Shopping Discussion

Does Canadian Tire make it impossible to find things in store so as to force customers to use curb side pick up?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 18th, 2021 8:43 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
7726 posts
5706 upvotes
Toronto

Does Canadian Tire make it impossible to find things in store so as to force customers to use curb side pick up?

To be fair, I don't actually believe this to be the case, but today's shopping experience pushes me into believing such.

So - was unexpectedly gifted a large bunch of pears, which resulted in my needing to get some mason jars for canning. Busy time now for canning, so not always easy to find what is needed in stock. Sure enough, according to the website, my closest Canadian Tire (Weston/401) did not have what I needed. However, the Kipling/Rexdale store had huge numbers in stock (we are talking hundreds).

What I hoped would be a quick in and out turned out to be a 45 minute waiting experience.
The Aisle mentioned on website is totally cleared out. It took like forever to get someone to help me, and then even longer for them to find the things I needed (from their employee only storage). I needed a few different sizes, and 1 size could not be found.

To be fair - the employee helping me was really nice. It just seems that the interior of that store (which is one of the smaller stores that opened up decades ago) is total chaos. Products just seem to be scattered everywhere. I've never seen it, but I can only guess that their warehouse area is a nightmare.

I don't go to Canadian Tire that often, but when I do, I almost always have difficulty finding what I need.
In short - it is the sort of store where it pays off to pay someone to find what you need, lol.
Last edited by shikotee on Aug 18th, 2021 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
20 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5992 posts
1342 upvotes
Toronto
Most of the time I find exactly what I need where the website says the product is.

Only time I couldn't find something like that is when a Canadian Tire was going through, what seems like a whole store shelf layout sort. I've seen a few of them going through new relines in the past year. Product they're planning to relocate are put somewhere else.

Perhaps that location was going through one of those. If so, the website probably won't update aisles until they're done.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19461 posts
22595 upvotes
GTA
No Frills wrote: Most of the time I find exactly what I need where the website says the product is.

Only time I couldn't find something like that is when a Canadian Tire was going through, what seems like a whole store shelf layout sort. I've seen a few of them going through new relines in the past year. Product they're planning to relocate are put somewhere else.

Perhaps that location was going through one of those. If so, the website probably won't update aisles until they're done.
+1, I rarely have trouble. I love that they list the isle on the app/website, makes it even easier.
OP, sounds like you were after a hot item and they haven't had a chance to restock a new shipment.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
16847 posts
32942 upvotes
Scarborough
I've had pretty good luck finding things in-store based on where the website tells me it is in the store. Whenever I go in blind, I usually end up spending way more time in the store trying to find what I need. Same things goes for Home Depot too.

Also, isn't curbside pickup a free service there?
RFD Staff - Have a question? Send me a PM
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts]
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3770 posts
2451 upvotes
London
TomRFD wrote: I've had pretty good luck finding things in-store based on where the website tells me it is in the store. Whenever I go in blind, I usually end up spending way more time in the store trying to find what I need. Same things goes for Home Depot too.

Also, isn't curbside pickup a free service there?
says it is right on the main page of there website is big letters. only way they charge u is if u select ship to your home.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2017
5276 posts
3742 upvotes
Vancouver
Generally I have no issue finding stuff at CT when I do shop there. They also have a few of those bells you can press if you need help. Generally pretty easy to find and it’s an easier way to find help than actually looking for someone. Given sometimes they might be in the back or helping in another section.

Of course it’s worth noting I don’t shop at CT all that often so maybe I’ve been lucky.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7177 posts
9151 upvotes
The NORTH
Odd, Canadian Tire is one of the few stores (Home Depot being the other) where the in store location seems to be accurate. I rarely ever have a problem finding anything that is listed online with a location listed in the store. Maybe its because they are a smaller store as you said or that they are in a seasonal transition?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
7726 posts
5706 upvotes
Toronto
I wonder if my experience is different due to my always going to the two stores I mentioned?

Weston/401 is closer to me, and also a much bigger store.
Problem is - more often than not, they are out of stock, especially if the item is on sale.
My guess is this is a pretty popular store due to convenient highway access location.

The Rexdale store is like a clown car by comparison. Everything is very tightly spaced,
and inventory seems to often be in disarray. See lots of store sealed up products, meaning they were either returns, or customers opened things up to take a peak.
No Frills wrote: Most of the time I find exactly what I need where the website says the product is.

I definitely love how the website specifies the aisle.

Worth mentioning - The Rexdale store did have its outdoor garden centre converted into an outdoor Season Clearance centre (filled mostly with toys, and some summer stuff like BBQ's, etc).
Perhaps this was recently deployed, and thus contributed to the chaos?
With this said - It is canning season, and jars are in high demand.
This isn't their first rodeo - one would think they would be better prepared for this, especially as they actually have inventory.

In any case -
Not sure why some here bother with downvoting. I think 45 minutes to get mason jars is ridiculous - guess there are some that think this is perfectly reasonable?
The only reason I went to that store was because it was the only one that allegedly had all 3 sizes of jars I needed in stock.
I only managed to purchase 2 sizes because the employee could not locate the 125ml 12 pack (which the website shows 22 in stock)
For the ones I purchased - 559 and 154 items in stock, according to the website.
It took about 10-15 minutes (per size) to be located by the employee.
Worth mentioning - this wasn't a random worker from another dept - this was their dept.
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2971 posts
1620 upvotes
B.C.
Crappy Tire stores are often owned by hoarders and the owners will buy tonnes of stuff when it's on sale (They get it discounted when it's discounted in the flyer!)

That's why you'll often see stores that have 500 of something in stock when a normal amount to keep on hand would be 25-50. If the store is poorly managed - like they often are - all this stock will sit in the back and never get sold. Better run stores don't have a blackhole in the back that sucks up money warehousing a bunch of crap people can't buy!
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12201 posts
3196 upvotes
--
Always works for me in store no problem.

Also saw this on top of someone's car at Canadian tire the other day...
PXL_20210814_173552871.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5992 posts
1342 upvotes
Toronto
shikotee wrote: I wonder if my experience is different due to my always going to the two stores I mentioned?

Weston/401 is closer to me, and also a much bigger store.
Problem is - more often than not, they are out of stock, especially if the item is on sale.
My guess is this is a pretty popular store due to convenient highway access location.

The Rexdale store is like a clown car by comparison. Everything is very tightly spaced,
and inventory seems to often be in disarray. See lots of store sealed up products, meaning they were either returns, or customers opened things up to take a peak.
I definitely love how the website specifies the aisle.

Worth mentioning - The Rexdale store did have its outdoor garden centre converted into an outdoor Season Clearance centre (filled mostly with toys, and some summer stuff like BBQ's, etc).
Perhaps this was recently deployed, and thus contributed to the chaos?
With this said - It is canning season, and jars are in high demand.
This isn't their first rodeo - one would think they would be better prepared for this, especially as they actually have inventory.

In any case -
Not sure why some here bother with downvoting. I think 45 minutes to get mason jars is ridiculous - guess there are some that think this is perfectly reasonable?
The only reason I went to that store was because it was the only one that allegedly had all 3 sizes of jars I needed in stock.
I only managed to purchase 2 sizes because the employee could not locate the 125ml 12 pack (which the website shows 22 in stock)
For the ones I purchased - 559 and 154 items in stock, according to the website.
It took about 10-15 minutes (per size) to be located by the employee.
Worth mentioning - this wasn't a random worker from another dept - this was their dept.
If an aisle shelf is empty and inventory shows 100+ units it usually means they have pallet drops or a peripheral display somewhere in the store. This week in jarring season, I wouldn't be surprised if they were right at the entrance. Come in the store determined to look for an aisle #, one would walk right by the pallet.

If the the jars truly wasn't somewhere on the sales floor (likely if it was a 45 min hunt) they probably unloaded a bunch of trailers at once and the product probably got buried in the back and was inaccessible to the employee helping you.

Only other scenario is that pallet of jars the store got billed for was never received. If they don't catch it, the franchisees financials will be affected during their next inventory count if they don't investigate promptly.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7177 posts
9151 upvotes
The NORTH
XtremeModder wrote: Always works for me in store no problem.

Also saw this on top of someone's car at Canadian tire the other day...

PXL_20210814_173552871.jpg
Who cares? Start a thread in the appropriate area. An antivax message on top of a car has NOTHING to do with the discussion going on here.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
7726 posts
5706 upvotes
Toronto
TomRFD wrote: Also, isn't curbside pickup a free service there?
You are right - it is free in store pick-up.
I could swear that they charged $5 for pick-up.
Did they not charge this during lock-down?

Guess I need to change my thread title.
Rationale stays the same - make the in person shopping experience terrible, push people to place orders for pick-up.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7177 posts
9151 upvotes
The NORTH
shikotee wrote: You are right - it is free in store pick-up.
I could swear that they charged $5 for pick-up.
Did they not charge this during lock-down?

Guess I need to change my thread title.
Rationale stays the same - make the in person shopping experience terrible, push people to place orders for pick-up.
Not that I am aware of, did a couple pickups during the pandemic and never charged for it. I needed a specific battery and couldn't wait for amazon, $6 and an hour later I had it from Canadian Tire with no fee.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2971 posts
1620 upvotes
B.C.
No Frills wrote: If an aisle shelf is empty and inventory shows 100+ units it usually means they have pallet drops or a peripheral display somewhere in the store. This week in jarring season, I wouldn't be surprised if they were right at the entrance. Come in the store determined to look for an aisle #, one would walk right by the pallet.

