Home & Garden

Does this couch go in this room for staging?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 2nd, 2019 10:48 am

Poll: Does this couch go in this room?

• Total votes: 18. You have voted on this poll.
It's terrible

50%
It's fine

22%
It's good

22%
It's very good

0%
Excellent

6%

Poll ended at Jun 1st, 2019 10:14 pm

[OP]
Apr 7, 2014
230 posts
76 upvotes
Whitby, ON

Does this couch go in this room for staging?

I'd like opinions on this couch,
I just had a stager say this couch is what people like, they're staging my house, and I don't like how it looks and neither do my neighbors who are men, but women say it's OK..

I Just want to know if I'm being unreasonable or not.. she says to trust her it will look good.
I had to move the couch to the garage because it smells really bad, so bad that the entire rooms smells. Only thought afterwards to create this poll.

She says she smells nothing, 4 other people say it smells bad, and 1 other said they don't smell too much just a little.
She told me to trust her because it's what buyers are looking for and will work great with two accent chairs on the side.

Opinions are appreciated... The legs are missing in the photo, but I think it gives the idea.

I don't want to be unreasonable, the smell is unacceptable, but I don't even know if I should use this couch for the photos or not?
Images
  • IMG_4133.JPG
  • IMG_4134.JPG
Last edited by sailplane on Jun 5th, 2019 6:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
28 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
14266 posts
4015 upvotes
Montréal
I think it's OK but the bigger concern is the smell, that's a deal breaker.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
[OP]
Apr 7, 2014
230 posts
76 upvotes
Whitby, ON
Also 1 leg is broken and may fall out if someone sits on the couch.. it does not screw in properly
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8643 posts
2567 upvotes
Mississauga
I don't like that couch. Wouldn't use it if it stinks.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
14266 posts
4015 upvotes
Montréal
sailplane wrote: Also 1 leg is broken and may fall out if someone sits on the couch.. it does not screw in properly
Why bother asking then? Lol.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
[OP]
Apr 7, 2014
230 posts
76 upvotes
Whitby, ON
tranquility922 wrote: Why bother asking then? Lol.
She says to use it for photos and then she will find something else. So I'm asking because I think I shouldn't even use it for photos. I should've said that in the post.. I wanted to see if I'm being unreasonable to say we're not taking photos with this couch.
Last edited by sailplane on May 30th, 2019 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
14266 posts
4015 upvotes
Montréal
sailplane wrote: She says to use it for photos and then she will find something else. So I'm asking because I think I shouldn't even use it for photos.
Hmmm, she's not making much sense, photos won't equal the actual setting? Never heard of staging like that.
[OP]
Apr 7, 2014
230 posts
76 upvotes
Whitby, ON
tranquility922 wrote: Hmmm, she's not making much sense, photos won't equal the actual setting? Never heard of staging like that.
Yes, that's what would happen... at this point she may find a better one before the photographer (tomorrow at 4) or maybe I just have to cancel the photos and list for next weekend.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
14266 posts
4015 upvotes
Montréal
sailplane wrote: Yes, that's what would happen... at this point she may find a better one before the photographer (tomorrow at 4) or maybe I just have to cancel the photos and list for next weekend.
Oh boy, doesn't seem very organised. GL.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10066 posts
1513 upvotes
So besides the messy schedule and organization on her part. If it's just for photos, then it's fine. It's all about how you dress it up and the entire room, not one piece.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11906 posts
8172 upvotes
Edmonton
It looks better than the cushions sitting on the floor...

But honestly, I'd find another stager... This one wouldn't be worth the money even if she was working for free. You might as well go buy stuff at Ikea or Winners and then return it after you sell the house.

C
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11906 posts
8172 upvotes
Edmonton
And you'll probably get more input in the Home & Garden forum... This isn't really a fashion and beauty topic.

C
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2328 posts
920 upvotes
Toronto
The stager seems to be disorganized or just doesn't care about stuff. If 1 leg is broken then why bother bringing it over to your house for a photo? Obviously, people are going to want to see the house that is in the pictures they see online. OK, it's not a deal breaker that 1 sofa is different from the pictures but still.

The smell is a deal breaker for me too. Maybe just spray it with Febreeze or something?

Otherwise, the sofa looks good to me. It will work with your white coloured walls.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11644 posts
2144 upvotes
Toronto
Looks bulky and stained. Doesn't leave that airy feeling. I think she's just lazy. But hard to get anotber nice looking one in. I think airing it out as much as possible, febreeze it, throw some yellowy pillows and partial type cover will do wonders.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15724 posts
13470 upvotes
Richmond Hill
What kind of a hack home stager is this?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7180 posts
4365 upvotes
Victoria, BC
ds2chan wrote: Otherwise, the sofa looks good to me. It will work with your white coloured walls.
Those walls are most definitely not white.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2328 posts
920 upvotes
Toronto
Chickinvic wrote: Those walls are most definitely not white.
lol.. I only had a glance initially but on my second look I saw the walls are yellow. I still think the sofa would look fine in that room if it had 4 working legs.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
14266 posts
4015 upvotes
Montréal
Ya, another comment is I dunno if it's just a bad photo/lighting (probably), but the walls look pretty bad, like stained.
Jun 11, 2006
456 posts
440 upvotes
While not exactly what I would choose for myself, I don't mind that couch. (I'm female btw). I prefer a tailored look and a couch with legs.

However, the smell would be a issue for me.

Also, in all the houses I've ever looked at, I don't think I ever say on the furniture. I'm sure I'd be mortified if I sat on the couch and it broke!
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15515 posts
12723 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
stack1 wrote: While not exactly what I would choose for myself, I don't mind that couch. (I'm female btw). I prefer a tailored look and a couch with legs.

However, the smell would be a issue for me.

Also, in all the houses I've ever looked at, I don't think I ever say on the furniture. I'm sure I'd be mortified if I sat on the couch and it broke!
This

Seriously who sits on other people’s furniture when touring during a Showing ?

I get opening cupboards, closets ... even fridges & stoves

And running water, flushing toilets

Cuz one is buying all that stuff.

But sitting on furniture or beds & looking in dressers etc, that’s a big no-no

And a GOOD Real Estate Agent would be walking around with the viewer to make sure that crap is not happening
Couch is just fine for a photo shoot... and yes neutral coloured tuxedo couches are always fashionable

But... if it smells, no way in hell should it be around during a showing.

Smell is a huge part of buying a house... gotta smell good, or neutral / nothing.