Cell Phones

Do you TURN OFF you Data, Wi-Fi and/or Bluetooth to SAVE BATTERY?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 2nd, 2021 12:48 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18575 posts
2306 upvotes
Woodbridge

Do you TURN OFF you Data, Wi-Fi and/or Bluetooth to SAVE BATTERY?

Happened today at work...

First, I thought he wanted to save data, I even ask him how much he has yes I'm nosey lol but he said it's to save battery.

He has an old iPhone.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
33 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5761 posts
540 upvotes
Toronto
Here is my controversial take on it:

- iPhone has (generally) smaller batteries but more optimized systems. Hence, saving battery will actually help you with battery - because each 1% goes longer way. IN the same breath, turning off isn't going to save you much - because system doesn't utilize services unless its authorized and needed.

- Even bigger factor - its much more involved (more than 1 click) to turn services on / off. Not a practical thing for most / heavy users.

Personally I don't know any iPhoner who goes anywhere for more than 7 hour without charger. (newer bigger iPhones are making more exception to this).

---------------------------

Android I always turn off GPS.
- I want google to spy as less as possible. I know they still track even as little as getting in / out of car (even when GPS off) but I dunno - I still do
- It has less to do with saving battery now
- It so easy to turn it on / off.
- I never turn off data services /wifi

----------------------------------------------------------

Bluetooth: I used to turn off - but now I start using "Link with PC" on android and OMG its a game changer! Now it keeps it on. It really needs more refinement but it works really well.
For Sale:
  • Powerful Constant Lights for Events / Photography
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4625 posts
1942 upvotes
GTA
No, I don't do any of that stuff and I see no point in it. I have apps like Tasker where I could automate all that if I wanted to but I don't consider it to be important especially for every day use.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
1891 posts
797 upvotes
Antarctica
Only thing off on mine is location / GPS because I don't use it much if at all. Turning off wifi, Bluetooth or data doesn't seem to make much of a difference in standby times so I no longer bother to manage those.
Feb 15, 2021
10 posts
7 upvotes
Am an Android guy.

Turn off data more to ensure it does not get wasted as I do not have much of it, not so much for battery. Do turn off Wi-Fi when leaving house to save battery.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2019
1400 posts
622 upvotes
All the time. And when home, I enable Airplane mode, turn on Wi-Fi and use Wi-Fi calling, except with Rogers/Fido, Wi-Fi calling is unreliable.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5880 posts
1255 upvotes
Montreal
I'm probably in Airplane mode 60% of the time including all night. I also don't want to waste data. I typically get 2 to 3 days out of my phone battery.

I also use an old iPad 2 just to read the morning newspaper online. I turn it off completely after I'm done and turn it on again the following morning. I typically get 5 to 6 days before I have to recharge its battery. Otherwise it would be a 1 day affair.
Phils
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4366 posts
1709 upvotes
GTA
I turn off my wifi/data/bluetooth,gps, enable power saving mode, lower the brightness to 0...
Oct 14, 2006
212 posts
97 upvotes
Richmond
I have Battery Widget Reborn disable my WiFi/Bluetooth/etc at night time and go to DoNotDisturb. I also went in and set the permissions for every app on my phone, restricting background data for 90%+ of them. Very little to nothing has access to my location. I even go so far as I use services like FB only in a web browser - the app shall not toucheth my phone! Thanks to having a Google Pixel, standby time is not a big deal... (Extreme Power Saver Mode works quite well!)
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3367 posts
1175 upvotes
Woodbridge
I do nothing to optimize the longevity of my battery. To me, I don't see the return on my effort to be worth it. Sure, my phone battery may die a few months earlier than it otherwise would have, but I'm likely replacing the phone long before that happens anyway. I've never replaced a phone because of battery issues, nor has battery life ever affected the utility of my device.
Dec 4, 2017
579 posts
256 upvotes
There is a long history of new mobile technology using a lot of power in the first one or two generations of production. Bluetooth and WiFi had their day for this. Now, it's 5G (which your co-workers iPhone is too old to have).

