Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
3843 posts
1326 upvotes
Belle River

Does Geforce Now suck?

Tried it out on an Nvidia Shield and not impressed. I tried a Uplay game, Ghost Recon Wildlands, and it looked pretty bad. So I go into the game's graphics settings and try Ultra but the game gets all slow and choppy. Turn it down to I think it was called High and still pretty slow and choppy. So I put it back to the Custom settings that were default and yeah it moves OK, not great but OK, but as I said looks pretty bad.

This kinda surprised me, I always thought that these cloud services are supposed to be like a pretty high end gaming PC, and this game I tried came out in March 2017.

Was I expecting too much?
13 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2398 posts
397 upvotes
It's down to your ISP, routing, and home network. Most people have terrible home networks. The actual server instances the games are run on significantly outclass most gaming PC's. The choppiness and slowdown was due to the resolution changing when you used the presets.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
6113 posts
6428 upvotes
GTA
I will say that ISP is a major factor, and then make sure to be running wired vs. wireless.
Sad reality is that these streaming services in general are Not Ready For Prime Time. There are issues with ISPs, Publishers joining sides, even controller latency in the case of some games. Which is why I prefer GFN over Stadia. If I'm going to get a subpar experience, then I don't want to pay much (or anything!), and being a gaming PC owner I want to play what I've already got rather than have to subscribe.
c'mon get happy!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
3843 posts
1326 upvotes
Belle River
Ascott wrote: It's down to your ISP, routing, and home network. Most people have terrible home networks. The actual server instances the games are run on significantly outclass most gaming PC's. The choppiness and slowdown was due to the resolution changing when you used the presets.
Can you explain this in more detail? Does that mean we are forced to accept whatever the defaults are?

I forgot to mention that stuff, like I'm on wired, I have gigabit internet and although speeds vary with different services/sites I can always pull hundreds of Mbps. Regarding latency, sorry I forgot to include my test numbers from the Shield's app:
"Your network is optimal for streaming"
Bandwidth (Mbps) >50.00
Packet loss(%) 0.00
Jitter (ms) 0
Ping (ms) 13

All meet/exceed the recommended values that the test shows in the third column.

I'll have to try some more games I guess to get a better sense. Wildlands looked like garbage though, I mean really it wasn't just me being picky :). I've played that game on some pretty weak hardware and it looked better and was totally playable. To be clear I am not talking about what people might call artifacts as a result of the streaming video compression, I mean the game graphics themselves, draw distance, less vegetation, etc., just ugly. And those default settings were reported by the game as only using I think it was about 1.5GB of VRAM.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
6113 posts
6428 upvotes
GTA
hystavito wrote: Can you explain this in more detail? Does that mean we are forced to accept whatever the defaults are?

I forgot to mention that stuff, like I'm on wired, I have gigabit internet and although speeds vary with different services/sites I can always pull hundreds of Mbps. Regarding latency, sorry I forgot to include my test numbers from the Shield's app:
Bandwidth (Mbps) >50.00
Packet loss(%) 0.00
Jitter (ms) 0
Ping (ms) 13

I'll have to try some more games I guess to get a better sense. Wildlands looked like garbage though, I mean really it wasn't just me being picky :). I've played that game on some pretty weak hardware and it looked better and was totally playable. To be clear I am not talking about what people might call artifacts as a result of the streaming video compression, I mean the game graphics themselves, draw distance, less vegetation, etc., just ugly. And those default settings were reported by the game as only using I think it was about 1.5GB of VRAM.
Well your setup sounds good to me. Maybe if was because you're using the free tier? Maybe they prioritize performance to paying customers, so you not only avoid a queue but maybe you get better graphics.
Good idea to try different games, and maybe at different times during the day to see if there is a difference.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2014
2248 posts
1550 upvotes
Toronto, ON
hystavito wrote: Can you explain this in more detail? Does that mean we are forced to accept whatever the defaults are?

Bandwidth (Mbps) >50.00
Packet loss(%) 0.00
Jitter (ms) 0
Ping (ms) 13

When you get poor performance and it's not your connection that's the issue, it's usually because you got assigned a rig that is not the best to run the game.

