Cell Phones

Do you use a screen protector or not?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 2nd, 2016 9:33 pm

Poll: Do you use a screen protector or not?

• Total votes: 51. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

65%
No

35%
[OP]
Oct 12, 2014
711 posts
224 upvotes
London, ON

Poll

I already have a small scratch on my 7+
Public Mobile
$38 month
5GB Data
Unlimited international texting
Unlimited Canada-wide minutes
19 replies
Sep 30, 2012
114 posts
25 upvotes
Vancouver
I always use a glass screen protector.

However, I just took it out on my Note 4, because it cracked. I am due for a renewal, so I am going naked for now and it feels so good. Screen looks better and swiping feels better. I might go naked with my next phone.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18298 posts
2159 upvotes
Woodbridge
Always. Don't really care if it's Tempered Glass or Film and even when I didn't use a case.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3537 posts
770 upvotes
I use to use the invisable / Zagg stuff until tempered glass now it's all tempered glass on all phones.

The tempered glass with good coating feels like glass.
Heatware 3-0
Homer Simpson - Marge, don't discourage the boy! Weaseling out of things is what separates us from animals - except for the weasel.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4360 posts
1621 upvotes
GTA
I always use tempered glass protectors, not just for protecting against damage to the screen but for the oleophobic properties too. It keeps the screen smooth and smudges to a minimum. Once the coating wears off, I just pop a new protector on and it's as if it was brand new.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 14, 2006
9526 posts
950 upvotes
Long story short, forced to use one now.

Didn't know sweat after playing sports could destroy the oleophobic coating on our phones - had to put a tempered glass protector on to restore the coating.
Aug 1, 2005
892 posts
87 upvotes
Burnaby
It's becoming difficult to use tempered glass protectors since nearly all new phones have this stupid "2.5D curvature" on the edges of the phone display glass. The protectors end up creating halo effects on the edges due to this.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
3366 posts
2039 upvotes
Vancouver
jlo mein wrote: It's becoming difficult to use tempered glass protectors since nearly all new phones have this stupid "2.5D curvature" on the edges of the phone display glass. The protectors end up creating halo effects on the edges due to this.
Get the more expensive edge to edge glass protectors. They match the curvature even on phones like the Edge.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
13029 posts
6847 upvotes
Southern Ontario
MrBanks321 wrote: Poll

I already have a small scratch on my 7+
Been using one at least 5y, was never a fan of the hard plastic film, or the ones you had to wet first and squeegee out.
It was not until Zagg came out with tempered glass at 2014 CES, closest thing to the naked glass. Later in the year, other companies made them, and they were cloned now selling on eBay for $1 shipped.

The premium brand names are higher quality, fingerprint/smudge less and can run edge to edge.
I don't doubt they've saved my screen from shattering the handful of drops I've had.

New phone screens as you know still scratch, and the oleophobic coating does wear off where it gets hazed and doesn't slide as smooth.
In fact, if you put a tempered glass protector on it now, the scratch may likely be no longer visible... I think some resellers know this.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
32599 posts
6368 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I find that the glass screen protectors are too thick. Even 0.2 mm is too thick for me.
Oct 30, 2016
4 posts
1 upvote
I never used a protector on my phone, but my screen has been broken, so it's necessary for protect your phone.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
13029 posts
6847 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Depends what is important to you. I want it to work and feel just like the native glass, it's not that thick to me.
I find plastic films I've tried:
-scratch easier than TG
-fingerprint more
-lose their slickness as it develops micro abrasions and its coating wears off
-are more reflective (but you are using matte so not relevant I think)

The first time I saw a Zagg TG on a friend's phone shortly after release, I thought it was the native glass, sold on TG since.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
32599 posts
6368 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
That's why I use matte

There is no reflections, no fingerprints, is not that easy to scratch. The coating will eventually wear off. On my Nexus 7, it has been 3 years and it is still good. I would say a 40% loss in coating. However, on my Nexus 9, it was less than a year and the screen protector developed a bent

The main advantage is glass doesn't develope bends
Banned
Oct 18, 2016
34 posts
21 upvotes
After a few unsuccessful attempt to defend my phone from scratches and cracks I always use glass screen protector. Some time ago my phone fell down, as a result the screen was broken, in spite of the fact that it has had a protective film. No long ago it fell down again, glass screen protector was cracked, but the screen remained whole. Make the findings ...