• Aug 15th, 2021 9:25 am
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 15, 2009
133 posts
18 upvotes
Saskatoon

Does anyone know about heaving floor?

I am going to buy a house built in 2008, it's a two-story house with walk-out basement. The inspection report shows the house floors are heaving: There is a crown in the basement floor, appears to have heaved. Flooring system is high in the middle, appears basement floor has heaved and has lifted the floors above.Second floor is high in the middle as well.

I am wondering how does these issues affect our living? do I need to fix them? who do I look for and how much would it be?

Thank you in advance.
15 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2011
1168 posts
569 upvotes
GTA
Sounds like a home you should avoid. If it’s doing the same thing over 3 stories, might be structural. I have heard of them sinking, not so much heaving.
[OP]
Nov 15, 2009
133 posts
18 upvotes
Saskatoon
lamin wrote: Sounds like a home you should avoid. If it’s doing the same thing over 3 stories, might be structural. I have heard of them sinking, not so much heaving.
Thank you. I talked to the agent, she said it's been there for a long time, it won't affect anything, but I insisted on looking for an engineer to check it out, there should be a way to fix it, isn't it? it's a 800k house, if nobody buys it, then what to do with it?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
9959 posts
4242 upvotes
Vaughan
amybear wrote: Thank you. I talked to the agent, she said it's been there for a long time, it won't affect anything, but I insisted on looking for an engineer to check it out, there should be a way to fix it, isn't it? it's a 800k house, if nobody buys it, then what to do with it?
Sure, agent’s word to get the sale. There is reason it’s still there. Walk away!
Last edited by teoconca on Aug 15th, 2021 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 6, 2020
937 posts
1041 upvotes
amybear wrote: an engineer to check it out, there should be a way to fix it, isn't it?
Your engineer should be able to give you a ballpark figure on how much a proper repair will cost.

Almost anything can be fixed, but the costs may be too high for some things to be worth fixing.

Foundation problems are expensive to fix in existing structures. It may be more cost effective to tear the house down and build another one.
Aug 29, 2019
995 posts
453 upvotes
amybear wrote: I am going to buy a house built in 2008, it's a two-story house with walk-out basement. The inspection report shows the house floors are heaving: There is a crown in the basement floor, appears to have heaved. Flooring system is high in the middle, appears basement floor has heaved and has lifted the floors above.Second floor is high in the middle as well.

I am wondering how does these issues affect our living? do I need to fix them? who do I look for and how much would it be?

Thank you in advance.
What is meant by heaving? Do you mean the joists have sagged leaving the floor over the load walls higher than the parts being held by the saggy joists? That does happen in older homes.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
4937 posts
1829 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
amybear wrote: I am going to buy a house built in 2008, it's a two-story house with walk-out basement. The inspection report shows the house floors are heaving: There is a crown in the basement floor, appears to have heaved. Flooring system is high in the middle, appears basement floor has heaved and has lifted the floors above.Second floor is high in the middle as well.

Thank you in advance.
Could it be the opposite? The outer walls have settled and the middle is near original height? It seems odd to have the middle of the basement floor to heave. Frost can heave things but I wouldn't expect that under the middle of the basement floor.
Deal Addict
May 21, 2015
1201 posts
805 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
Why are you so stuck on this problem house?
Mar 17, 2004
494 posts
56 upvotes
Stay far away from this house unless its dirt cheap and you plan on a full gut and reno. My guess would be that here is a foundation or load bearing wall running down the center of the home with the floor joints running perpendicular to this wall. Its possible that one side of the foundation has settled or shifted causing that half of the joints to shift resulting in a teetertotter type scenario. If you're serious about purchasing this house, definitely consult a reputable structural engineer that has experience in residential home construction.
[OP]
Nov 15, 2009
133 posts
18 upvotes
Saskatoon
Beneful1 wrote: Why are you so stuck on this problem house?
Because it is the most beautiful house in a perfect location for me
[OP]
Nov 15, 2009
133 posts
18 upvotes
Saskatoon
fergy wrote: Could it be the opposite? The outer walls have settled and the middle is near original height? It seems odd to have the middle of the basement floor to heave. Frost can heave things but I wouldn't expect that under the middle of the basement floor.
the inspector told me it might be because of the clay under the foundation expand because of the moisture, I am seeking for an engineer to check it out, but they will be work on Monday, I am just curious whether anyone had the same problem here.
[OP]
Nov 15, 2009
133 posts
18 upvotes
Saskatoon
dealhunting wrote: Stay far away from this house unless its dirt cheap and you plan on a full gut and reno. My guess would be that here is a foundation or load bearing wall running down the center of the home with the floor joints running perpendicular to this wall. Its possible that one side of the foundation has settled or shifted causing that half of the joints to shift resulting in a teetertotter type scenario. If you're serious about purchasing this house, definitely consult a reputable structural engineer that has experience in residential home construction.
Yes, I will, but have to wait until Monday. hope someone could refer a good engineer around saskatoon area.
Mar 1, 2016
335 posts
268 upvotes
amybear wrote: Thank you. I talked to the agent, she said it's been there for a long time, it won't affect anything, but I insisted on looking for an engineer to check it out, there should be a way to fix it, isn't it? it's a 800k house, if nobody buys it, then what to do with it?
The house was built in 2008 not 1908. A 13 yr old house shouldn’t have heaving floors. There is something wrong with the house structurally.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
7353 posts
3066 upvotes
I would guess there is something significantly wrong with this house. I think the house of your dreams could very well become a house of nightmares.

Bon chance.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
[OP]
Nov 15, 2009
133 posts
18 upvotes
Saskatoon
fergy wrote: Could it be the opposite? The outer walls have settled and the middle is near original height? It seems odd to have the middle of the basement floor to heave. Frost can heave things but I wouldn't expect that under the middle of the basement floor.
actually, your guessing sounds reasonable, because the balcony has a slop which shows the fence side is higher than the wall side. but the inspector guessing is clay under the foundation pop up
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37769 posts
23850 upvotes
Center of Universe
The fact that it hasn't been snatched up yet in this market by a higher bidder, says a lot... walk away!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)