Home & Garden

Do you turn off your water softener if going away?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2018 10:41 am
[OP]
Sep 26, 2015
347 posts
163 upvotes

Do you turn off your water softener if going away?

If you're going to be away from home for a few days (or more), are you turning off your water softener?
23 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2819 posts
1022 upvotes
No.

End of thread.
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2819 posts
1022 upvotes
Drakestar wrote:
Nov 15th, 2018 8:23 am
Not end of thread.
There really is nothing to add, there is absolutely no need to turn off a water softener when leaving the house for a few days (or more, even), in fact, it is a bad idea.
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
Jul 4, 2012
211 posts
49 upvotes
CAMBRIDGE
I only turn it off when I am going to be away for an extended period of time and will also be shutting off my main water valve.
Mar 19, 2013
695 posts
207 upvotes
Prince Albert, Sask.
Agree with boatracer. If I'm shutting my water off, I shut off my softner.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1491 upvotes
Montreal
After having my tank burst several years ago and cause a flood. All water gets shut off when I leave.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1330 posts
188 upvotes
Grimsby
I shut the water off and release the pressure, if you do that why the need to also shut the softener off?
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2013
1089 posts
485 upvotes
CALGARY
Magoo61 wrote:
Nov 15th, 2018 11:09 am
If entire water is shut, what happens to the humidifier that requires water? We are going away for few weeks during holidays and need to know about it. I was told if humidity is shutdown, we might see cracks on floor and window frames.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
7015 posts
6257 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
MrEmoji wrote:
Nov 15th, 2018 11:12 am
After having my tank burst several years ago and cause a flood. All water gets shut off when I leave.
I too had a softener tank let go on me, luckily I was home and caught it or would have been a flood.

Agree with shut off water if on vacation.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
1969 posts
987 upvotes
Magoo61 wrote:
Nov 15th, 2018 11:09 am
Why? I have gone on a few trips now ranging from 10-30 days - turned off the main water valve off but left the softener on - no issues. As soon as the water was turned back on it started softening
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4347 posts
1632 upvotes
Most softeners are set to regenerate (clean) themselves every day. If you’re not home you’re not using water so the softener regeneration cycle is redundant. I’d turn off the main and the softener any time you’re away for a night.
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1491 upvotes
Montreal
cartfan123 wrote:
Nov 15th, 2018 6:12 pm
I too had a softener tank let go on me, luckily I was home and caught it or would have been a flood.

Agree with shut off water if on vacation.
i meant all water, sorry about that.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1858 posts
616 upvotes
Kitchener
Red_Army wrote:
Nov 15th, 2018 8:17 pm
Most softeners are set to regenerate (clean) themselves every day. If you’re not home you’re not using water so the softener regeneration cycle is redundant. I’d turn off the main and the softener any time you’re away for a night.
softeners are not set to regenerate every day... that would be close to 200 gallons a day. Most softeners either regenerate on a calendar schedule, ie every 30 days or they measure flow and regenerate when required based on usage, this would generally still be less than once a month.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4347 posts
1632 upvotes
peelhic wrote:
Nov 15th, 2018 8:45 pm
softeners are not set to regenerate every day... that would be close to 200 gallons a day. Most softeners either regenerate on a calendar schedule, ie every 30 days or they measure flow and regenerate when required based on usage, this would generally still be less than once a month.
Not all softeners are built the same. You sound like you’re stuck in the 80’s in regards to softening machines and their efficiency.
You should go do some homework
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide