Cell Phones

Do you use an Android phone without recent security updates?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 27th, 2020 7:35 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
9729 posts
5625 upvotes

Do you use an Android phone without recent security updates?

How long would you go without the monthly Android security patches on your phone? 3 months? 6 months?

Is it a concern to you if your phone no longer receive security updates?
32 replies
Dec 5, 2016
26 posts
24 upvotes
I'm using a phone with the security patch level at "Apr 1, 2019". It's been abandoned by the manufacturer so I doubt it'll ever be updated in the future.
I've been using online banking and Google pay and etc, but didn't get 'hacked' yet. I don't think it'll be an issue as long as I update the apps & don't install anything from untrusted sources.
Even after I switch my phone, I'll probably keep the old one logged on and use it as a spare device.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18238 posts
2118 upvotes
Woodbridge
I'm not concerned, TBH I don't know really know how it works. So is mobile banking riskier?

My Huawei P30 Pro for awhile was stuck on February 2020. Until a week ago it got updated to May 2020.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4272 posts
1532 upvotes
GTA
Phones that come with Android 10 will have project mainline updates regardless of manufacturer. That's something... but not perfect.

I'm more security minded so I don't like the idea of using a phone that doesn't get updates. I would probably switch back to a Pixel if they ever improve on their hardware and quality control at least a little... oh and the pricing.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
20986 posts
22943 upvotes
Toronto
I'm still using my Samsung Galaxy A70. It got Android 10 on other carriers already but Rogers/Fido slow to roll it out. I'm on Android 9 with December patch
Images
  • Screenshot_20200622-124223_Software update.jpg
Things changed now that I’m a father, I can’t live my life a quarter mile at a time anymore.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1058 posts
450 upvotes
Canada
I used the phone I like the most, the Sony Z Ultra, until 2 years ago with the last update about 3 years before that. The OS was OK but all the apps' updates slowed it down to a crawl. There's never been any phone with as big a screen or as thin anymore in NA.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
32393 posts
6258 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I just accept the fact that I have to replace my phone every two years.

I don’t understand why people are so cheap with cell phones.

It is the one device that you have with you 24/7/365. It is the one device that is a constant part of your life. It is the one item that you use more than anything else you own. Why cheap out on it?
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1058 posts
450 upvotes
Canada
Gee wrote: I just accept the fact that I have to replace my phone every two years.

It is the one device that you have with you 24/7/365. It is the one device that is a constant part of your life. It is the one item that you use more than anything else you own. Why cheap out on it?
Do you actually just dispose of your 2yo phones or sell/give it on? Not disposing would be hypocritical.

The 2 years planned obsolescence is a hugely complete waste for costly phones from just a few hundreds to near 2k $. Throwing away good phones is not creating wealth, it's a broken windows fallacy.

Not everyone can easily throw away a perfectly good phone like you especially the large portion of the population working with poverty wages.

Many phones can be unlocked and flashed with custom rom to extend its useful life for many more years.

Even Apple is not that greedy and vicious with their old phones.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
32393 posts
6258 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
tntdeal wrote: Do you actually just dispose of your 2yo phones or sell/give it on? Not disposing would be hypocritical.

The 2 years planned obsolescence is a hugely complete waste for costly phones from just a few hundreds to near 2k $. Throwing away good phones is not creating wealth, it's a broken windows fallacy.

Not everyone can easily throw away a perfectly good phone like you especially the large portion of the population working with poverty wages.

Many phones can be unlocked and flashed with custom rom to extend its useful life for many more years.

Even Apple is not that greedy and vicious to their old phones.
I am hardly in the wealthy category. I don’t have a fancy car (Honda) and I don’t live in a mansion.

I don’t throw out anything, I try to sell it at market value or give away to someone that needs a phone. If you look at the messaging from Android, they provide two years of updates (sometimes it is stretched to 3) and then no more updates. That is when I know it is time to switch phones.

