Personal Finance

Does any Bank/financial institution issue NON co-badged debit cards?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 25th, 2018 10:19 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Sep 2, 2014
118 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Does any Bank/financial institution issue NON co-badged debit cards?

Why I'm asking can be explained here: http://www.interac.ca/en/co-badged-cards.html

Specifically, "... Some financial institutions have chosen another payment network for online debit transactions, and consequently, their customers with a co-badged debit card will not have access to the Interac Online service. ..."

I'd like to be able to use the Interac Online service. I know that BMO and TD issue co-badged debit cards now. Is there anyone that still issues NON co-badged cards?
29 replies
[OP]
Sep 2, 2014
118 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I guess that's technically correct as it will work with the legacy cards.
[OP]
Sep 2, 2014
118 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Now that I look at this more closely, I don't think any of the credit unions are viable for me. So the question pretty much boils down to do RBC and Scotia issue NON co-badged debit cards. Airodyssey, you say RBC does so I'll check with them. Anyone know about Scotia?
Nov 3, 2008
238 posts
112 upvotes
National Capital Reg…
Last year I called TD and said I don't want VISA debit card they sent me. They said no problem, and mailed me a standard TD debit card. Try calling them.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5337 posts
3154 upvotes
airodyssey wrote:
Mar 24th, 2017 5:36 pm
Actually they do.
http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/products/de ... debit.html
But it's separate from their client card, and it's only valid for online, telephone or mail order purchases.
As you can see, they say "Virtual Visa Debit" and not "VISA Debit Card" because it is not a card.
[OP]
Sep 2, 2014
118 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto, ON
NCR-Manchester wrote:
Mar 24th, 2017 5:36 pm
Last year I called TD and said I don't want VISA debit card they sent me. They said no problem, and mailed me a standard TD debit card. Try calling them.
Here's what they said when I asked them (by email).
At this time, unfortunately, it is not possible to obtain a TD Access card without the Visa debit option.

Visa Debit and Visa utilize the Visa Network, while Interac Online utilizes the Interac Network. The Code of Conduct for the Credit and Debit Card Industry prevents a card from containing two online payment networks. Regrettably, this means that Interac Online is not available with your TD Access Card.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18619 posts
3246 upvotes
GTA West
MikeVTO wrote:
Mar 24th, 2017 3:56 pm
Now that I look at this more closely, I don't think any of the credit unions are viable for me. So the question pretty much boils down to do RBC and Scotia issue NON co-badged debit cards. Airodyssey, you say RBC does so I'll check with them. Anyone know about Scotia?
I used Interac Online with RBC within the last 2 months.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
[OP]
Sep 2, 2014
118 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Success!! I was able to get one from BMO. I went to a branch but they couldn't help me, they only had the co-badged cards but told me to try calling customer service. I called their customer service and after clearly explaining what I wanted, they were able to have one issued and mailed out to me. Arrived today so I'm good now.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
6024 posts
432 upvotes
MikeVTO wrote:
Mar 25th, 2017 12:10 pm
Here's what they said when I asked them (by email).

At this time, unfortunately, it is not possible to obtain a TD Access card without the Visa debit option.

Visa Debit and Visa utilize the Visa Network, while Interac Online utilizes the Interac Network. The Code of Conduct for the Credit and Debit Card Industry prevents a card from containing two online payment networks. Regrettably, this means that Interac Online is not available with your TD Access Card.
I find that if you go into a branch and tell them you want a plain-jane debit access card, they'll give you one.

I got one a couple years back. They tried to give me a visa debit card. I told them it was ugly, that I didn't want it, and that I would never use the visa debit option. I told them I wanted the old style card. They went to the back for a few minutes and came back with the old-style plain one that's interac only. I've been using that card ever since.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
2963 posts
188 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Octavius wrote:
Apr 9th, 2017 2:46 pm
I find that if you go into a branch and tell them you want a plain-jane debit access card, they'll give you one.

I got one a couple years back. They tried to give me a visa debit card. I told them it was ugly, that I didn't want it, and that I would never use the visa debit option. I told them I wanted the old style card. They went to the back for a few minutes and came back with the old-style plain one that's interac only. I've been using that card ever since.
Tbh I agree with you, when I used to bank with them, just the sight of that flippin green chair on the card every time I pulled it out pissed me off lol
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
1568 posts
707 upvotes
Kanada
don't use Interac Online, pay using a credit card
Part of the art of working in customer service, at any company, is the ability to invent plausible explanations for unexpected outcomes. An algorithm makes the decision. The agent does not necessarily know why.