Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13547 posts
2345 upvotes
City of Vancouver

Does any1 use Mrs Dash?

Does any1 use Mrs Dash? Seems expensive. Is there an alternative so that I can avoid sodium? Can I just sprinkle paprika onto hard boiled eggs?
20 replies
May 21, 2015
919 posts
447 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
We use Mrs Dash quite a lot now to cut down on sodium. There are a few flavors, my preference is the garlic one. As well there are some President Choice or Blue Label ones available at Loblaws, Superstore etc. and yes you can just sprinkle paprika on.. but come on.. Mrs. Dash isn't all that expensive considering. It lasts a fair while. Sometimes you have to forgo being too miserly when it comes to your health..
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13547 posts
2345 upvotes
City of Vancouver
It's a small container with lots of air in between the contents. Compare that with a jar of salsa for the same price!
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
Adversity is a growth opportunity. Change happens at the periphery.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2006
7464 posts
1929 upvotes
GTA
I have Mrs. Dash I bought at Costco, has zero sodium in it with a big logo saying "No Sodium". Neutral Face

EDIT: Talking about seasoning mix.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
I was going to say just buy MSG from an Asian grocery store, but apparently I'm thinking of a different thing as Mrs Dash doesn't have MSG. It's just a blend of spices.

That said, I wouldn't use it because I have my own spices. I'm not a fan of spice blends.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9555 posts
3849 upvotes
I don't buy a lot of spice blends but I do buy Mrs. Dash Table Blend which is ground fine like pepper (the other versions are chunkier)

Retail price should be around $4 which i cheap given that there is no salt in it. Not cheaper to make your own because there are too many spices/herbs in it.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2011
3705 posts
9700 upvotes
>er YEG pi-r-sq'd
The Original Blend is $3.76 for 70 g at WM ($5.37 / 100 g).

If you're ok with the Original Blend or the Garlic & Herb Blend, RCSS has the larger 192 g bottles for $6.79 ($3.54 / 100 g).
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5822 posts
1147 upvotes
Toronto
Going to add it to my shopping g list, forgot about it. It seems I'm using more blended spices these days as my pure spices run out.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
6350 posts
1521 upvotes
Richmond Hill
trystee wrote: The Original Blend is $3.76 for 70 g at WM ($5.37 / 100 g).

If you're ok with the Original Blend or the Garlic & Herb Blend, RCSS has the larger 192 g bottles for $6.79 ($3.54 / 100 g).
which blend is the most versatile?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13547 posts
2345 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Ok, I had to buy 2 at Safeway in order to get it for $3.69 each. I then used checkout51's offer of $.75 off each. Got the Chipotle and the extra spicy, which doesn't taste extra spicy. These spices are still a ripoff! I wonder what the Table Blend tastes like 'cuz these two varieties are chunky, like lecale said. To be honest, I just want Tabasco to release some coupons so that I can use that stuff to make my food taste more interesting.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
Adversity is a growth opportunity. Change happens at the periphery.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9555 posts
3849 upvotes
Sorry about your chunky spices Becks.

Table Blend tastes like onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, black pepper, celery seed, citrus, herbs. There is a lot more to it but it's basically seasoning salt without as much paprika and with herbs to make up for that (and of course no salt). There are some citrus-flavoured elements (orange peel, coriander, lemon juice solids, citric acid powder, lemon oil), some heat (pepper, chili, mustard, cayenne), a bunch of veg (carrot, tomato, bell pepper), cumin, and herbs (parsley, basil, bay, marjoram, oregano, thyme, savory and rosemary).

If you want a general purpose season salt for eggs and everything, try (in order of quantity) paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, a herb like thyme or celery, chili if desired. That's your seasoning salt backbone. (Other than that I am personally big on allspice, which is why I like Old Bay, which is finely ground, great with eggs, but with salt...Heavy on the celery seed and heat with a hint of warm spice (cinnamon/allspice/cloves)).

Another fine blend no salt is Club House BBQ Chicken No Salt; it is heavier on the paprika. Not hot or herby. Also lots of onion/garlic powder. Contains sugar.

Tabasco released great $2 coupons last year - I got the stuff for under $1 when sales were on. $1 coupons show up regularly in Black Diamond products.
May 28, 2012
11277 posts
3491 upvotes
Saskatoon
You can try making your own: www.topsecretrecipes.com/Mrs-Dash-Salt- ... cat-Recipe*

If you have access to Trader Joe's in the States, there is a spice blend called 21 Seasoning Salute which is salt free and was only $1.99 US when I bought it a couple years ago. It was very good. I only buy Mrs Dash in the econo jar and when there's a coupon, it's not good value otherwise.

*The link isn't working properly, just do a google search for copycat Mrs Dash recipe and it will show up.
May 21, 2015
919 posts
447 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
if the stuff you bought is too chunky for your liking, that's what a blender is for.. pour it in there and grind it a bit finer.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2008
1184 posts
125 upvotes
Markham
I use Flavor God but I think it might be a bit pricier than Mrs. Dash.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2011
3705 posts
9700 upvotes
>er YEG pi-r-sq'd
yesstyle wrote: which blend is the most versatile?
Sorry, not sure.

I bought some a long time ago and was researching prices based on this week's CO51 cash backs on Mrs Dash that @Becks mentioned above.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
Stupid anti copy/paste...
Anyway... here it is copy/pasted.

1/4 cup crushed dried minced onion flakes (see Tidbits)
4 teaspoons crushed dried vegetable flakes (Schilling)
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon dried orange peel
2 teaspoons coarse ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried savory
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon dried mustard
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
1/4 teaspoon Kool-Aid unsweetened lemonade drink mix
Pinch crushed dried rosemary

Damn that's a lot of stuff.
Also LOL at the lemonade drink mix.
I'm not even mad at that. That's actually a good idea.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9555 posts
3849 upvotes
The only part I don't agree with is the "crushed dried vegetable flakes", I would use paprika because you're replacing carrot, tomato, bell pepper (which is really paprika anyway), and veg flakes are usually leek, carrot, onion, pea, cabbage that kind of thing.

Also when you grind veg flakes (or the chunkier Mrs. Dash) for that matter, you get a lot of dust. When you buy commercially ground spices they are sieved into different particle sizes (e.g., Club House garlic powder (just bigger than dust), granulated garlic powder (pepper-sized granules), and minced garlic (large pieces). The true dust is sold for applications like potato chip seasoning. Anyway, when you grind your own you are dealing with everything from chip dust to larger pieces so it is not as nice as sorted store-bought.

I like the Kool-Aid idea. I have plain citric acid powder to fix up spice blends or make tartar sauce without making it runny from lemon juice. Kool-Aid would be lemonier. Tell me the yellow bits in lemon pepper aren't really Kool-Aid granules anyway!

It leaves out the bay that is a listed on my bottle of Table Blend.