Health & Wellness

Doctor told me to get a blood test done in early May, is it too late to get it done by now?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 15th, 2022 2:24 pm
Nov 2, 2017
215 posts
35 upvotes

Doctor told me to get a blood test done in early May, is it too late to get it done by now?

Good Afternoon,

I went to the clinic on May 5th, after a basic checkup, the doctor requested that I get a blood test done.

I was extremely busy the past two months, and stil have not gotten the blood test done,
is it too late to still get it done?

Thanks,
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8524 posts
2941 upvotes
0 downvotes
No its not too late. If you have not been aware, almost ALL of the Life Labs clinics well at least the good ones, in the GTA have a wait list of OVER 1 month for appointment, does not matter what its for but if u want to go there u NEED appointment, and if u noticed they're very busy can take one month at the minimum., if anyone asks including your doctor, tell him or her there was a long wait list for appointment, they can not get mad at you
Supermarket worker at Fortino's
I'm Not a Wise Guy but more of a Good Fella~!
Drive an Escalade
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8524 posts
2941 upvotes
0 downvotes
you can go to any other clinic that is fine there might be shorter wait list, but people prefer life labs because you can download your results, they still like that convenience even despite life labs had a data breach and peoples personal info was stolen from life labs online systems they still prefer to go there because of convenience over privacy
Drive an Escalade
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Getbread wrote: I went to the clinic on May 5th, after a basic checkup, the doctor requested that I get a blood test done.

I was extremely busy the past two months, and stil have not gotten the blood test done,
is it too late to still get it done?
Nope. As long as you have the docter's requisition form you're good to go... Dont have the form - just get another one from the doc. Blood req's are good for 6 mos from date of issue.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27803 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
aznnorth wrote: Nope. As long as you have the docter's requisition form you're good to go... Dont have the form - just get another one from the doc. Blood req's are good for 6 mos from date of issue.
This

We were delayed during a significant Covid Wave
Called our Family Doc
They told us the Requisitions they write for Lab Work are good for 6 months

And if we had exceeded that, they’d happily write us another
Sep 25, 2020
470 posts
320 upvotes
Dynacare lab is usually always open for blood test . Some places were closed during pandemic but I traveled a bit farther and still got it done. No appointment. I just do walk in all the time.

Never had to wait more than 30 mins and fastest was 5-10mins.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3926 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote: This

We were delayed during a significant Covid Wave
Called our Family Doc
They told us the Requisitions they write for Lab Work are good for 6 months

And if we had exceeded that, they’d happily write us another
Note the 6 months as per PointsHubby. Just call and ask your doctor for another requisition.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8524 posts
2941 upvotes
0 downvotes
you can give your requisition to the blood work place in person before the 6 months are up, and then book an appointment from there that way it gives you more time because chances are you wont get a appointment on the same visit, theyre extremely busy in case your wondering
Drive an Escalade
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
3167 posts
3653 upvotes
Toronto
Go to the LIFELABS site and book an appointment at a clinic close to your location, you can usually get an appointment within 10 to 14 days in my experience. I get tests done every 3 months, booking an appointment is the way to go.

If the clinic you chose seems to be booked up past what you require, select a different location and that should work.

I have also delayed by 2 months at times for my tests, not an issue it is good for 6 months.

Part of the LIFELABS (myresults) service is to provide the test results to you online if you would like a copy for your review. I have access through their portal going back multiple years.

Good luck.
“Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age.....and dreams are forever.”
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8524 posts
2941 upvotes
0 downvotes
Ballroomblitz1 wrote: Go to the LIFELABS site and book an appointment at a clinic close to your location, you can usually get an appointment within 10 to 14 days in my experience. I get tests done every 3 months, booking an appointment is the way to go.

If the clinic you chose seems to be booked up past what you require, select a different location and that should work.

I have also delayed by 2 months at times for my tests, not an issue it is good for 6 months.

Part of the LIFELABS (myresults) service is to provide the test results to you online if you would like a copy for your review. I have access through their portal going back multiple years.