I don’t spend 2k on a phone, I spent 800$ on my current Pixel 3 XL and I skipped the 4 XL to meet my two year requirement. Now I am due for an upgrade this year

Some will argue that it is best to upgrade every year as that will allow you to minimize your spend. There is some validity to that argument, especially for Android. I spend 1000$ on a new phone, I can probably sell it for 500$ the year after, buy the current phone for 1000$ and I am now only spending 500$ a year. If I wait two years, that premium phone is now 300$ (if you’re lucky) with no updates and my spend is now 700$. Sure that works out to 350$ over two years but that is assuming you sell the obsolete phone. Even so, wouldn’t it be better to get a new phone every year to enjoy the features it has to offer for a little extra spend?

Also consider, how much slower is the phone over time? As the OS gets upgraded, the phone bogs down. What about battery life? The planned obsolescence is very real.

Apple isn’t greedy? Are you kidding? The top tier iPhone will set you back 2000$, that is double what it would cost with Android. At that price, you need to use that phone for 4 years. But what if you are a klutz and constantly drop it? How is the battery life after 2 years? Can you really stretch it 4 years? Do you want to?

Not sure where you got the idea that I simply throw out my cell phones every two years. I never said that. All I said was that I have come to grips with the fact that I need to replace my phone every two years.

Not sure what people with poverty wages fit into the conversation either. Those people can choose to replace their phone whenever they please. There is a healthy used market and they can get an older premium phone for the same price as a new entry level phone. It is their choice.

My argument is that if you are going to buy a device that you depend on every day and use every day, don’t cheap out
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1058 posts
450 upvotes
Canada
Gee wrote: I am hardly in the wealthy category. I don’t have a fancy car (Honda) and I don’t live in a mansion.

I don’t throw out anything, I try to sell it at market value or give away to someone that needs a phone. If you look at the messaging from Android, they provide two years of updates (sometimes it is stretched to 3) and then no more updates. That is when I know it is time to switch phones.

I don’t spend 2k on a phone, I spent 800$ on my current Pixel 3 XL and I skipped the 4 XL to meet my two year requirement. Now I am due for an upgrade this year

Some will argue that it is best to upgrade every year as that will allow you to minimize your spend. There is some validity to that argument, especially for Android. I spend 1000$ on a new phone, I can probably sell it for 500$ the year after, buy the current phone for 1000$ and I am now only spending 500$ a year. If I wait two years, that premium phone is now 300$ (if you’re lucky) with no updates and my spend is now 700$. Sure that works out to 350$ over two years but that is assuming you sell the obsolete phone. Even so, wouldn’t it be better to get a new phone every year to enjoy the features it has to offer for a little extra spend?

Also consider, how much slower is the phone over time? As the OS gets upgraded, the phone bogs down. What about battery life? The planned obsolescence is very real.

Apple isn’t greedy? Are you kidding? The top tier iPhone will set you back 2000$, that is double what it would cost with Android. At that price, you need to use that phone for 4 years. But what if you are a klutz and constantly drop it? How is the battery life after 2 years? Can you really stretch it 4 years? Do you want to?

Not sure where you got the idea that I simply throw out my cell phones every two years. I never said that. All I said was that I have come to grips with the fact that I need to replace my phone every two years.

Not sure what people with poverty wages fit into the conversation either. Those people can choose to replace their phone whenever they please. There is a healthy used market and they can get an older premium phone for the same price as a new entry level phone. It is their choice.

My argument is that if you are going to buy a device that you depend on every day and use every day, don’t cheap out
It's hypocritical to sell/give it on something you consider obsolete and useless. You do not practice what you preach.

I know the planned obsolescence is very real that's why I said it's a hugely complete waste.

High quality batteries can last very long, as the one on my old Z Ultra, only 3000mAh, paltry by today's standards, but still had 6h of SoT on working days and 8h on weekends after 5 years on a biggest screen phone ever in NA.

I didn't say Apple wasn't greedy. If you read carefully, I said "Apple is not that greedy". Their phones are costly but 5yo phones still get updates.

