Food & Drink

Do you wash the pre-washed bagged/boxed salads from the grocery stores?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 23rd, 2015 8:12 pm
Tags:
None

Poll: Do you wash pre-washed salads?

• Total votes: 15. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

20%
No

80%
I don't eat salads

0%

Poll ended at Aug 13th, 2015 11:46 am

[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2504 upvotes

Do you wash the pre-washed bagged/boxed salads from the grocery stores?

My sibling doesn't wash the pre-washed salad greens bought from the grocery store. The sibling is still alive, so I started to do the same thing. Some brands say they are "triple washed", which seems consoling. What do you do?
8 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2011
2715 posts
968 upvotes
Yellowknife
Becks wrote: My sibling doesn't wash the pre-washed salad greens bought from the grocery store. The sibling is still alive, so I started to do the same thing. Some brands say they are "triple washed", which seems consoling. What do you do?
June 24, 2015 media release
Cyclosporiasis, a stomach illness linked to food or water contaminated with the cyclospora parasite -- which is transmitted through infected feces -- hit Texas this week, sickening 42 people. A total of 54 have been sickened by the parasite in the state this year.

Though health officials don't know the source of the outbreak yet, a 2013 outbreak in Texas that sickened more than 270 people was linked to fresh cilantro, bagged salad mix, raspberries and basil, reported CBS Dallas/Forth Worth.

Symptoms of cyclosporiasis include watery diarrhea, loss of appetite, weight loss, stomach cramps, bloating, gas, nausea and fatigue, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Health officials recommend washing all produce, though only cooking will kill the parasite, according to the Texas Department Of State Health Services website.
nuff said?
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
3261 posts
1396 upvotes
I don't, but I rarely buy the stuff anymore. Over the past few months I have found it wilty and not worth the price.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23356 posts
4812 upvotes
Niagara Falls
You very likely should, I'm just too lazy to do so.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2007
1337 posts
261 upvotes
Triple-washed just sounds so thorough...but if it were, why do they need to wash it 3 times!?! haha. I wonder what this consists of? Salad spinner with water, drained and rinsed 3x?

But to answer; I rarely wash them a 4th time...
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2010
2742 posts
408 upvotes
Mississauga
i occasionally eat them and if it say washed, i don't wash it again but will finish the box within 2 days
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29332 posts
14839 upvotes
Isn't that the point of buying a convenience product?
Not that I understand the point of buying it anyway... just buy the ingredients and take a knife to it.
Plus you know it's been washed and picked through if you do it.
Jul 12, 2015
429 posts
556 upvotes
I never did until one day my mom came over for dinner and she took the pre-washed packaged spinach and washed it again. I couldn't believe the amount of grit and dirt that was in the water. So yeah, I stopped buying pre-washed greens after that. Not going to pay more to still have to wash them myself.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18377 posts
1360 upvotes
Elmira
I don't recommend it for the simple reason you better salad spin the hell out of it, or go to town with a paper towl blotting up all the excess water. Plus, you need to instantly dress it as soon as you dry it. If you don't dry it enough, salad is ruined because the water prevents the oil based dressing from sticking properly. If you wash it, dry it, and don't use it right away, it gets tough as sandpaper.

It's a lose lose situation really unless you're willing to eat it directly from the bag
a closed mind is already defeated