Computers & Electronics

Do your throw out your computer component and accessories boxes?

• Last Updated:
  • May 3rd, 2015 12:02 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2010
2245 posts
456 upvotes
Toronto

Do your throw out your computer component and accessories boxes?

Do you keep the boxes from your computer parts, components and electronics? Do you keep them for used-resale value later? Does having a box matter for resale value?
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8477 posts
3049 upvotes
Maple
I keep the boxes for storage later or getting model #. It may get some resale value.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2005
1593 posts
50 upvotes
yogakun wrote: Do you keep the boxes from your computer parts, components and electronics? Do you keep them for used-resale value later? Does having a box matter for resale value?
I discard them after the warranty period expires.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7154 posts
1481 upvotes
Toronto
once the value of the device drops below 50%, I through out the boxes usually.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2010
5504 posts
1701 upvotes
Kanata
I keep them till warranty, then use them for other storage. Some of those boxes are really good quality.
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
13456 posts
2647 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Some I do, some I don't. I generally keep the case box, and throw extra boxes in the empty case box. Things like keyboard and mouse boxes I won't keep, unless I have an extra keyboard/mouse that I can put in the box.

I would keep monitor boxes, since it helps when moving/selling.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
1971 posts
318 upvotes
Vancouver
rabbit wrote: Some I do, some I don't. I generally keep the case box, and throw extra boxes in the empty case box. Things like keyboard and mouse boxes I won't keep, unless I have an extra keyboard/mouse that I can put in the box.

I would keep monitor boxes, since it helps when moving/selling.
same here.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2014
5219 posts
1674 upvotes
Toronto
as above, i just use my case box and filled it with all my PC stuff and stuffed it away in some closet.

never know if i will need it - but it wont hurt resale one bit.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14683 posts
4788 upvotes
Montreal
I keep the boxes for video cards and motherboards, as that certainly does increase the resale value, but otherwise, there is no use. once the warranty is up the rest get tossed.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
13456 posts
2647 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
If you're the type of person who likes bleeding edge tech, and sell your current stuff to help pay for the new stuff, then keep the box. If you're like me, whose latest computer still uses DDR2, no box and/or documents is going to help resale value :D .
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16625 posts
2328 upvotes
yogakun wrote: Do you keep the boxes from your computer parts, components and electronics? Do you keep them for used-resale value later? Does having a box matter for resale value?
I mostly throw everything out - resell value is peanuts on computer hardware so it's not worth being "pristine".

Except for Apple gear and other higher end components.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2687 upvotes
Vancouver
Generally I have kept the boxes, throwing the boxes for components into the larger case box for desktops like others mentioned. But increasingly I think it's a waste of space, and I would probably throw them out in future unless I have a particular use for them, e.g., to keep spare parts and cables organized.

There are only a few rare occasions when I have found any use at all for saved boxes:

1. Immediate return of defective part. That's limited to a few weeks, so no need to keep the box for this purpose after that time.

2. Warranty return packaging. But original packaging is not required, and you'll probably want to use the most compact possible packaging for shipping.

3. Selling or giving a component to someone else. They appreciate getting all the original packaging, parts, discs and documents. But it happens so rarely these days since almost everything is obsolete by the time you want to get rid of it. It's not worth the storage space just to keep the box. You can always keep the discs, documents, and cables/pieces in a bag.

4. Moving and storage. Not necessary for items that are already installed inside a desktop computer, nor for items that are small, nor for items that are big enough to require special treatment. Only useful for a very small subset of items that are big enough to need their own box, but not big enough to move as a separate furniture item.