Computers & Electronics

Does everyone see white vertical lines in LED backlit TV's? (New LED TV driving me nuts)

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 28th, 2018 8:36 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 27, 2011
3881 posts
2794 upvotes
Toronto

Does everyone see white vertical lines in LED backlit TV's? (New LED TV driving me nuts)

I recently got a new LED TV on boxing day and I feel like I am taking crazy pills because watching hockey on it is hard because all I can see are dark strips on the white ice.

I took this picture off rtings.com and it accurately represents what I can not unsee on my TV. Is this something people just deal with on LED backlit TVs?

I thought my Samsaung MU6300 was defective because of this but the fact that the rtings.com review looks the same I doubt it now...

It just looks very uneven. I am coming from a Panasonic plasma TV. Maybe I was just spoiled by the great technology of plasma?
Images
  • mu6300-dse-small.jpg
------------------------------------
10 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2018
1009 posts
48 upvotes
Yes, cheaper LED's are going to look like that.

The more expensive LED's will have more LED strips and in more places inside the housing, to minimize the dark areas.

Only way to nip that problem in the butt is to get an OLED (or Plasma if you can still find one)

BTW OLED is better than Plasma, but $$$
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 24, 2003
18517 posts
5565 upvotes
Toronto
OLED TVs can also suffer from banding/cloudiness. Sometimes, it's a matter of what a viewer can live with.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 16, 2010
3325 posts
1880 upvotes
CoolDudeClan wrote: I recently got a new LED TV on boxing day and I feel like I am taking crazy pills because watching hockey on it is hard because all I can see are dark strips on the white ice.

I took this picture off rtings.com and it accurately represents what I can not unsee on my TV. Is this something people just deal with on LED backlit TVs?

I thought my Samsaung MU6300 was defective because of this but the fact that the rtings.com review looks the same I doubt it now...

It just looks very uneven. I am coming from a Panasonic plasma TV. Maybe I was just spoiled by the great technology of plasma?
I have a 65" MU6300. I use it primarily for gaming and don't really notice it but Sometimes in netflix i'll see it.

I have the same issue, just the way the TV is made. It's better than edgelit tvs that have massive backlight bleed IMO.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3324 posts
2061 upvotes
Mississauga
CoolDudeClan wrote: I recently got a new LED TV on boxing day and I feel like I am taking crazy pills because watching hockey on it is hard because all I can see are dark strips on the white ice.

I took this picture off rtings.com and it accurately represents what I can not unsee on my TV. Is this something people just deal with on LED backlit TVs?

I thought my Samsaung MU6300 was defective because of this but the fact that the rtings.com review looks the same I doubt it now...

It just looks very uneven. I am coming from a Panasonic plasma TV. Maybe I was just spoiled by the great technology of plasma?
Which panel does your TV use. What you are noticing is called Dirty Screen Effect which relates to Grey Uniformity. It is most noticeable in grey or off-white colors. Some TVs handle this a bit better than the other, but more or less you have to just live with it.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
31994 posts
13480 upvotes
Doesn't really have anything to do with LED backlighting per se. The same can be seen on TVs that are: CCFL lit, LEDge lit, LED array-lit. As stated, some TVs are going to be worse than others. If you're really annoyed by it your best bet is to return it but if you got it on BD then surely return period is over (unless you got it at Costco or something where you may still be able to return?).
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
12003 posts
5989 upvotes
Poutsounia wrote: Yes, cheaper LED's are going to look like that.

The more expensive LED's will have more LED strips and in more places inside the housing, to minimize the dark areas.

Only way to nip that problem in the butt is to get an OLED (or Plasma if you can still find one)

BTW OLED is better than Plasma, but $$$
Not to my eyes. I check every year and have yet to see a tv as nice on the eyes as my F8500 ( or even my Kuro before it). It is just the warmth of the colors that they can't match a plasma on.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 27, 2011
3881 posts
2794 upvotes
Toronto
Damn... I thought this was a decent model. Yep can't return it, guess I just won't use it to watch hockey. That's the only time I really notice it against the white ice and the fast moving side to side.

I absolutely love the plasma screen technology, my Pana was a trusty steed for 11 years. Great colours and motion.
------------------------------------
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 27, 2011
3881 posts
2794 upvotes
Toronto
Wow I am looking at reviews of higher end TV's and some have terrible grey uniformity as well. Pretty surprising.
------------------------------------
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2018
1009 posts
48 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote: Not to my eyes. I check every year and have yet to see a tv as nice on the eyes as my F8500 ( or even my Kuro before it). It is just the warmth of the colors that they can't match a plasma on.
I used to have a E550 Series Plasma. It was an awesome display, and that excellent contrast ratios and deep blacks. But it suffered from lower max brightness, as compared to a typical LED display.

I replaced it with an OLED 55EG9200 and I noticed the blacks were even deeper than the plasma (basically zero), and the brightness is about equal to a regular LED panel.

It wins by a small margin, but even a 10% improvement is still technically a win.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 27, 2011
3881 posts
2794 upvotes
Toronto
Here is a HORRIBLE one. I would throw this TV in the garbage if I couldn't return it.
Images
  • uf9500-dse-small.jpg
------------------------------------

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)