Home & Garden

Does having a shower booth instead of shower tub increase your home value?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 16th, 2022 6:50 pm
Aug 24, 2014
280 posts
40 upvotes
North York

Does having a shower booth instead of shower tub increase your home value?

I bought a pre-con townhouse

And now I get to decide whether to replace an existing shower tub to a shower booth.

By default, I have a tub in the guest bathroom and also in the master room bathroom.

Since I have 2 tubs in total, I thought maybe having a shower booth in the master room bathroom

would look more appealing in the future?

But then if my potential buyer wants to rent out the second floor, he/she has no access to a tub, so just keeping a tub in the master room bathroom seems better.

What do you people think?
9 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 16, 2008
11338 posts
5527 upvotes
Vaughan
Should be.

Upgrade for yourselves now. How much is the upgrade?
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
2761 posts
1830 upvotes
GTA
Is the master a standard tub or a bigger soaker tub? Big soaker/jacuzzi tubs aren't desired now and many people would rather have a larger shower stall with a seat, etc. Keeping a tub on the 2nd floor main bathroom is a good idea because people do need a tub to wash larger things, etc. Bathing kids/toddlers is much easier in a tub.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23731 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Depends. Is this a prefabricated shower stall? Cause those look really cheap and from what I’ve seen doesn’t really do anything for “value”.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
9924 posts
7088 upvotes
Mississauga
I don't know if losing a tub increases home value but it certainly reduces your pool of buyers because families with young kids will want a tub.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2018
1479 posts
1584 upvotes
GTA
Walk in shower in the masters and a tub in the guest/second bathroom is a good combo.

If the new buyer needs a bathtub for their kids, they would still have one where they need it.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27802 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
gushingtears wrote: I bought a pre-con townhouse

And now I get to decide whether to replace an existing shower tub to a shower booth.

By default, I have a tub in the guest bathroom and also in the master room bathroom.

Since I have 2 tubs in total, I thought maybe having a shower booth in the master room bathroom

would look more appealing in the future?

But then if my potential buyer wants to rent out the second floor, he/she has no access to a tub, so just keeping a tub in the master room bathroom seems better.

What do you people think?
You have 2 tubs on the plans.
You are asking if it makes sense to make one just a shower (oversized I assume)
For the Master Bathroom

Answer is YES

These oversized showers are extremely popular now
They take a master ensuite to the next level of comfort = upgrade

And make total sense if you have both a full ensuite
And a full second bath with a tub (be that one a stand alone tub, or a tub & shower combo )
That’s all that matters for resale … that you widen the pool of potential buyers by having a bath with tub for kids

Stop worrying about what if the buyer wants to rent out the second floor

That’s not your concern

Most home buyers buy a house for THEIR OWN NEEDS

So do what makes sense for what you need now … for you
And what makes the most sense for resale. Period
Last edited by PointsHubby on Apr 16th, 2022 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 24, 2014
280 posts
40 upvotes
North York
it's a standard tub. Thanks for your opinion