Computers & Electronics

Does anyone on Rogers XB7 ignite gateway (gen2) modem have the same issue?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 30th, 2021 9:30 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2005
1749 posts
1361 upvotes

Does anyone on Rogers XB7 ignite gateway (gen2) modem have the same issue?

I recently upgraded my internet modem to the rogers gateway ignite XB7 but been having issues with it all day. Wondering if anyone has experienced this and if they have any solution? I have called into rogers and troubleshooted for hours with no avail.

I'm trying to fix an issue where devices can't connect to the 2.4ghz network at all.

They said they can see my wifi online so they don't think it's a hardware issue.

I have split the network into separate 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks. 5ghz devices can connect to the 5ghz network, but nothing (including smartplugs, bulbs, old consoles, wifi adapters, or any 5ghz devices) can connect to the 2.4ghz network.

Whether I combine of split the network, I can't get any 2.4ghz devices to connect to this new modem.

Any ideas?
4 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18021 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
I have not had that issue with the XB series modems. That being said, here are some things you can try:

- remove any saved wifi network settings on the 2.4 Ghz devices

- change the 2.4 GHz name to something completely different without any dashes or anything

- set the password and DON'T use any special characters which could cause issues (i.e. don't use []{}\|^). I tend to use A-Z in upper and lower case, 0-9 numbers, and characters like !@#$%&. For example, a password like &RaB3q@582$1 should be plenty strong.

- reboot the rogers router after making the wifi changes to force the modem to broadcast 2 different SSIDs

- on the 2.4 Ghz devices, it should find the new network broadcast and the devices should be able to connect.

Hope this helps.
Jan 3, 2012
741 posts
338 upvotes
great white north
I have same problem as OP. I have just switched to Rogers ignite and has the XB7 gateway..I have disabled band steering and renamed separate 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, However I noted the 2.4Ghz says no internet when I tried to use this band on my laptop ( tried the suggestion as per the above hightech post) . My home devices that run on 2.4Ghz are not working now as per OP. I have tried Rogers technical support 3x but have not been able to resolve this. Would using my own router and putting this gateway in bridge resolve this ?. I am sure this is a common problem with these routers with built in band steering and if anyone here who had been able to resolve this please chime in...Arghhhh
Sep 30, 2015
449 posts
156 upvotes
York, ON
nintendo wrote: I recently upgraded my internet modem to the rogers gateway ignite XB7 but been having issues with it all day. Wondering if anyone has experienced this and if they have any solution? I have called into rogers and troubleshooted for hours with no avail.

I'm trying to fix an issue where devices can't connect to the 2.4ghz network at all.

They said they can see my wifi online so they don't think it's a hardware issue.

I have split the network into separate 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks. 5ghz devices can connect to the 5ghz network, but nothing (including smartplugs, bulbs, old consoles, wifi adapters, or any 5ghz devices) can connect to the 2.4ghz network.

Whether I combine of split the network, I can't get any 2.4ghz devices to connect to this new modem.

Any ideas?
I had the same issue. My wife's cell phone and computers are connected, except my cell phone which cannot connect. Call Rogers, same as your experience, and they cannot help. Then I was looking at my settings on iphone, and found out that something was turn on or off (unfortunately I cannot remember what), and fixing it corrected my problem. If you have not corrected it yet, I suggest you step through the settings and see if you can find an item that is wrongly turned on or off. Good luck.
Jan 3, 2012
741 posts
338 upvotes
great white north
Figured out my own solution at last after wasting 5 days trying different methods of resolving this( with Rogers technical support too).
I decided to reset the XB7 to factory setting ( in the rogers ignite wifi app ). After it rebooted, looking at the options available when I started re-configuring this XB7, I decided to enable separate 2.4Ghz band and 5Ghz band with separate ssid name and passwords. Note that the prompt from Rogers suggests you don't separate these and allow band steering but that had not worked for me before. I elected to use my original ssid and its passkey for the 5Ghz band and a separate ssid and passkey for the 2.4Ghz band and after all these self configuration was done and XB7 rebooted, I could now get all my home devices ( eg Reolink camera, older Lenovo laptop, older Brother wireless DL series printer/scanner, Blink mini, Ring doorbell 2 ) to all work now when previously they will not connect even after I tried to separate these two band after the first time initial configuration suggested by the Rogers guide.
I don't intend to use and Rogers wi fi pods so not enabling the the band steering is not a problem.
Like some of the posters mentioned in the Rogers community forum mentioned on why Rogers insisted on band steering on this XB7 is beyond me as I am sure there a quite a few of us using these devices that run on the 2,4Ghz band only.
Hopefully this post help some ppl who continue to have this issue with the XB7 gateway

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)