Careers

Do you use your own equipment to work from home? Bank is asking me to use my own laptop

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 10th, 2021 9:58 pm
[OP]
Jun 18, 2012
27 posts
4 upvotes
TORONTO

Do you use your own equipment to work from home? Bank is asking me to use my own laptop

So I am gonna start a new job soon and they called me today to let me know that they will send me at home a VPN token and nothing else. I asked about a laptop and they said that every employee use their own equipment. Is this normal?

I am worried about the privacy part, I would prefer to keep my personal information separate than work information.
56 replies
Apr 19, 2017
5 posts
3 upvotes
There's usually security concerns with people using there own equipment and connecting into a work network.

A company isn't able to manage or monitor what goes on in a personal device which is why they normally don't let them connect to their network.

I would think a bank , who has people's sensitive personal information would be more vigilant.
Dec 27, 2005
603 posts
117 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I think few companies do that . I believe it's called a VDI but I'm not a techie
Sep 25, 2020
119 posts
55 upvotes
Lunita wrote: So I am gonna start a new job soon and they called me today to let me know that they will send me at home a VPN token and nothing else. I asked about a laptop and they said that every employee use their own equipment. Is this normal?

I am worried about the privacy part, I would prefer to keep my personal information separate than work information.
Maybe you have a contract job?
And not full time?
[OP]
Jun 18, 2012
27 posts
4 upvotes
TORONTO
canada85000 wrote: Maybe you have a contract job?
And not full time?
No, it's a permanent position but a US bank
Jul 29, 2013
58 posts
62 upvotes
Calgary
Likely using virtual desktops - ie: vdi.

Your machine will connect to a VPN and you'll remote into a vdi instance which will talk to their internal applications.

Hence your personal "stuff" will never touch their stuff as you'll be in a remote session on a desktop in their infrastructure.

Not abnormal by any means for covid remote working.
Dec 1, 2020
672 posts
305 upvotes
paf wrote: I think few companies do that . I believe it's called a VDI but I'm not a techie
Ya. And I'm also not a bank for my employer to reduce its costs. I'm making lots of comprises working from home but if this crap is permanent, I'll be asking for paid internet. Paid separate phone line, ergonomic assessment and all required office furniture paid. I'll be dammed if my company chops 50 off its RE costs on to my bloody back.
I likely do not care.
[OP]
Jun 18, 2012
27 posts
4 upvotes
TORONTO
XmasTreelights wrote: Ya. And I'm also not a bank for my employer to reduce its costs. I'm making lots of comprises working from home but if this crap is permanent, I'll be asking for paid internet. Paid separate phone line, ergonomic assessment and all required office furniture paid. I'll be dammed if my company chops 50 off its RE costs on to my bloody back.
Yes, my laptop is old and slow, there is no way I will be able to do any work so I am considering getting a new one
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2295 posts
1438 upvotes
Not normal.

We sent everyone company issued laptop’s to use while WFH.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
1676 posts
1430 upvotes
Ottawa
That's definitely not normal for an employee of the company. Our IT department couriers a laptop with same day delivery, sign on delivery, and an ID check the day new remote employees start.

It's not unusual for companies to require contractors to use their own equipment and just remote in to a virtual instance for any secure software they need to access, though.

My previous company issued laptops, but our internal and secure systems were so segregated that every remote employee needed to use 2 step auth into a VPN, and then a second set of 2-step auth using a second token to get into a virtual instance that was the only gateway to the secure network. Even while on site, we had to 2 step authenticate to a virtual instance to access the tools.

That wasn't for everyone, though. Only a dozen of us had access to those secure systems.

Critical infrastructure is fun times.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1775 posts
624 upvotes
Elgin, ON
I work from home using my own (old) laptop. I log into the work network via vpn. I also use my own cell phone.

My situation is a bit unique, because I chose to move to another city, quite far from my employer's office. I was very willing to make some concessions in order to keep my job, and the same salary I was earning while working in the office full time.
Sep 24, 2010
15 posts
6 upvotes
NickL645 wrote: Likely using virtual desktops - ie: vdi.

Your machine will connect to a VPN and you'll remote into a vdi instance which will talk to their internal applications.

Hence your personal "stuff" will never touch their stuff as you'll be in a remote session on a desktop in their infrastructure.

Not abnormal by any means for covid remote working.
Yes, came to say the same. Not everyone does this but seems to be turning more into the norm. At my company (large global corp), they have all contractors doing this and have given f/t people the option. I imagine they'll eventually make this the norm for f/t people as well. Would be nice if they take some of those equipment savings and pass it along to employees tho.
Oct 19, 2008
192 posts
179 upvotes
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Lunita wrote: Yes, my laptop is old and slow, there is no way I will be able to do any work so I am considering getting a new one
You might be surprised. In a proper VDI/Digital workspace deployment the device in front of you is just pushing pixels. In a past life, we would do customer demos with running Autocad on an iPad because the iPad was just a display. The application is running "on the cloud."
Many people view true BYOD work from anywhere capability as a positive.
*Edit: I had a former colleague work from an Apple TV with a keyboard connected for a week when he had issues with his PC. This kind of technology is pretty empowering.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11910 posts
2312 upvotes
Toronto
My old PC based worked was like that when they used PC. It opens up a new window that fully goes into their network. While my normal outside connection was unaffected.
Dec 10, 2006
88 posts
27 upvotes
Thornhill
This isnt really normal for a big company.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11744 posts
4048 upvotes
Toronto
Lunita wrote: Yes, my laptop is old and slow, there is no way I will be able to do any work
Tell them that and request a work laptop
A laptop is nothing for an established company, let alone a bank.

Ask to provide one.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3598 posts
1148 upvotes
Edmonton
MP3_SKY wrote: Tell them that and request a work laptop
A laptop is nothing for an established company, let alone a bank.

Ask to provide one.
If he wants to work. He needs to have all the tools he needs to work, whether it's buying tools or in this case a computer.

Mechanic buys his own tools, rigwelder buys his own machine, a paper pusher gets his own laptop

Else he can just get a different job.
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Jun 18, 2020
670 posts
555 upvotes
tmkf_patryk wrote: If he wants to work. He needs to have all the tools he needs to work, whether it's buying tools or in this case a computer.

Mechanic buys his own tools, rigwelder buys his own machine, a paper pusher gets his own laptop

Else he can just get a different job.
To me, seems like rather than say this person should buy a laptop, I'd be more inclined to ask why a mechanic buys his own tools. Are most self employed or under some odd contractor status?

I've heard chefs bring their own knives. Always seemed odd as well.

Obviously there's an opportunity wrt tech where I guess it could make sense, problem is with iPads and such, many don't have laptops.

A big US bank should provide. This isn't like doing bookkeeping for the local barber.