• Last Updated:
  • Sep 2nd, 2016 1:18 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3725 posts
479 upvotes
MONTR

Doable new tile over old tiles

Neighbor was saying he got some company to just put tile over tile in his bathroom. It was quick and cheap.
Not in the mood to scoop up the entire floor but want it to look better than the checkered board look of the 60s.
Would need about 28 square feet of tiles and polymer mortar.
10 replies
Apr 4, 2006
137 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
If the subfloor and tiles are solid then it would be ok (flooring height would increase)

Make sure to use something like the following so you dont need to scuff the old tiles

ECO Prim Grip ECO Prim Grip - Mapei
http://www.mapei.com/public/CA/products ... _EN_lr.pdf

I have used it in the past with great results
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2012
5381 posts
5000 upvotes
Toronto
Seems like ripping out 28 sq ft of tile would be worth the effort. If you were doing 1000 sq ft and flipping the house, then I get the desire, but really, if this is your house, get out the hammer and rip the tile out. Chances are the subfloor isn't up to snuff for whatever you want to put down anyhow.

Rip it out, get 2 layers of plywood subfloor down, put a heated floor in and some nice tile. Or don't bother at all and put a large bath mat on the floor and live with the 60's tile. It will be back in fashion soon enough :)
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18945 posts
10527 upvotes
The key to doing this is prep work - you need to contact the manufacturer of the thinset you plan to use and follow their directions. They may ask you to use a cleaning or bonding agent, and some with have you scarify the floor (basically scratch it up). What I would do is contact Mapei or another big company and ask them which products you need to use for this. They will be happy to sell them all to you - and this is a common enough scenario that they will have a complete "system" of products and installation instructions for a DIYer.

Above all else, your existing floor has to be solid.

My opinion is to rip out existing, but many people just lay over top perfectly fine.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
I'm on the rip it up side too. It took about 90 minutes with an air chisel to take up 40 sq ft in our reno this weekend. Ymmv. We had large square slate tiles.

C
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
2712 posts
1058 upvotes
Three words. DO IT RIGHT.

It's only 28 square feet....rip it out.
Nov 30, 2015
453 posts
242 upvotes
GTA, ON
jrees wrote: Three words. DO IT RIGHT.

+1. And is the toilet flange is going to be raised to the new tile height? Door to cut? And would I like the 1/2 or 3/4 inch higher transition from bathroom to the hallway? Hmmm. Wonder what Mike Holmes would do? Complete new bathroom with heated floors, new plumbing and electricals? LOL.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
17068 posts
1830 upvotes
Thornhill
I'd rip it out. Just be careful if you run into any mastics or adhesives - possible asbestos. I don't think thinsets had asbestos.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
11038 posts
1546 upvotes
Brampton
jrees wrote: Three words. DO IT RIGHT.

Exactly!
The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
Jul 23, 2004
2312 posts
907 upvotes
Montreal
I know people that have done it. Then end up with a higher floor. It looks bad and then you need to cut doors, etc.

If you're gonna install new tiles, do it right and remove the old floor.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
7631 posts
2175 upvotes
I vote for doing it right too. You will regret it.