• Nov 10th, 2020 9:55 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9953 posts
5099 upvotes
Markham

Do your kids use discord app?

My son is in grade 5 now and he is taking online class. He told me today his friends use discord to chat and he wants to use it as well

I actually never heard of it until today, just took a look and it seems just like whatsapp? Is this app popular in kids/schools ? Is it safe?

Thanks
9 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3481 posts
1259 upvotes
Woodbridge
It's very popular among the Grade 7/8 students that I teach. The app itself is popular among gamers and streamers. You can create servers with a variety of voice and text channels and incorporate bots and games. Many popular YouTubers or streamers may have their own Discord server which their fans can join to access content, receive notifications for upcoming live streams and interact with other fans. Its functionality goes way beyond that of Whatsapp or Snap or IG or other tools that kids use for chat. I definitely think that it should be monitored as your son could easily join servers beyond the one that he uses with his friends to chat and could be exposed to a variety of things.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4683 posts
2801 upvotes
Nothing is safe on the internet

Discord is great, and just came across a great article of how Discord evolved: https://www.protocol.com/discord

I use it for gaming, to stay connected with clan mates as they automate scheduling, attendance etc. Really neat scripts and bots they have built.

I started using it for recruiting, tons of interest channels in there, Canadian investor for live chat for day traders. There's also a cool channel to learn new languages by practicing with others.

It's best to educate kids on internet safety, you can't monitor every moment and every person they interact with.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9953 posts
5099 upvotes
Markham
bhrm wrote: Nothing is safe on the internet

Discord is great, and just came across a great article of how Discord evolved: https://www.protocol.com/discord

I use it for gaming, to stay connected with clan mates as they automate scheduling, attendance etc. Really neat scripts and bots they have built.

I started using it for recruiting, tons of interest channels in there, Canadian investor for live chat for day traders. There's also a cool channel to learn new languages by practicing with others.

It's best to educate kids on internet safety, you can't monitor every moment and every person they interact with.
You have sound judgment, I don't know whether grad 5 kid has that one :)
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3481 posts
1259 upvotes
Woodbridge
bhrm wrote: It's best to educate kids on internet safety, you can't monitor every moment and every person they interact with.
Yes it is, and no you can't; however, developmentally speaking, children need to reach a certain stage before they're able to understand and apply that education. Until then you either need to monitor periodically or restrict. Some fifth graders have the maturity and capacity to exercise sound judgement online, some 30-year-olds do not. But parents should certainly be aware of the ways that Discord can be used and misused. I should also note that Discord's Terms of Service restrict access to their service to those 13 and older. They don't do any age verification, but those are their terms.

When used appropriately, it can be a pretty robust tool. I actually think it would be a great tool in the classroom but it's blocked at school. It combines a lot of the functionality of Google Meet/Google Classroom and Google Chat and then some all in one place. There's a tab here for Parents and Educators that provides some good info - https://discord.com/safety
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4683 posts
2801 upvotes
I thought Discord min age was 16?

Typically it's easy to screen them out...and most will unknowingly disclose their age....which also means they know nothing about internet safety.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4683 posts
2801 upvotes
smartie wrote: You have sound judgment, I don't know whether grad 5 kid has that one :)
Solutions:
Keep computer in shared space
or plug it into a 82" TV so EVERYONE can see :)
Plus you get a TV.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3481 posts
1259 upvotes
Woodbridge
bhrm wrote: I thought Discord min age was 16?

Typically it's easy to screen them out...and most will unknowingly disclose their age....which also means they know nothing about internet safety.
“2. What is the minimum age to be on Discord? How do you ensure teens under 13 can’t create an account?

Discord's Terms of Service requires people to be over a minimum age to access our app or website. The minimum age to access Discord is 13, unless local legislation mandates an older age.

To ensure that users satisfy that minimum age requirement, we are in the process of rolling out a gate that asks them to confirm their date of birth upon creating an account. If a user is reported as being under 13, we lock them out of their account until they can verify their age using an official ID document. “ - https://discord.com/safety/360044149591 ... -questions

I like your big-screen TV idea!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9953 posts
5099 upvotes
Markham
OntEdTchr wrote:
I like your big-screen TV idea!
Could be a good excuse for Black Friday shopping.

Need check Netflix and HBO program first
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2012
3084 posts
844 upvotes
Toronto
Many gamers use discord.
¯\_(・_・)_/¯