The main ways that I could see mobile data taking up a lot of battery power would be:
  1. Weak signal area leading to a struggle just to handshake with the tower
  2. Misbehaving app(s) in the background, which use battery power on their own, but may be idled by lack of data access
Some apps will use MORE data on WiFi!

My experience with phones that have near stock Android (Pixel, Nexus, Moto) is that, if you don't add any commercial apps or enable any battery-hungry settings (such as ambient display), they'll survive just fine on standby for several days. If your phone battery only goes down a few percent a day, you don't have to disable useful things to save power.

So, if I were your co-worker, I'd look for suspicious apps rather than inconvenience myself by shutting off data entirely.
Jun 4, 2013
687 posts
236 upvotes
Vancouver
Nope. BATTERY last more than a day anyways.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5048 posts
3577 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
My iPhone 12 Pro Max has such long battery life, I leave everything turned on even location services.
Current Fido and Rogers customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2013
1120 posts
465 upvotes
Markham
I turn off wifi/data/bluetooth when I sleep. Also, I don't turn on data unless I'm out and need it since I'm home all the time now anyways. And yea, if I'm out I turn off wifi since I'm not using it.
13:6W-365. 14:11W-2134. 15:10W-1749. 16:4W-8120. 17:11W-2797. 18:8W-210. 19:7W-466. 20:20W-9316.
Zoomer $40.50/6GB
Selling: Twin Mattress For Sale
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2016
1070 posts
576 upvotes
GTA
Android user here. I turn of gps, bluetooth, nfc and data when not in use.
______________________________________________________________________________________________

cheap phone bill = Public Mobile 13$ + 3GB data only eSIM plan 0$ + Google Pixel 3a XL
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4625 posts
1942 upvotes
GTA
Bluetooth and NFC battery usage is next to nothing so it's not that beneficial to turn those off. I guess if you never use those features then it's whatever but the convenience of having something auto-connect and to use things like Google Pay without having to manually turn those features back on is better.
Sep 5, 2017
466 posts
239 upvotes
I'm on android. I'm that person that turns off *everything* I don't need or use. For battery as well as privacy. I keep data on with the restrictor, for picture messages basically, all other possible apps denied background data.

I also am a minority still using greenify. It stops apps from running in the background, especially things you don't care about notifications for. The system will do this but it takes like 3 days or something. I like to do it as soon as I'm done using it for that time. It will do it automatically after 5 minutes.

As a rooted user I can also greenify system apps like say calculator or calendar that normally run all the time. Another bonus is you can totally remove system apps you don't care about at all, like say if you don't use an app ever, but the system may or may not even let you disable it let alone remove it for the space, I can. This takes some know how though, some apps you might not use on the surface but they're needed for the system to run properly, like say "BadgeProvider" that's the bubble on an app letting you know for instance how many emails you have.

That all said, depending on my usage I can get 2 even 3 days out of 1 charge Face With Tears Of Joy more free ram etc. Especially if not on a brand new device that can matter for app performance like say games
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2019
1400 posts
622 upvotes
PrinceMS wrote: Here is my controversial take on it:

- iPhone has (generally) smaller batteries but more optimized systems. Hence, saving battery will actually help you with battery - because each 1% goes longer way. IN the same breath, turning off isn't going to save you much - because system doesn't utilize services unless its authorized and needed.
I got a nice shock with my iPhone after updating to iOS 14.2 or 14.3. Normally, I don't have any battery degradation for at least 16+ months. I replaced my XS with one under warranty five months prior to updating to 14.2 or 14.3 my battery health dropped from 100% to 98%....just like that. Some users reported the same especially with older models, but with a greater percentage drop.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
1858 posts
1024 upvotes
The only thing I turn off is my wifi, the signal at work is spotty plus with limited access I'd rather use my own data.