Shopping Discussion

Does anyone have any pointers or advice when it comes to buying diamond jewelry?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 29th, 2020 2:18 pm
[OP]
Aug 16, 2015
870 posts
327 upvotes

Does anyone have any pointers or advice when it comes to buying diamond jewelry?

So far I've been looking at the site 100ways. Dunno if it's legit tho. Some of the rings say they are worth 2 thousand but the price is crossed out and the new price is 500. If the ring was actually worth 2g I doubt they would sell it for only 500.

I know it can get complicated with cut carat weight clarity etc. I'm no expert.

If anyone has any advice pointers or recommendation I'd like to hear it.
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6814 posts
3104 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
The first thing to know is there things have stupidly-high margins, for everyone.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
[OP]
Aug 16, 2015
870 posts
327 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: The first thing to know is there things have stupidly-high margins, for everyone.
Ok thanks. Any opinion on the site 100ways. Or a recommendation of where to shop?
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13706 posts
2430 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Buy second hand.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Banned
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
2984 upvotes
keenland
Becks wrote: Buy second hand.
+1 this...
diamonds are like cars ..they depreciate once bought from new..find something you like...then pay half for something similar used
[OP]
Aug 16, 2015
870 posts
327 upvotes
ok. where do you buy second hand from? craigslist?

should i be worried someone might try to sell me fake diamonds?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8736 posts
2649 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm not an expert of jewellry.... Google maps shows this as their store. Looks like they sell new and vintage jewellry. Also check the Google reviews. This would be something to shop in person, not thru online. Especially for such an expensive purchase
Images
  • Screenshot_20201229-114219.png
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
7315 posts
2239 upvotes
T dot 6
Becks wrote: Buy second hand.
Buying a second hand lab made diamond is the RFD way (well aside from never getting married as you can potentially lose half).
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13706 posts
2430 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Buy one of those magnifying lenses that jewelers use. I took the lens off a microscope at home, so I dunno the magnification. It is useful for seeing inclusions, scratches, cracks, hallmarks, etc.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6814 posts
3104 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
When you get a diamond assessed, the assessed value is put as 2x real value (or is it real sale value 1/2 that of assessed?) Insurance game. Not sure how much home insurance will pay out from which amount.

If you feel obligated to buy a large, expensive, overpriced rock. Blame de Beers. They (or their ad agenecies) came up with the whole diamond ring scam sometime after WW-II, and the 2 month salary yard stick.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China