. With CT that no different.

The first time I needed there service was for a tire being the only store open in town they were convienent. The Service was great.

The second time a belt broke. They fixed it the same day. They had the part for a 92 Cavalier. Great Service and concience.

The above two happen while I was out of the city.

My last expierence was ajoke. Just wanted a quick oil change. The guy is trying to tell me I need new brakes. I just laugh. The car was only 6 month old. My GM dealear just laugh. This was in Scarbrough.
Jan 4, 2008
773 posts
189 upvotes
Gatineau
tasamy wrote: I don't know much about cars. I am a new driver. I got an engine oil leakage last month. I went to Canadian Tire to fix that and as It was the time to replace the battery so I asked for installing a new battery. CT stuff told me that the oil filter needs to replaced. I installed a new battery and got a new oil filter package.

This was from 6 weeks. Now I noticed the car would not start (I need a boaster) as well I still have the engine oil lamp warning so basically bad battery has been installed as well engine oil leakage still there so I did not need the oil filter to be changed :( :( :( :( . I went to CT to fix these troubles. They asked me for $125 to shampoo and dye the engine before they check the oil leakage and $30 for checking the installed battery > :( . They gave me bad work and it seems they want to get more money. These are my feelings which may be incorrect! ;)

Can you please share your experience and advise me? Should I ask for more help? Is that my bad luck? Did I go to the wrong guy? Should I take the course? What about the money they take from me last time? Should I complain online? Should I ask for whatever I paid for the filter and the battery (a refund)? or that is gone? So they stole it and ran away? Should I go to another place and that is the last time to go to CT, I lost the money and it is gone!
My brother worked for them for 2 years, follow the advice on the board...STAY AWAY. He used to tell me some of the scams they used to do to unsuspecting customers
Jan 4, 2008
773 posts
189 upvotes
Gatineau
Kommander_KornFlakes wrote: Wow there are some idiots who will still go to Canadian Tire even though there are hundreds of other choices? :rolleyes:

My friend went there because his Honda Accord was overheating, they raised it up and left it there for 3 hours, then another 2 hours diddling with it, guess what? They charged him about $75 an hour, and also the 3 hours the vehicle was hoisted up while nobody was even touching it.
And this is one of the scams
Jan 4, 2006
503 posts
3 upvotes
North of Toronto
Octavius wrote: Most I'd trust them with is an oil change and to change my tires.
As mentioned in a previous post, I wouldn't even trust them with that. They didn't put a set of tires on correctly on my friends Mom's car and one of them literally almost fell off the car.
Jan 4, 2008
773 posts
189 upvotes
Gatineau
tdu wrote: As mentioned in a previous post, I wouldn't even trust them with that. They didn't put a set of tires on correctly on my friends Mom's car and one of them literally almost fell off the car.
I also should mention that my brother had an 8th grade education when they hired him (he was 23) Therefore brains aren't a requirement
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1942 posts
1109 upvotes
I worked for Canadian Tire (as a hardware associate), and the location I worked at will literally hire you on the basis of successfully passing an aptitude test. But that's a whole other story, and I HOPE that hiring procedures are different for the auto service bay.

That said, I do NOT trust Canadian Tire.

Two stories. One, a 1997 Pontiac Sunfire that was starting to show some mild lurching when brakes were applied, maybe a tiny bit of rough idle. Took it into CT. Got the car back WORSE than before, now the roug idle is more pronounced and happens more often. Went back, tried to tell them they did something wrong. They looked at it again, but insisted on charging again, and they did some simple thing like a coolant flush. Got the car back and it was now even WORSE, it felt like the Bucking Bronco ride at the amusement park. We finally decided it was maybe time for a new car and traded it in a few weeks later when the local dealership had a promotion.

Two years ago I needed snow tires for a new Toyota Matrix. The Toyota dealership was booking well into the next month, everyone going to Costco was telling stories about having to show up at 5am to get in line. My local Canadian Tire? "Oh, sure, we can do that tomorrow." That should have rung alarm bells but I really needed those tires. Well, I got them, they weren't balanced correctly, anytime I drove faster than 60 kph I could feel the car shaking, and it was downright scary at 120. Went back, asked them to rebalance, which they said they did, for free. It was slightly better, but still shaky. At that point I gave up. Also, they didn't manage to hook up the tire pressure sensor correctly so all winter I had a dashboard light on.

This past winter I had my dealership put the tires on for me while they were doing regular maintenance. Much better.