Computers & Electronics

Does anyone know how to fix double clicks on mouse?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 6th, 2021 3:36 pm
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
18703 posts
5733 upvotes

Does anyone know how to fix double clicks on mouse?

Can it be fixed or that's EOL?

super annoying..
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2020
8453 posts
6938 upvotes
the switch cannot be fixed, but you could remove it and put on an identical switch from an identical mouse. if you're in bind you could swap your middle button switch to the one that is malfunctioning since most people dont use the middle button much.

You can also buy replacement switches from aliexpress once you figure out the model

I suggest you buy a mouse with optical switches so that it can never happen again. Razer has optical switches on some of their models.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
4578 posts
1999 upvotes
AB
Need to replace the switch. It's a mechanical wear issue, so only real way to fix, is to replace the broken part.
I did it recently to a G602 mouse. It was my first time, but it only took about 30 minutes. Replaced with these Kailh switches: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002518694101.html
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2004
5450 posts
2433 upvotes
Replacing the switch would be the best. But you can also try bending back the spring in the switch as shown by this : https://www.instructables.com/Repair-mo ... k-problem/

I've done it twice to my G602 and it usually works for a year or two before it goes back to double clicking again. Be warned, its difficult to place the copper spring switch at the right position to get the perfect " click " .
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
5252 posts
1905 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Ah. The infamous Logitech mouse eh? Wasn't worth my time so had to swap to a Razer. Annoying AF cuz it was less than a year old.
"Buy now, think later. This is the way."
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
9652 posts
10924 upvotes
Vancouver
Logitech sent me a new wireless mouse at no cost to replace one 4.5 years old that wasn't recognizing clicks reliably any more. Didn't have to send the old one back either.
Mar 2, 2017
307 posts
338 upvotes
Depending on the type of switches and what the exact problem is, you can most definitely clean them. Logitech seems to be pretty notorious for the copper contacts corroding slightly. Take them apart, clean them off and reassemble. It's a bit of a touchy process getting them back together again, but skill comes with practice.

In a quick 30 second search on Youtube, I found this video. Shows the general idea.
Apr 8, 2021
822 posts
1075 upvotes
Poutine
There’s a windows program out there that prevents quick double clicks.
I know it exists!
‏‏‎ ‎
‏‏‎ ‎
‏‏‎ ‎
‏‏‎ ‎

Happy RFD member since 2001.
Happy Public Mobile Customer since 2017
Happy VoIP.ms Customer since 2011

+14
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
7363 posts
8652 upvotes
GTA
coilz wrote: Replacing the switch would be the best. But you can also try bending back the spring in the switch as shown by this : https://www.instructables.com/Repair-mo ... k-problem/

I've done it twice to my G602 and it usually works for a year or two before it goes back to double clicking again. Be warned, its difficult to place the copper spring switch at the right position to get the perfect " click " .
Did the same on a very old Razer Death Adder and it worked. Damned right it's difficult to place the spring back, that's an understatement!
Razers are apparently also notorious for the same issue, not just Logitechs.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
12603 posts
3028 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Replace the switch. I have a 10-year-old Alienware TactX that I've swapped the buttons on numerous times over the years. My left click is probably on its third or fourth button at this point.
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15215 posts
4405 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
In my case, I cleaned out the dust build-up (utility knife + compressed air) under the button and all was happy again :) .
Deal Guru
Jul 15, 2008
10544 posts
4141 upvotes
Toronto
Solder new switch - best way to fix and upgrade.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2006
5264 posts
2270 upvotes
Vancouver
And with an optical mouse you will have to blow out the inside of the mouse to ensure dust bunnies don't block the optical beam.

Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
7846 posts
9209 upvotes
Vancouver
Lenovo Wired USB Mouse - $7.99