Food & Drink

Does anyone know how to recreate Fontaine Sante's spinach dip?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 24th, 2022 12:12 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2010
2571 posts
1287 upvotes
Toronto

Does anyone know how to recreate Fontaine Sante's spinach dip?

It can be bought in costco, I haven't seen this brand anywhere else.

I haven't ever made spinach dip before so I tried to recreate it many times a month ago. I tried all the recipes where they either add cream cheese, mayo, sour cream, knorr packet (albeit half), etc, and none of it comes out tasting like this one in particular.

When looking at the ingredients, it seems perhaps I should add more roast and or dehydrated vegetables and not add any hard/soft/cream cheese

If anyone has a recipe that would get it as close as to this particular dip, then that would be amazing. I've tried other brands of dip (summer fresh, tostitos) and in my opinion, they simply don't compare to this one.
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7442 posts
2500 upvotes
They carry it at Metro too. It's my favourite, too.

The ingredient list pretty much gives you a recipe. Mayonnaise, sour cream, spinach, roasted vegetables, for the dehydrated vegetables I'd just chop regular vegetables quite fine. One of the big differences between this spinach dip and others is that this one has lots of spinach in it and it is coarsely chopped, it doesn't seem raw so I would cook it lightly, just until wilted. Microwave works well for that. Add fairly coarsely chopped water chestnuts and finely chopped green onion.

Herbs and spices, not sure but I've got a container of this dip in my fridge. I'll taste and see what I think they are. A bit of mustard powder maybe?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2010
2571 posts
1287 upvotes
Toronto
bonterra wrote: They carry it at Metro too. It's my favourite, too.

The ingredient list pretty much gives you a recipe. Mayonnaise, sour cream, spinach, roasted vegetables, for the dehydrated vegetables I'd just chop regular vegetables quite fine. One of the big differences between this spinach dip and others is that this one has lots of spinach in it and it is coarsely chopped, it doesn't seem raw so I would cook it lightly, just until wilted. Microwave works well for that. Add fairly coarsely chopped water chestnuts and finely chopped green onion.

Herbs and spices, not sure but I've got a container of this dip in my fridge. I'll taste and see what I think they are. A bit of mustard powder maybe?
I kept trying it but I fear it'll disappear in an instant and I'll have an empty container. The flavours don't stand out, but there is the crunch from the water chestnuts and the chew from the spinach. Of course there is the mayo base but I can't differentiate between any of the other flavours.

There have been some recipes for spinach dip where they call for nutmug so perhaps that's there. It would give some sweetness. But I'll give mustard a try, thanks.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7442 posts
2500 upvotes
dealo'day wrote: I kept trying it but I fear it'll disappear in an instant and I'll have an empty container. The flavours don't stand out, but there is the crunch from the water chestnuts and the chew from the spinach. Of course there is the mayo base but I can't differentiate between any of the other flavours.

There have been some recipes for spinach dip where they call for nutmug so perhaps that's there. It would give some sweetness. But I'll give mustard a try, thanks.
It's funny because I've been eating homemade spinach dip since I was a kid. I like this brand best because it tastes most similar to the homemade versions. I just realized I liked it so much because it tastes like the version an old friend used to make. We might have to poke around in some old recipe sites to figure out the recipe. I'll ask her kids if any of them have their Mom's recipe for Spinach Dip.

It was always served in a Pumpernickel Bowl and chunks of Pumpernickel bread.

I almost think some of the old style Spinach Dip recipes called for a packet of dried vegetable soup, think of Cup of Soup. Maybe that's where we get the dehydrated vegetables.

This seems to be a homestyle recipe that got commercialized and now we're working back to the original. Interesting.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7442 posts
2500 upvotes
Yup. I think the recipe called for a packet of Knorr Vegetable Soup.

Assorted herbs and spices and dehydrated vegetables.

And my friend was from Eastern Ontario, Fontaine Sante is based in Montreal.

I think we're on to something.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20935 posts
19210 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
bonterra wrote: It's funny because I've been eating homemade spinach dip since I was a kid. I like this brand best because it tastes most similar to the homemade versions. I just realized I liked it so much because it tastes like the version an old friend used to make. We might have to poke around in some old recipe sites to figure out the recipe. I'll ask her kids if any of them have their Mom's recipe for Spinach Dip.

It was always served in a Pumpernickel Bowl and chunks of Pumpernickel bread.

I almost think some of the old style Spinach Dip recipes called for a packet of dried vegetable soup, think of Cup of Soup. Maybe that's where we get the dehydrated vegetables.

This seems to be a homestyle recipe that got commercialized and now we're working back to the original. Interesting.
bonterra wrote: Yup. I think the recipe called for a packet of Knorr Vegetable Soup.

Assorted herbs and spices and dehydrated vegetables.

And my friend was from Eastern Ontario, Fontaine Sante is based in Montreal.

I think we're on to something.
Now … you might very well be onto something. Esp in regards to Knorr Vegetable Soup
It’s a blend of EXCELLENT dehydrated veggies

I’ve had / made Spinach Dip often over the years … as this item was extremely popular back in the 1980s & 90s
Back when you had to pre order a Pumpernickel loaf … cuz no one actually stocked them regularly

Anyhow … I don’t recall any Water Chestnuts
That’s what stood out from the OPs post / recipe / ingredients list

Did a bit of digging …
And lo & behold found this gem on the Knorr website

https://www.knorr.com/us/en/recipes/kno ... h-dip.html
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2010
2571 posts
1287 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote: Now … you might very well be onto something. Esp in regards to Knorr Vegetable Soup
It’s a blend of EXCELLENT dehydrated veggies

I’ve had / made Spinach Dip often over the years … as this item was extremely popular back in the 1980s & 90s
Back when you had to pre order a Pumpernickel loaf … cuz no one actually stocked them regularly

Anyhow … I don’t recall any Water Chestnuts
That’s what stood out from the OPs post / recipe / ingredients list

Did a bit of digging …
And lo & behold found this gem on the Knorr website

https://www.knorr.com/us/en/recipes/kno ... h-dip.html
Oh Knorr knows its consumers quite well.

They even have spinach dip right on the packet as the image despite the vegetable mix likely being the same to the soup vegetable mix.

But thanks for reminding me to try the mix again. I'll certainly give it a try and not add any cheese in addition to adding more stuff like fried onions.

As for water chestnuts, I found it to be odd that they were listed but it seems like a common ingredient in many recipes on youtube and elsewhere. Anyways, I appreciate your help!
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
11561 posts
6416 upvotes
I make this type of dip from time to time & what I do with the Knorr soup is put it in a sieve & sift all the bouillon powder out, leaving just the dried vegetables. I then use ALL the vegetables & just a bit of of bouillon powder. The dried leeks have a very strong flavour that "makes" the recipe.

I usually use a full 300g brick of No Name frozen spinach nuggets defrosted (but not cooked) & squeezed in paper towel, with 1 bunch of green onions, a scoop each of mayo & sour cream. The rehydrating vegetables suck up some of the moisture, thickening it to a cream cheese consistency. This recipe is good with a shot of nutmeg.

If you wanted specifically roasted onion flavor added, try adding a scoop of fried onions. Dollarama has some great, neutral-tasting (not particularly Indian or Asian style, just neutral) for cheap called Top Taste right now that I recommend.

toptaste.jpg

I use this as a breakfast spread on multigrain toast when I make it.

I think adjusting how you use the soup packet will bring you closer to your goal.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18178 posts
1162 upvotes
Their hummus is the best too. Way better than the Sabra or other ones. I like the roasted garlic.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)