Health & Wellness

Does anyone here or family member suffer from Mental Illness ?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 11th, 2016 10:14 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Banned
May 30, 2016
116 posts
16 upvotes

Does anyone here or family member suffer from Mental Illness ?

Would you be embarassed about your mental illness and try to hide it due to the stigma attached.

Or will you be open about it ? Will you visit a shrink or no ?
10 replies
May 5, 2009
616 posts
320 upvotes
Vancouver
Don't be embarrassed by it, nobody wants to have any and shouldn't be ashamed of having any. Family and friends should be supportive, if not, cut them out of your life. Who needs to be around ignorant and prejudiced people.

Wouldn't hesitate to visit a therapist if I needed one, it's sometimes as simple as having someone to open up tobut sometimes more. It's all good if it helps.
Oct 26, 2015
563 posts
110 upvotes
Toronto,ON
Are you talking about depression ,anxiety disorders, schizophrenia, eating disorders or something else?
I try to buy smart but end up Penny wise Pound Foolish :(
Oct 5, 2014
865 posts
1138 upvotes
AB
there is nothing to be embarrassed about mental illness.. and if one can afford it, one should seek professional help..

and there are some people who doesn't have any mental illness and they are the recipients of Darwin award..
Temp. Banned
Dec 2, 2007
899 posts
107 upvotes
Toronto
Yes. Some members of my extended family have depression. My mother has dementia and depression. It is tough to persuade her to see a shrink
Jul 4, 2015
793 posts
195 upvotes
Stouffville
There are many different kinds of mental illness, and most times people don't even know they have a problem (first one that comes to mind is postpartum disorders in new mothers).
[OP]
Banned
May 30, 2016
116 posts
16 upvotes
picard12 wrote: Yes. Some members of my extended family have depression. My mother has dementia and depression. It is tough to persuade her to see a shrink
Dementia is not a mental illness. But Depression is.
[OP]
Banned
May 30, 2016
116 posts
16 upvotes
TagYoureIt wrote: There are many different kinds of mental illness, and most times people don't even know they have a problem (first one that comes to mind is postpartum disorders in new mothers).
Anxiety & Depression are huge in NA.

Bi-Polar is another one.
Temp. Banned
Apr 6, 2016
277 posts
9 upvotes
If a person has one of these stigmas I bet a billion dollars and a new life style would cure it all.

So should we really be calling it a mental illness. , or an environment illness.

Canada is a unhealthy place for a human living in these squalid conditions.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13530 posts
2336 upvotes
City of Vancouver
voncleav wrote: If a person has one of these stigmas I bet a billion dollars and a new life style would cure it all.

So should we really be calling it a mental illness. , or an environment illness.

Canada is a unhealthy place for a human living in these squalid conditions.
Ok, well u should watch that Leo di Caprio movie on Howard Hughes and then get back to us about your post.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13530 posts
2336 upvotes
City of Vancouver
ashwanidesi wrote: Would you be embarassed about your mental illness and try to hide it due to the stigma attached.

Or will you be open about it ? Will you visit a shrink or no ?
Last time I checked, I wasn't living in a utopia. It has been my impression that people like individuals who are successful, charismatic, good-looking, etc. If you tell the world your imperfections, you run the risk of suffering socially negative consequences from it. Are u ready to handle that?