• Last Updated:
  • Dec 19th, 2020 10:08 am
[OP]
Sep 15, 2018
331 posts
59 upvotes

Does Credit Bureau have our SIN?

Hi.

I am looking to get a free credit report from Equifax and TransUnion.

It looks like if we apply through mail we don’t have to provide our SIN whereas we have to provide our SIN if we are applying through phone or online. But with mail, I’ll have to send my drivers license copy.

My question is if Equifax and TransUnion already have our SIN or are they just going to be collecting and adding it to our file once we provide it?

Searches online seem to suggest they don’t have our SIN until we provide it to them but not too sure. Anyone experts in this field?

Thanks.
Last edited by Kyle12345 on Dec 15th, 2020 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
15 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2017
1232 posts
1035 upvotes
Calgary
If you’ve ever provided your SIN to a bank/credit card company or anyone else who can search or report info to the credit bureau, they already have it on file.
[OP]
Sep 15, 2018
331 posts
59 upvotes
CanadianSpruce wrote: If you’ve ever provided your SIN to a bank/credit card company or anyone else who can search or report info to the credit bureau, they already have it on file.
The only places I can remember of giving it to is my employer and bank. Is it required to provide it to banks if we’re opening an account like a stocking trading account?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
7979 posts
3270 upvotes
Financial District B…
As stated by Spruce above, if you have ever applied for a credit product or submitted disclosure for anything where a credit check is required including employment then both credit bureau entities will have your SIN on file as an identifier.
Your SIN can be submitted to the credit bureaus via your employers(via ERB checks) even if you have never supplied your SIN on any credit application.
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
[OP]
Sep 15, 2018
331 posts
59 upvotes
mikeymike1 wrote: As stated by Spruce above, if you have ever applied for a credit product or submitted disclosure for anything where a credit check is required including employment then both credit bureau entities will have your SIN on file as an identifier.
Your SIN can be submitted to the credit bureaus via your employers(via ERB checks) even if you have never supplied your SIN on any credit application.
ERB checks?
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2017
1232 posts
1035 upvotes
Calgary
Kyle12345 wrote: The only places I can remember of giving it to is my employer and bank. Is it required to provide it to banks if we’re opening an account like a stocking trading account?
You’d have to provide your SIN when opening a stock trading account for tax purposes. When the the banks does the monthly soft credit search on your report each month they will have reported it.

Most employers who do criminal background checks use Equifax or TU for verify your identity for the check. They’ll have got your sin that way as well.
[OP]
Sep 15, 2018
331 posts
59 upvotes
CanadianSpruce wrote: You’d have to provide your SIN when opening a stock trading account for tax purposes. When the the banks does the monthly soft credit search on your report each month they will have reported it.

Most employers who do criminal background checks use Equifax or TU for verify your identity for the check. They’ll have got your sin that way as well.
Banks do monthly soft credit checks?! For what?
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2017
1232 posts
1035 upvotes
Calgary
Kyle12345 wrote: Banks do monthly soft credit checks?! For what?
So they can send targeted pre-approvals and to monitor late payments/defaults to reduce their own losses.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
7979 posts
3270 upvotes
Financial District B…
Kyle12345 wrote: ERB checks?
oops, ERC

ERC = Enhanced Reliability Check - Security clearance
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
1594 posts
2014 upvotes
mikeymike1 wrote: oops, ERC

ERC = Enhanced Reliability Check - Security clearance
A credit check is part of ERC, so, yes, very likely submission included the associated SIN to credit bureaus.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1172 posts
644 upvotes
Ripley
Have you looked to see if your bank offers credit reports for free? I can access mine by logging into my online banking account. Transunion I think.
[OP]
Sep 15, 2018
331 posts
59 upvotes
zeddy wrote: Have you looked to see if your bank offers credit reports for free? I can access mine by logging into my online banking account. Transunion I think.
I think only the score, not the report. How often can we request for a free credit report?
Jan 31, 2008
474 posts
163 upvotes
Summerstown, ON
The credit bureau's do not require your SIN for obtaining your credit report online or by mail, although it may reduce accuracy if you do not provide it.

I believe they use some type of algo. They have such a massive database with so many similiar names and birthdates.
"It is never too late to be what you might have been. "
Dec 10, 2018
34 posts
42 upvotes
Dont order or pay for any report

www.creditkarma.ca has TransUnion reporting for free. This includes the full report and score with free weekly updates.

www.borrowell.com has Equifax reporting for free. This includes the full report and score with free monthly reporting.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
1527 posts
850 upvotes
I get credit reports monthly and weekly

INTERNET can further guide you