Home & Garden

does anyone know about plumbing stuff like shower faucets here?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 20th, 2019 4:22 pm
[OP]
Nov 25, 2004
190 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto, ON

does anyone know about plumbing stuff like shower faucets here?

Hey guys just wanna hit up here first before going to an actual plumbing site since i'm here usually. but would anyone have any idea what brand is this plumbing faucet? it's leaking and i would like the change out the cartridge. The brand names like Moen are easy to get and you can just easily replace it in 5 minutes but i've never seen this before and would like to know the name or if anyone had instructions on pulling it apart that way i can probably just change the rubber seals instead if i can't find the cartridges.

this is what is looks like and thanks for any help that can lead me further down the plumbing hole.
Images
  • 20190731_213124.jpg
  • 20190731_213147.jpg
  • 20190731_221101.jpg
  • 20190731_221116.jpg
  • 20190731_221148.jpg
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7064 posts
1396 upvotes
Scarborough
if its very old (like 20 yrs etc) then best to change the whole valve.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8712 posts
5095 upvotes
ON
apnayloags wrote: if its very old (like 20 yrs etc) then best to change the whole valve.
Why ? If he can find the cartridge and exchange that, there's no need to add more aggravation to a leaky faucet by having to re-tile the bathroom and good luck finding the tiles to replace if you didn't keep any extras . A 5 minute DIY job could turn into a thousand dollar, week long job that he needs to find someone to do as well.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6420 posts
2085 upvotes
BC
..... plus if OP can find a newer cartridge that fits that particular valve it could be a performance upgrade in terms of hot/cold pressure balancing at least.

Looks like the cartridge has the usual clip in a groove at the top that has to be pried off first.

To get a 20+ year old cartridge out easily you may need a tool that rotates the cartridge a bit to break the rust/hardened rubber bond (as in the youtube link, I see).
That might be a problem if the tool is brand specific.
You could pull it out forcefully at the risk of leaving bits of torn rubber in the valve that could become an issue.

My guess is that it is one of those brands like Danze as opposed to the major players.
So unlikely a plumbing supply house would be familiar with it or replacement cartridges that fit.
I would take a look in a place like Habitat for Humanity Restore to identify the brand.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2956 upvotes
Remember the rules:

1) Turn off water first before touching or adjusting anything
2) refer to Step 1.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
8891 posts
5934 upvotes
Kootenays
Moen 1225 is available at any hardware store and if you bring your old one in, they'll give you a replacement for free. My local place will give me a new one if I promise to drop the old one off.
[OP]
Nov 25, 2004
190 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto, ON
OMG thank you so much guys! this is right and now i can order that cartridge, wasn't really interested in fixing the entire unit with a hot water pressure balance and having to re tile it. But the neat thing is that i actually pressure balance it with a thermostatic valve right from the exit of the hot water heater so it's basically impossible to scald yourself.

last time i took pics to a home depot no one knew what it was. probably the plumber expert wasn't in that day which is why i turn to the community here.

thanks again everyone! helped me a ton here!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8712 posts
5095 upvotes
ON
Azreal911 wrote: OMG thank you so much guys! this is right and now i can order that cartridge, wasn't really interested in fixing the entire unit with a hot water pressure balance and having to re tile it. But the neat thing is that i actually pressure balance it with a thermostatic valve right from the exit of the hot water heater so it's basically impossible to scald yourself.

last time i took pics to a home depot no one knew what it was. probably the plumber expert wasn't in that day which is why i turn to the community here.

thanks again everyone! helped me a ton here!
Yeah I was here posting on RFD...lol.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2956 upvotes
is it normal to put a soldering bead on like Delta turn ring (between the ring and the metal holder) holding the cartridge in place? I saw that my builder did that with mine.