• Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2020 11:15 pm
[OP]
Jul 4, 2018
86 posts
18 upvotes
Vancouver

Do you use dealership for oil changes??

Quick question for everyone here as Im curious as to the answers. My Honda Civic just reminded me that its time for a service appointment (Oil and Filter change / tire rotation). Seeing as it is now just out of warranty.. do people continue taking the cars to the dealership.. or would you recommend going to get the Oil and Filter done at a mister lube ish kind of place or option C?

Evaluating my options as this service through Honda Canada costs $300+ LOL
I am a licensed Mortgage Broker in the Vancouver / Lower Mainland area.
178 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
32207 posts
18054 upvotes
Ottawa
Oil change only and nothing more.
What you are being quoted is for "inspection", which can be argued if its even done at all.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
7858 posts
4213 upvotes
Kootenays
It's cheap to get 0W-20 semi synthetic at my dealership ($54.95 IIRC) for my Venza. It's a loss leader for them. I just make sure they don't add a cabin air filter or engine air filter in the service, as I can buy 3 of each for what they charge for one. Even on sale, the oil and filter costs almost that if I was to do it myself.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
8343 posts
2484 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: I paid $450 for lifetime oil, lube, and filter changes at the dealer when I bought my Mazda 3 in 2007. Had 34 of them done over 11 years, works out to $13.24 each.
This is not a deal, you gave them the money up front, you are forced to use the dealer, they will up sell you, their maintenance schedules are not the same as the recommended schedule.
"Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people who have nothing to say"

"There are no bad teams, only bad leaders.”
Jun 21, 2009
488 posts
64 upvotes
You're going to hear a lot of opinions.

I have only taken my car to the dealership for recall work and when I need warranty.

All maintenance work I go elsewhere.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
34656 posts
8564 upvotes
Ottawa
blexann wrote: This is not a deal, you gave them the money up front, you are forced to use the dealer, they will up sell you, their maintenance schedules are not the same as the recommended schedule.
It is a very good deal. The potential upsell is your choice, has nothing to do with the oil change.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1147 upvotes
You can pay anywhere from under 30$ (DIY) to getting the full synthetic package with the fancy waiting room at close to $100 at some dealers. They will all accomplish the same thing, it's up to you on what you want to spend on "extras".
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
7720 posts
8438 upvotes
Vancouver
blexann wrote: This is not a deal, you gave them the money up front, you are forced to use the dealer, they will up sell you, their maintenance schedules are not the same as the recommended schedule.
It was a deal.
I paid <$15 per oil change.
They tried to upsell me.
I refused their upsells and went by the manufacturer's recommended schedule.
Saying no isn't that hard.
May 30, 2009
61 posts
111 upvotes
Kitchener
Only while I'm under warranty. After that I do them myself.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
6242 posts
5149 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Dealer is less than 10 minutes away, prices are reasonable, the folks are nice and the coffee tastes good
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2013
4583 posts
1800 upvotes
markham
dealer for '15 vw diesel....$100 ..seems very reasonable.
Oct 21, 2006
364 posts
177 upvotes
how hard is it to DIY oil change on that particular civic? op do you have a set of ramps and some basic hand tools? I understand sometimes it's not possible due to space limitations and restrictions.
Jan 22, 2017
249 posts
157 upvotes
GTA
I prefer to go to a mechanic where I can see the work being done. Re: igarage

YMMV but at a dealership, you'll likely have unprofessional kids working on your car. I remember walking into a Ford dealership in Scarborough and I nope'd the hell out of there.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
32207 posts
18054 upvotes
Ottawa
papermate2 wrote: I prefer to go to a mechanic where I can see the work being done. Re: igarage

YMMV but at a dealership, you'll likely have unprofessional kids working on your car. I remember walking into a Ford dealership in Scarborough and I nope'd the hell out of there.
After my first free courtesy oil change at Ford, I went back a 2nd time and paid $140 for an oil change, plus inspection and caught the tech on camera doing nothing else other than changing the oil...never again!