Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3859 posts
2807 upvotes

Does anyone know what this tool is?

Toolunknown.jpg

This tool was in a toolbox full of miscellaneous tools I inherited, and I don't recognize it. It's a set of pliers or crimpers made of hard leather, with interlocking jaws. It obviously has some special purpose, but I don't know what to call it to even try a Google search. Someone must know!
5 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12147 posts
7338 upvotes
Paris
Exp315 wrote:
They are "high tension pliers" designed to remove spark plug leads while the engine is running. Mine don't have any label stamped on them.
WTF? Why would you want to remove while running??
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3859 posts
2807 upvotes
Jerico wrote: WTF? Why would you want to remove while running??
One of the easy tests you can do to see if you are getting good spark is to remove the lead from the plug and hold it close to a grounded bit of metal on the engine block to see if you get visible spark between the plug lead and the ground. Has to be done with the engine running. I guess this tool would allow you to pull off each lead in turn, hold it safely while testing, and then replace it. I've done this test before, and I can tell you that it's tricky to manage without getting a couple of jolts!
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12147 posts
7338 upvotes
Paris
Ive done that too, I guess only with pull start stuff
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2624 posts
1615 upvotes
Alliston, ON
Jerico wrote: WTF? Why would you want to remove while running??
You can test for a misfire or no spark. With the engine running, if you pull the plug wire off and idle speed decreases then that cylinder is working fine. If the idle speed stays the same with the plug wire removed, then there's a problem with one of the components in that cylinder