It's your personal choice to upgrade frequently or have as many and/or fancy phones as you want, but it's rather wrong to criticize and denigrate people for not making the same choice as you, especially for a false choice forced by greed.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
2690 posts
705 upvotes
Scarborough
Gee wrote: ...
Slip of the tongue of today Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
tntdeal wrote: ...
It's your personal choice to upgrade frequently or have as many and/or fancy phones as you want, but it's rather wrong to criticize and denigrate people for not making the same choice as you, especially for a false choice forced by greed.
Word (of today)!

My boss is still vely vely happy with her 2017 Blu which has zero update. Whatsapp/Utube intercoursing only.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
32393 posts
6258 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
tntdeal wrote: It's hypocritical to sell/give it on something you consider obsolete and useless. You do not practice what you preach.

What I consider obsolete maybe perfectly fine for someone else. If they don’t like what I am offering they don’t have to accept / buy it.

I am not criticizing people for their choice in phones, I am saying that there is a time to upgrade. When your phone is falling apart and you only get two hours on a full charge then it is time to consider getting a new phone. I don’t care if you buy an entry level model or a premium model. Don’t be cheap and replace the phone when it needs to be replaced.

If you think that Apple charging 2000$ for a premium phone is not greedy, then you have more dollars than I do. Tell me how well that 6s is running after 5 years
Samwfive wrote: Slip of the tongue of today Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
I think I see the problem.

My post was taken out of context. I am not asking anyone to buy premium phones. I am asking people to replace their phones when it needs to be replaced. Don’t be cheap and try to hang on to a 5 year old phone that is slowing dying.

I have a co-worker than is using an old iPhone, she calls me on it and there are constant problems with dropped calls, poor battery life etc. I can’t understand why she won’t buy a new phone, she uses this phones every day for work and it is constantly by her side. Yet, she will spend good money on a poor investment (Mercedes) but will not spend money on a reliable cell phone that she desperately needs for work. It boggles my mind

If you need a new phone, buy one. DON’T BE CHEAP
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1058 posts
450 upvotes
Canada
Gee wrote: What I consider obsolete maybe perfectly fine for someone else. If they don’t like what I am offering they don’t have to accept / buy it.

I am not criticizing people for their choice in phones, I am saying that there is a time to upgrade. When your phone is falling apart and you only get two hours on a full charge then it is time to consider getting a new phone. I don’t care if you buy an entry level model or a premium model. Don’t be cheap and replace the phone when it needs to be replaced.

If you think that Apple charging 2000$ for a premium phone is not greedy, then you have more dollars than I do. Tell me how well that 6s is running after 5 years

I think I see the problem.

My post was taken out of context. I am not asking anyone to buy premium phones. I am asking people to replace their phones when it needs to be replaced. Don’t be cheap and try to hang on to a 5 year old phone that is slowing dying.

I have a co-worker than is using an old iPhone, she calls me on it and there are constant problems with dropped calls, poor battery life etc. I can’t understand why she won’t buy a new phone, she uses this phones every day for work and it is constantly by her side. Yet, she will spend good money on a poor investment (Mercedes) but will not spend money on a reliable cell phone that she desperately needs for work. It boggles my mind

If you need a new phone, buy one. DON’T BE CHEAP
Not out of context and not slip of the tongue at all. You even repeated it multiple times. You have big problem with words. Understanding and using. Bye
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
32393 posts
6258 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
tntdeal wrote: Not out of context and not slip of the tongue at all. You even repeated it multiple times. You have big problem with words. Understanding and using. Bye
If you have a problem with my posts, I suggest you stop reading them. You’re welcome to block me.

I stand by what I said, DON’T BE CHEAP, if you need a phone, invest in one. It is something you use everyday. No where did I mention that you have to buy a premium phone
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1058 posts
450 upvotes
Canada
Gee wrote: If you have a problem with my posts, I suggest you stop reading them. You’re welcome to block me.

I stand by what I said, DON’T BE CHEAP, if you need a phone, invest in one. It is something you use everyday. No where did I mention that you have to buy a premium phone
There are many better ways to invest in a phone than being an a..ole telling people being cheap when they don't do it the way you do. It's nothing cheap buying a good phone and use it for as long as it is practical. Too hard to understand?

Do you also tell people buying or receiving your phones "don't be cheap"?