Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2782 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto

Do you wear a suit for interviews?

I feel like wearing a suit for non-management positions are kind of overkill, what are your thoughts?
63 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2782 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
I have an interview tomorrow, and I'm not sure whether to go full "battle armor" charcoal suit.
May 10, 2015
513 posts
84 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
better be overdressed than under

unless you are applying for labor job. then again i saw a guy going to a walmart interview in a suit before LOL
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2782 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
BukLau303 wrote: better be overdressed than under

unless you are applying for labor job. then again i saw a guy going to a walmart interview in a suit before LOL
I'm just not sure whether the interviewer would think I'm giving off the "I'm the boss" aura.

I don't know where I've read it, but there was a website saying that it seems even weirder if you're much more well-dressed than the interviewer or the manager/boss.
May 13, 2008
119 posts
22 upvotes
I usually just use common sense when it comes to a decision like this, like BukLau303 said, if it's a grocery store clerk interview or something of that order... it's prolly not the best idea to wear a full suit. I think most of the time it's better to wear a suit though, shows that you're serious about the job.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2010
1638 posts
517 upvotes
Alpha Centauri
blitzforce wrote: I feel like wearing a suit for non-management positions are kind of overkill, what are your thoughts?
You're overthinking this. If they promote from within, you will give them a sneak preview of how you would appear as a manager.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2782 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
HotYaris wrote: You're overthinking this. If they promote from within, you will give them a sneak preview of how you would appear as a manager.
That's actually an excellent answer to my question.
Sep 17, 2014
22 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto, ON
It depends on the type of the job, if it is in finance or consulting yes, I would highly recommend you to wear a suit.But if it is in engineering or even technical role in a bank, NOOOOO, just a casual business dress would be fine!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
7675 posts
10976 upvotes
Scarbs
Full battle armor. Always.
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5242 posts
3520 upvotes
If not a suit, a very perfectly ironed shirt and nice tie would suffice.

I prefer suit because a wrinkly shirt looks terrible and suit jacket would hide that nicely.

I don't know why, but sometimes I get candidates who completely under dress because I'm a recruiter...
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2007
1863 posts
344 upvotes
Woodbridge
yes ,usually minus the jacket.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
2050 posts
925 upvotes
HK
How about you tell us the company name and the role you will be doing. We can provide a definitive answer based on that. Help us help you.
Dec 25, 2006
371 posts
62 upvotes
Waterloo
Telomian wrote: It depends on the type of the job, if it is in finance or consulting yes, I would highly recommend you to wear a suit.But if it is in engineering or even technical role in a bank, NOOOOO, just a casual business dress would be fine!
What is wrong with the suit for a technical role in a bank?
Sep 17, 2014
22 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto, ON
bramptonmt wrote: What is wrong with the suit for a technical role in a bank?
You don't want to end up suit up and sitting in front of a bunch of kids in blue shorts and red t-shirts. You may even google your question, I am sure you'll find similar answer. Casual business is the safest option.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2782 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
McKinsey wrote: How about you tell us the company name and the role you will be doing. We can provide a definitive answer based on that. Help us help you.
Accounting job in an office environment.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)