Travel

Do you use a burner phone when visiting US?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2017 5:22 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
1961 posts
597 upvotes
Toronto

Do you use a burner phone when visiting US?

With increased security powers to seize and open your devices, I'm not sure I want to bring my smartphone/laptop when I visit the US.

I'm not sure how nosy border security are. My tweets are certainly not kind to the current President.
I don't have anything illegal to hide, but would rather keep my private information private.

Perhaps bringing a cheap burner phone or even use a pay as you go phone once inside the US.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1950 posts
848 upvotes
HK
I personally don't, not as paranoid.
Dec 25, 2014
79 posts
16 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
It is not just your phone. If you have a laptop, they can search those too. If you are concern, don't bring those too. I have customs officer looked at my pictures on my DSLR too.

Technically, you can store all your info on the cloud. Once you are pass customs, you can always restore your phone from the cloud. When you leave the US, you can do a factory wipe before coming back to Canada.
May 29, 2012
511 posts
177 upvotes
Southern Ontario
i usually bring a separate phone. I have an old iphone that is in OK condition that I will bring whenever I travel. If I lose it wont be a big loss and its factory wiped so if somebody wants to inspect it they can.
I do it more for the chance of it getting lost or stolen over data security though.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4305 posts
1329 upvotes
Moncton
crassus wrote: Technically, you can store all your info on the cloud. Once you are pass customs, you can always restore your phone from the cloud. When you leave the US, you can do a factory wipe before coming back to Canada.
I made the mistake of deleting all my pictures, not realizing Google Photos keeps a thumbnail on the iOS device. So the nosy Canadian customs guy went threw months worth of low resolution thumbnails for 2 hours. On an other trip I had to log into my bank account to show I had the money to travel. To enter my own country of Canada!

Really tempted to troll them next time with screen grabs from Narcos and BestBuy.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
6881 posts
1305 upvotes
Scarborough
I don't travel to usa, but in general, i use an old flip-phone. It's just for emergencies/contact when i'm traveling. I don't have smartphone anyways so no need for it during travel.
No biggie if i don't have a phone. Just use a payphone or ask someone for a courtesy call, its easy.
They can check it all they want. We really have no rights as canadians when in the airport premises. Bcaz they can do wahtever and get away with it.
Jun 6, 2010
20 posts
2 upvotes
I use my regular phone and regular laptop.. I've got nothing to hide and not as paranoid..

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)