Shopping Discussion

Does anyone here actually try to stay away from malls this time of year?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 30th, 2009 7:13 pm

Poll: Do you try and stay away from malls this time of the year?

• Total votes: 108. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

63%
No

37%
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2008
2005 posts
103 upvotes
GTA

Does anyone here actually try to stay away from malls this time of year?

I don't know about anyone else but I can't stand crowds at malls and big box stores like Wal-Mart and Costco. I actually try to stay away from them as much as possible this time of the year instead of going to them. I know some people that take a day off of work and do their Christmas shopping on a Tuesday or Wednesday just to avoid the crowds.
33 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
7626 posts
161 upvotes
Montreal
i only try to stay away from them on weekends. i prefer hitting the shops during the week and mostly, in the morning
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
2536 posts
769 upvotes
Woodbridge
I try to avoid going on weekends, but weekday mornings and sometimes afternoons are pretty good. I usually go sometimes before or after class to places like Best Buy, Walmart, Vaughan Mills, etc.

I also can't stand crowded malls and stores.
Oct 2, 2008
518 posts
104 upvotes
Ancaster
Going into Costco anytime pisses me off, there is way too many people all the time, but Walmart not so much though.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2001
5573 posts
907 upvotes
Toronto
If I have a choice, I'll buy it online and just have it shipped to me. If there's certain stores or certain gifts you can't buy online then Saturday mornings are pretty good, go right when the mall opens to avoid the crowds as much as possible.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10771 posts
2849 upvotes
Nowhere
I hate crowds especially when trying to shop. All year long, I plan shopping trips at off peak times and am always looking for better times to shop. I have different times that I shop at different stores to avoid the crowds. I have even figured out when to shop at my local Costco so I don't have to have to face lineups at the cash. I rarely go to the mall on weekends and definitely don't do it at Christmas time. Unfortunately, I belong to a gym that is at a large mall so I don't go at all at Christmas. Why do they put gyms at malls???

What I would like to know is that every year we hear people complaining about Christmas, that not everyone celebrates it, that it shouldn't be a holiday, we can't say Christmas anymore etc etc, so why are the malls more and more crowded every year??? If so many people don't celebrate Christmas, there shouldn't be so many people there. I heck I wouldn't go if I didn't have to.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
2536 posts
769 upvotes
Woodbridge
Cheap Cat wrote: What I would like to know is that every year we hear people complaining about Christmas, that not everyone celebrates it, that it shouldn't be a holiday, we can't say Christmas anymore etc etc, so why are the malls more and more crowded every year??? If so many people don't celebrate Christmas, there shouldn't be so many people there. I heck I wouldn't go if I didn't have to.
I feel Christmas is too commercialized, and has been like this for years. People think it's all about shopping and getting gifts, but some don't know the true meaning.
Banned
Jan 21, 2007
369 posts
22 upvotes
Metro Vancouver, BC
Phila213 wrote: Going into Costco anytime pisses me off, there is way too many people all the time, but Walmart not so much though.
In my area, I find that going to Costco just before closing during the weekday is pretty good, not too many people. All other times Costco is a zoo.
Sep 8, 2004
82 posts
6 upvotes
London, ON
I somehow doubt that the Christmas gets more commercialized or that there are more people mindlessly roaming the malls every year thinking "buy buy buy" instead of "I wonder if Jesus really likes fruitcake for his birthday?". I think it's just that as you get older you hear the same refrain and it sinks in further. Complaining about Christmas is an annual tradition for a lot of people.

It's not shoppers that are bad this time of year it's gawkers and strollers that cause the most trouble. It's certainly entertaining to people watch at the mall but there is no reason to meander with your pals three abreast while sipping coffee during the busiest time of the year. I'm also sympathetic to the time crunch this time of year but kids don't want to shop for Aunt Doris. If you take them out during naptime or after bedtime, no matter how comfortable your ginormous stroller is, they're going to melt down and I'm going to quietly hate you for it.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2006
1418 posts
1797 upvotes
Nowadays, I'm not too fond of Malls in general.. However, if I had to go then I would usually drop by in the morning to get whatever that's needed to be done and over with - regardless if it's x-mas season or not. I'm not too keen with massive crowds. As much as it's 'tis the season" with happy, jolly folks here and there, but there's also the unpleasant side: the pushing and shoving, rudeness and snappiness is what i can't deal with. Then again, I am getting older, so i like to get in and get out. Now if you asked me this question about 10 years ago, I would've given you the opposite answer: hrs shopping in 1 mall, aka: Yorkdale- approx, 6hrs to 8 hrs PER Saturday.