Good luck.
Umm I just said all of that earlier, did u not see my post?
Drive an Escalade
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2965 posts
2632 upvotes
GTA West
GoodFellaz wrote: No its not too late. If you have not been aware, almost ALL of the Life Labs clinics well at least the good ones, in the GTA have a wait list of OVER 1 month for appointment, does not matter what its for but if u want to go there u NEED appointment, and if u noticed they're very busy can take one month at the minimum., if anyone asks including your doctor, tell him or her there was a long wait list for appointment, they can not get mad at you
Really? My usual Lifelab takes walk-ins and I find if I go around 11 I get in and out in very short order. I have never used a lab that only worked by appointment only. My wife usually goes at opening time and may take half and hour or so to get out.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8524 posts
2941 upvotes
0 downvotes
um buddy, not sure where in gta you live but if you go in first thing in morning there are people lined up in the hall ways of the office waiting for it to open but because they dont have appointment they are seen on a first come first serve which basically means if someone does not show up for their time slot, then you get dibs and chances are, most people show up so one time it took me 3-4 hours to get blood work, it was a zoo, they told me they recommend i make appointment next time, yeah i can see why
Drive an Escalade
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3537 posts
1279 upvotes
Ottawa
Dealmaker1945 wrote: Really? My usual Lifelab takes walk-ins and I find if I go around 11 I get in and out in very short order. I have never used a lab that only worked by appointment only. My wife usually goes at opening time and may take half and hour or so to get out.
Same here. I just had bloodwork done last week at the Riverside Hospital blood lab. Just walked in around 7:15 and was #14 in line so was in & out quickly. They just draw blood and send it away (maybe to LifeLabs?) I always do this, have never made an appointment.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
GoodFellaz wrote: um buddy, not sure where in gta you live but if you go in first thing in morning there are people lined up in the hall ways of the office waiting for it to open but because they dont have appointment they are seen on a first come first serve
FYI... The reason it's always busy in the mornings is becuz many blood tests and other tests (yes, testing centers do other non-blood tests as well) require the patient to be fasting for at least 4-8 hrs, some even longer. So most peeps fast when they are sleeping. Wake up and head to the blood centers asap. Do the test and they head for breakfast. 7-9 am is the busiest; after 11 am or so it dies down plenty. Afternoons 2-4 are not busy. Seniors tend to have more medical issues due to aging and bcuz vast majority are retired they're the first in line and bog up the morning queues.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21702 posts
17374 upvotes
Markham
Dealmaker1945 wrote: Really? My usual Lifelab takes walk-ins and I find if I go around 11 I get in and out in very short order. I have never used a lab that only worked by appointment only. My wife usually goes at opening time and may take half and hour or so to get out.
Not sure if this still works...
If you go online, choose a location and you can put your name down [for "walk-ins]....you can monitor where you are on the list and start driving looking to arrive 5 or 10 min before. This is good if you have some freedom on a given day. You could alternatively book an appointment as well.

If you don't do this [not sure why], your wait could be very long or not...."half an hour or so" is too long to wait for me.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
gr8dlr wrote:
If you go online, choose a location and you can put your name down [for "walk-ins]....you can monitor where you are on the list and start driving looking to arrive 5 or 10 min before. If you don't do this [not sure why], your wait could be very long or not...."half an hour or so" is too long to wait for me.
All labs do this now. Dynacare labs have an app that does the same shit. Basically it saves you the pre-registration queue aka the "line-up" as you're already entering general info (Ohip, blood test, name, etc), prior. But once you arrive on time and ur name is up on the screen you still have wait as there are only so many nurses and technicians available to do the prick. If the place is dead you're the first one in. If not, you may wait up to 30 min anyway. Like I said 7-9am is the worst. 2-4pm is dead.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21702 posts
17374 upvotes
Markham
aznnorth wrote: All labs do this now. Dynacare labs have an app that does the same shit. Basically it saves you the pre-registration queue aka the "line-up" as you're already entering general info (Ohip, blood test, name, etc), prior. But once you arrive on time and ur name is up on the screen you still have wait as there are only so many nurses and technicians available to do the prick. If the place is dead you're the first one in. If not, you may wait up to 30 min anyway. Like I said 7-9am is the worst. 2-4pm is dead.
I doubt ALL is true.

Maybe most of the big ones do this (I've only gone to life labs). Small labs like the one in doctors offices do not.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
gr8dlr wrote: I doubt ALL is true.

Maybe most of the big ones do this (I've only gone to life labs). Small labs like the one in doctors offices do not.
Life labs suck. They are small and slow, inefficient. Pre-app era certainly was. Slow taking the tests and slow getting results. Dynacare can get results within 2-3 business days on average. Life labs taking the exact same requisition can take 7-10 business days. YIKES! Why I switched to Dynacare (and they do work as I stated becuz Ive taken plenty of blood tests there via the app). But then again Dynacare is a much larger outfit, more efficient than Life labs. I've walked into Life labs with only 3 patients ahead for blood work and had to wait for nearly 1.5hrs. No joke. They weren't complex patients either. Simple blood samples. The staff worked at a snail's pace and didn't GAF. Yonge/Bloor location. Frustrating AF. Tried other LL locations, the same experience.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2017
5187 posts
6024 upvotes
aznnorth wrote: Life labs taking the exact same requisition can take 7-10 business days.
For what type of tests? When my dad did his bloodwork, got results by 5PM. Prior to covid though. I don’t have any experience for last 2 years
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4507 posts
2547 upvotes
Thornhill
aznnorth wrote: Life labs suck. They are small and slow, inefficient. Pre-app era certainly was. Slow taking the tests and slow getting results. Dynacare can get results within 2-3 business days on average. Life labs taking the exact same requisition can take 7-10 business days.
Not my experience. Lifelabs and Dynacare are about the same in terms of how long it takes to get results - usually within a day for most tests for both labs.

Both Lifelabs and Dynacare have real time waiting times available in their web site, so you can check (pick your location first) before deciding to go to line up - usually Mondays, Tuesdays and Saturdays are their busiest, and don't go the day after long weekend.

Lifelabs has optional appointment booking - most locations have resumed walk-in; Dynacare does not have appointment booking - but they have "virtual check in", so you can "line up" before you go.
Lifelabs has free online portal to check your results, Dynacare charges you a fee for access.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)