If the the jars truly wasn't somewhere on the sales floor (likely if it was a 45 min hunt) they probably unloaded a bunch of trailers at once and the product probably got buried in the back and was inaccessible to the employee helping you.

Only other scenario is that pallet of jars the store got billed for was never received. If they don't catch it, the franchisees financials will be affected during their next inventory count if they don't investigate promptly.
Crappy Tire scans every item in to the store as it comes off the truck. The truck drivers help/supervise because they have to answer if the item isn't there (after being scanned in to the truck and out of the DC)
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
7726 posts
5706 upvotes
Toronto
No Frills wrote: If an aisle shelf is empty and inventory shows 100+ units it usually means they have pallet drops or a peripheral display somewhere in the store. This week in jarring season, I wouldn't be surprised if they were right at the entrance. Come in the store determined to look for an aisle #, one would walk right by the pallet.

The employee that helped me basically explained that the jars move fast - hence why the shelves were empty. The jars were not located somewhere else in the store.

Worth mentioning - with all the time that was taken to get me the jars, no extras were actually brought out to restock the empty shelves.

You are making all sorts of theoretical excuses, while completely ignoring the actual point and complaint I am making here - they have the items in the building - the problem is no one seems to know where exactly. I was there early/mid afternoon - the store was not super busy with customers - it was fairly empty. If I had to guess, filling the shelves with product was someone else's job, and no one seemed to care that the shelves were empty (despite plenty of stock, somewhere).
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5992 posts
1342 upvotes
Toronto
shikotee wrote: The employee that helped me basically explained that the jars move fast - hence why the shelves were empty. The jars were not located somewhere else in the store.

Worth mentioning - with all the time that was taken to get me the jars, no extras were actually brought out to restock the empty shelves.

You are making all sorts of theoretical excuses, while completely ignoring the actual point and complaint I am making here - they have the items in the building - the problem is no one seems to know where exactly. I was there early/mid afternoon - the store was not super busy with customers - it was fairly empty. If I had to guess, filling the shelves with product was someone else's job, and no one seemed to care that the shelves were empty (despite plenty of stock, somewhere).
Just trying to help you understand where your jars could have been. I don't need to give CT "excuses". If the point was the store was in disarray with empty shelves, that's fine.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29051 posts
14592 upvotes
kr0zet wrote: Odd, Canadian Tire is one of the few stores (Home Depot being the other) where the in store location seems to be accurate. I rarely ever have a problem finding anything that is listed online with a location listed in the store. Maybe its because they are a smaller store as you said or that they are in a seasonal transition?
Depends on the item. If it's a regular item, then yeah it'll say what aisle it is.
But there's a few items that end up on "Sports wall" or seasonal or an aisle that doesn't exist or just isn't there.

Still though... I'd take their current system over someone like Walmart which has a shit website and no one knows (or cares) where anything is.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
7726 posts
5706 upvotes
Toronto
No Frills wrote: Just trying to help you understand where your jars could have been. I don't need to give CT "excuses". If the point was the store was in disarray with empty shelves, that's fine.
So.... It seems your approach was much more spot on.

I was gifted another box of pears, so needed to get some more 1L wide mouth jars.
Went to the Rexdale CT. This time, the shelves were mostly stocked.
Further down, in one of the much wider aisles, were several skids of mason jars of varying sizes.
None of those skids were there during my previous trip.

They must have just received a shipment (increasing qty available on website), but not yet had a chance to deal with it.
This would likely explain why it took so long to figure out where they were.

So very much less likely an incompetence factor.
In short - I guess it was just bad luck that my purchase needs didn't sync with their acquisition system.
So my vent here was erroneous on multiple levels.

Sure am glad I didn't pull a Karen and vent on the employee during my initial trip.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2971 posts
1620 upvotes
B.C.
shikotee wrote: The employee that helped me basically explained that the jars move fast - hence why the shelves were empty. The jars were not located somewhere else in the store.

Most CT stores only restock once a day which is crazy low. I worked at one that did it twice a day during the week and three times per day on the weekend. It was automated and warehouse guys would deliver a cart of stuff that sold and you had to restock it. I think 95% of CT stores don't operate this way.

CT also assigns the amount of shelf space for sales spread over the year. You might sell 50 a day in canning season but barely any the rest of the year so it'll have a small product home on the shelf. They *should* have given it an end cap or something nearby due to the increased demand but again, minimum wage = minimum effort and most people DGAF.