Other then that, I tend to start my x-mas shopping early to avoid any last minutes and grouchy characters; say around July-ish :) .
"Women are like teabags; you don't know how strong they are until you put them in hot water." :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
2133 posts
111 upvotes
Regina
I find the best time to go is during popular sporting events. If I really care to see it I'll PVR it and watch it afterwards with no annoying commercials. Meanwhile the stores are nice and quiet for my shopping.

I've also found since spending time on here I no longer have a need to go to the store. Malls have little to offer me. If they have a sale worth checking out it will be posted on the forum. If it's posted on here I will go to a location or a competitor that's not in the mall and work towards a PM. Also not playing Christmas music is a selling point to me. It's all over the place and by the end of the holidays I can't take it anymore.

The only place I will fight the rush for is Costco. I need food and unfortunately I'm picky about what I eat. Once a week I make a trip on a Sunday morning when the church goers are out praying. I go to Costco and harvest everything I need. Then I stop at Sobeys for any produce Costco doesn't sell in single person proportions.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9706 posts
764 upvotes
Markham
antichrysler wrote: I find the best time to go is during popular sporting events.
I think that doesn't apply for sporting events featuring teams from Toronto, just not worth watching. :lol: (though you're from SK)

I try to plan out and reduce my shopping trips if possible, but sometimes you just have to go out to buy stuff like food.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
2133 posts
111 upvotes
Regina
Hairball wrote: I think that doesn't apply for sporting events featuring teams from Toronto, just not worth watching. :lol: (though you're from SK)

I try to plan out and reduce my shopping trips if possible, but sometimes you just have to go out to buy stuff like food.
lol you guys have the make-beliefs... the raptors... the jays... and whatever other cfl/nhl teams you have...
we only have 1... the riders... and they suck... except for this year and 2007 and 1989
Aug 30, 2008
909 posts
184 upvotes
ON
if I try, then I'm quite unsuccessful lol. what I really hate is the stuffiness and how the mall is always so bloody hot !! (possibly from all the people? I dunno.) then I end up having to shell out money to buy a drink or ice-cream... -_-;;; I don't particularly mind the crowds though...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7575 posts
394 upvotes
Canada
From now until January, the best deals of hte year are taking place, so I try to hit up the mall. I hate parking, but if need be I have my secret spots at different malls ;)
He died for me, I live for him
Dec 19, 2007
360 posts
6 upvotes
Phila213 wrote: Going into Costco anytime pisses me off, there is way too many people all the time, but Walmart not so much though.

Way too many minivan moms in costco to be able to maintain any level of civility.
Apr 29, 2009
265 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto
The keyword is "try" and I DOOOOOO try....it just doesn't always work. But then I tell myself Boxing Day is supposed to be when I blow all my money so that sometimes helps =P
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2003
15877 posts
768 upvotes
Stouffville
shannn wrote: From now until January, the best deals of hte year are taking place, so I try to hit up the mall. I hate parking, but if need be I have my secret spots at different malls ;)
illegally parking in a handicapped spot isint a secret!!! lol j/k...

i know what u mean heh..

as for me.. i avoid malls... seriously the only time i use to go to malls a lot was when i was in highschool and we would walk (or later years drive) to markville mall everyday for lunch... was great... 10 min walk max... 75 min lunch... so we had like 45 min usually to chill in the mall, go to EB and look at games or do whatever...cause ruckus!!!

too bad the markville mall arcade closed down right when i started grade 9 in 1998 or that woulda been sweet lol... they still had like wwf wrestlefest and that old school simpsons arcade game... marge with the vacuum owned lol..

for xmas shopping, i really only buy stuff for my immediate family..so im basically already done, thx for rfd... my bro and his wife i got them that personal chef deal the other day, my mom i got her some old navy stuff when i went to get lego rockband this morning and some dvds from the walmart anniversary sale 2 months ago...father i got some stuff from the reebok f and f sale...grandparents my mom takes care of it and i just put money in... so i only need to get for my sister now lol... and that will just be her telling me what she wants and i go buy on like dec 23rd lol
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2008
2225 posts
1212 upvotes
I find so many good deals online that I hardly ever have to go to a mall. :)
I am not young enough to know everything - Oscar Wilde
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13157 posts
4268 upvotes
GTA
I was at Costco Tuesday night btw 7 & 8 and it was quite empty. No lineup at all to pay. I even had a customer service question and walked straight up and asked the one of three people doing nothing behind the counter.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)