Home & Garden

Does this exist? 6-30P Outlet Timer

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2020 9:55 pm
Feb 27, 2007
667 posts
558 upvotes

Does this exist? 6-30P Outlet Timer

I have a welding receptacle (NEMA 6-30R) in my garage that I currently have a Dyna-Glo 4800w heater (NEMA 6-30P) plugged into, what I'm looking for for is an outlet timer box so I can have it run during off-peak hours.

The closest I've been able to find is the Intermatic HB114, but it uses a NEMA 15-20R/P. Being as I'm not an expert and have no idea what the supply houses carry I thought I'd check and see if anyone here knows if one exists.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2695 posts
591 upvotes
North York
I don't know if there's a plug in model, but you can get hardwired timers that are capable of controlling a hot tub (ex. 50-60a @ 240v)
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
830 upvotes
Waterloo
von Monster wrote: I have a welding receptacle (NEMA 6-30R) in my garage that I currently have a Dyna-Glo 4800w heater (NEMA 6-30P) plugged into, what I'm looking for for is an outlet timer box so I can have it run during off-peak hours.

The closest I've been able to find is the Intermatic HB114, but it uses a NEMA 15-20R/P. Being as I'm not an expert and have no idea what the supply houses carry I thought I'd check and see if anyone here knows if one exists.
can it be used with a Thermostat? just get a programmable thermostat.

If it cant, you can re-wire the internals to match the Bigger ones which Can be run on external thermostats.
----
Pay it forward.
Feb 27, 2007
667 posts
558 upvotes
It has a built-in thermostat, which I use to keep the garage at around 5 degrees. What I'm looking for is a plug timer so I can run it during off peak Hydro hours.
Feb 27, 2007
667 posts
558 upvotes
cliff wrote: I don't know if there's a plug in model, but you can get hardwired timers that are capable of controlling a hot tub (ex. 50-60a @ 240v)
I figure that's my backup plan, but the plug is already fully wired so I was hoping to find a simple plug timer.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
830 upvotes
Waterloo
von Monster wrote: It has a built-in thermostat, which I use to keep the garage at around 5 degrees. What I'm looking for is a plug timer so I can run it during off peak Hydro hours.
With an external thermostat, you can program the thermostat to which times its supposed to run at. its the least expensive and the most reliable option.
----
Pay it forward.
Feb 27, 2007
667 posts
558 upvotes
Supahhh wrote: With an external thermostat, you can program the thermostat to which times its supposed to run at. its the least expensive and the most reliable option.
Not really certain how you would hook-up an external thermostat to the 4800 without completely gutting it - its internal wiring is quite a bit different than the 7500 you listed.

At that point wiring a hot-tub timer inline (or making an extension cord with it) seems like it would be easier?
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
I am guessing but a hot tub timer wired to do what you want will buy a lot of on peak electricity...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)