• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2019 9:02 am
[OP]
Penalty Box
Jul 21, 2019
346 posts
652 upvotes

Does Amazon honor price errors?

Anyone ever found a price error on Amazon and had them honor it? I had been watching an item that was sold out for a while and only third-party sellers had for several hundred dollars, suddenly today Amazon had it for only $37, which is obviously wrong, but I was able to order it, I went back immediately after to check and see if I could order again but it was removed and only had the third-party sellers again.
I am hoping they honor the item, I had some smaller items with it, so I guess at the very least I got free shipping from it.
13 replies
Aug 25, 2010
583 posts
148 upvotes
It varies. If it's sold by Amazon then probably, it may take some struggling with customer support. All bets are off if it's sold through a third-party. Just don't fall for the "we'll have it back in stock in 90 days" crap. Seller's will pull that garbage to get you out of the 90 day window where you can leave feedback for them.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2013
1331 posts
860 upvotes
CALGARY
They never honored price errors before, at least for me.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13001 upvotes
I'm not sure if it was an error or the algorithm just dropped the price until someone bought it, but I've stolen quite a few things from Amazon.
One of them being a $500 ice maker for a hair north of $100.
Jun 23, 2016
328 posts
498 upvotes
Sudbury, ON
Just last week they cancelled some price error orders of mine - clothes sold directly by Amazon. The error was egregious, though - like 6 cents for a shirt, etc. I imagine they might honor it if it was not so disproportionate. Hard to say.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
13765 posts
5377 upvotes
Toronto, ON
It's sometimes hard to tell whether it's a price error or their dynamic pricing algorithm at play. But if you are able to put in the order for the discounted price and the system ships it out, then you should be in the clear. If the item is not in stock and Amazon doesn't plan on restocking that item, then your order will likely sit there in the system until you cancel it or sometimes they will follow up with email updates saying it's still OOS. Then if they really can't get the item again, then they will cancel the order.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9263 posts
3592 upvotes
I have grabbed a few things at say 15% MSRP. It's the algorithm. It's like they want to unload the last one of something as soon as someone shows an interest in it.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7594 posts
5081 upvotes
Canada
If it's the dynamic pricing algorithm dropping price until someone buys it, then you'll get it 99% of the time.
Feb 4, 2011
586 posts
372 upvotes
Sure, when you honor your price error in kijijiSmiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4356 posts
4414 upvotes
Vancouver
Varies. If it's sold by Amazon, then you can probably get it if you argue enough.

Most recently during Amazon Prime Day sales they made a mistake affecting a bunch of items: Amazon were offering an Amazon credit for future purchases if you bought certain items sold and shipped by Amazon, amounting to a significant price discount. Other retailers dropped their prices to match Amazon's price including the credit, so Amazon changed their pricing to be a straight discount to match the other retailers. But they forgot to remove the credit on checkout, so anyone who bought those items got the discount and the credit for about 24 hours before they corrected it. Amazon honored the credit - initially. Most people used it right away. But I had some left after using most of it quickly, and I tried to use it a few weeks later, unsuccessfully. I contacted Amazon customer service, and they told me the credit only applied to purchases from the same company as the original item! They said that was the original terms of the offer. I called up my snapshot screen copy of the original offer and read it out to them - there was no such condition, the credit was for any item sold and shipped by Amazon, and I (and others) had successfully used it that way previously. They denied that they had changed the terms in the face of clear evidence to the contrary! Lying scumbags. I eventually got them to honor the original terms after escalation and a couple of follow ups. Greatly reduced my rating of Amazon customer service though. Screen-capture everything - don't trust them.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1401 posts
309 upvotes
ORLEANS
They honoured the price errors for the razer blade 15
[OP]
Penalty Box
Jul 21, 2019
346 posts
652 upvotes
They are honoring the price, it's actually being shipped from the states in Tennessee as they didn't even have in Canada so definitely was an error but at least they are sending it, especially since they are probably losing money.
Jan 18, 2017
249 posts
166 upvotes
got a 2tb crucial mx500 for 206.78 all in back in July..so I would say yes if you get in early enough