When that happens, restart the game and see if you get assigned a better rig.

The same thing happened to me with Wildlands, I restarted the game and got much better performance the second time around.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
3843 posts
1326 upvotes
Belle River
BernardRyder wrote: Maybe if was because you're using the free tier?...
Good idea to try different games, and maybe at different times during the day to see if there is a difference.
I was already on paid subscription, kinda dumb but I actually decided to pay first to ensure the best experience when testing.
Niklasky wrote: When you get poor performance and it's not your connection that's the issue, it's usually because you got assigned a rig that is not the best to run the game.

When that happens, restart the game and see if you get assigned a better rig.

The same thing happened to me with Wildlands, I restarted the game and got much better performance the second time around.
I'll keep trying but I did quit and try again multiple times, doing some checks in between of stuff.

I'll try more games and post the results. Thanks
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2014
2248 posts
1550 upvotes
Toronto, ON
hystavito wrote: I was already on paid subscription, kinda dumb but I actually decided to pay first to ensure the best experience when testing.

I'll keep trying but I did quit and try again multiple times, doing some checks in between of stuff.

I'll try more games and post the results. Thanks
Well, I play Wildlands on the Shield too, and I generally get very good performance in ultra settings.

There's always the odd time when I get assigned a shitty rig, I just restart the game and it usually sorts things out.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
3843 posts
1326 upvotes
Belle River
I've tried more games over the last couple days and it seems OK, I tried Wildlands again and it was OK. I guess that was a bad night, I wonder though how often that would happen. Throughout these games I did experience a fair number of slowdowns though, I was just screwing around but I could see that being incredibly frustrating if it ruins some critical moment.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2014
2248 posts
1550 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Well, to each their own. I suppose For me, on both the Shield TV through Ethernet or on the PC via 5ghz wifi, it's pretty flawless. There is always the odd time where I have to restart the game in order to get a better rig, but overall the performance is excellent.

So no, Geforce Now does not suck. Definitely not.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
3843 posts
1326 upvotes
Belle River
Niklasky wrote: Well, to each their own. I suppose For me, on both the Shield TV through Ethernet or on the PC via 5ghz wifi, it's pretty flawless. There is always the odd time where I have to restart the game in order to get a better rig, but overall the performance is excellent.

So no, Geforce Now does not suck. Definitely not.
Do you get any/many slowdowns during gameplay? If you don't mind, what games do you play?
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2014
2248 posts
1550 upvotes
Toronto, ON
hystavito wrote: Do you get any/many slowdowns during gameplay? If you don't mind, what games do you play?
So incidentally, I played last night. I don't have much time during the day, so most of my play sessions are in the evening. I usually get great connection, with little ping, packet loss or jitters.

I played Watchdogs 2. So, when I launched the game, it seemed pretty obvious that I wasn't getting the most efficient/powerful rig. I was still able to set the graphics to ultra high, and the game was smooth, but there were a few frame rate drops, especially while driving a when the screen was a little busy with characters.

So yeah, there were a few slowdown I noticed, which were due to the rig I was assigned, not to the streaming quality.

I play a lot of Ubisoft games on Geforce Now, since they fully support the service, with almost their entire library on there (All the Assassins Creed games, the Far Car games, The Crew 2, Ghost Recon Watchdogs 1 & 2, etc).

I also play a few other games, like World War Z, The WIthcher 3, Just Cause 4, Hitman, etc. Just to name a few.
Jun 9, 2012
470 posts
318 upvotes
Vancouver
Geforce now sucks for me. Too many games have been removed from the platform and any game not on the list seems to be locked out now. Only good games left are Ubisoft games, a few Square Enix games, and some visual novels (although they are kinda boring).
Aug 20, 2009
9093 posts
4386 upvotes
They definitely made a mistake by launching it without coordinating with their partners, a lot of games got pulled. That being said they've slowly been gaining them back, a few publishers and developers who left have come back so I think it's getting there.

I'm just not sure that there is this giant market for these things. We have GeForce Now, PS Now, xCloud, Stadia, etc all competing for the same market that hasn't really shown any signs of emerging yet.

I've had good experiences with it on a wired network but I don't know many people who hardwire anymore unfortunately.