Automotive

Does the Honda HR-V have rear cross traffic warning?

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2019 12:08 am
[OP]
Newbie
Jan 3, 2009
79 posts
9 upvotes
Mississauga

Does the Honda HR-V have rear cross traffic warning?

My wife is looking for a small SUV that must have 3 advanced safety features: (1) blind spot warning (2) front collision warning/braking (3) rear cross traffic warning/braking.

From the physical attributes, we have narrowed it down to the Subaru Crosstrek and the Honda HR-V. My wife really likes the HR-V but unless I am missing something, this SUV does NOT have rear cross traffic warning.

Any advice please?
19 replies
Banned
Dec 14, 2017
719 posts
1759 upvotes
You shouldnt need those features to be able to drive. If she MUST have those features then maybe she shouldn't drive...
Sr. Member
Sep 25, 2018
659 posts
1204 upvotes
I concur... If your wife cannot do the following properly:

1. Check her blind spot (seriously you just turn your head left or right. Does she have a physical condition preventing her from doing that?)
2. Watch the traffic in front of you (this is even simpler, I mean as a driver what else would you be doing other than watch your front?)
3. Check the surrounding when backing out (with all the cameras on cars nowadays, I can't imagine this being hard)

She should either take bus, taxi, or have another proper driver to chauffeur her.

Moreover, electronics fail, if she end up hitting someone/something because one of those safety features fails, you'll still get a ticket/insurance increase.
Sr. Member
Mar 1, 2008
866 posts
125 upvotes
Toronto
I say there's nothing wrong with having those features. I find them useful and somewhat a peace of mind that they are there.

I would go with the Crosstrek. If you go with the trim with the Eyesight system, it's included.
rubikas001 wrote: You shouldnt need those features to be able to drive. If she MUST have those features then maybe she shouldn't drive...
Last edited by aznblade on Dec 2nd, 2019 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 4, 2008
6595 posts
6267 upvotes
Richmond Hill
based on the spec sheet, it looks like the HRV doesnt have rcta

the crosstrek probably does, and i know for sure that mazdas have it as well
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15702 posts
13435 upvotes
Richmond Hill
aznblade wrote: I say there's nothing wrong with having those features. I find them useful and somewhat a peace of mind that they are there.

I would go with the Crosstrek. If you go with the trim with the Eyesight system, it's included.
You're right, there is nothing wrong with having nannies till the driver solely relies on them to "drive".
Banned
Dec 14, 2017
719 posts
1759 upvotes
aznblade wrote: I say there's nothing wrong with having those features. I find them useful and somewhat a peace of mind that they are there.

I would go with the Crosstrek. If you go with the trim with the Eyesight system, it's included.
Nothing wrong with having them, just wrong that she MUST have them
Deal Addict
May 30, 2012
3921 posts
1280 upvotes
BC
rubikas001 wrote: Nothing wrong with having them, just wrong that she MUST have them
Lmao...she must have them be because there is additional safety to be had?


Yet, I see all these men must having manual transmission, must not have CVT, must have naturally aspirated v8, must have AWD......
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 14, 2010
1349 posts
803 upvotes
Barrie ON
If a car has "Blind Spot Monitoring" (BSM) then it will also have "Rear Cross Traffic Alert" (RCTA) because both system use the same radar sensors mounted in the corners of the back bumper.

The HRV does not have BSM. Instead it has a system called "Lanewatch". Lanewatch uses a camera on the passenger door mirror, to display your blindspot on the central display whenever you activate the turn signal. There is no Lanewatch for the drivers side.
Banned
Dec 14, 2017
719 posts
1759 upvotes
iownyou wrote: Lmao...she must have them be because there is additional safety to be had?


Yet, I see all these men must having manual transmission, must not have CVT, must have naturally aspirated v8, must have AWD......
All of those don't really have to do with safety or the ability for someone to drive rather they're just something someone would like to have for the fun of it, manual and a na V8 would be fun. But someone saying they must have a car with bsm, forward collision alert, rear park assist isn't for the fun of it, rather they're probably scared without them because they don't feel confident in themselves enough to drive without them. There's a difference between it would be nice to have these features when I'm getting a new car versus it is a MUST when I am getting a new car.
[OP]
Newbie
Jan 3, 2009
79 posts
9 upvotes
Mississauga
I can see that the Christmas season does little to dull the innate ******* nature of some posters. If you have nothing positive to add, perhaps you should go back to the dark mean hole you came from.
Jr. Member
Mar 2, 2012
171 posts
200 upvotes
MILTON
superlift123 wrote: I can see that the Christmas season does little to dull the innate ******* nature of some posters. If you have nothing positive to add, perhaps you should go back to the dark mean hole you came from.
Some people make themselves feel important by being mean. They want to share their awesomeness and wisdom with you by telling you the dumbest things such as that your wife should not be driving.

After they leave a mean comment they log out, then they log in with their second user name and they give themselves a thumb up.

The best thing is to do is to ignore them and show them that you don't care about their dumb comments.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15702 posts
13435 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Meh it’s the internet. Best not to take it too serious, especially around here lol
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2007
1096 posts
53 upvotes
Bolton, ON
Could always back into parking spots, instead of driving forward into them. The backup camera with the HR-V is pretty good.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1762 posts
863 upvotes
Alberta
I can tell you for a fact the Crosstrek will have all those things, I have one. I too bought my car with all the safety features, it's mine now but will be my wife's in the future, and unlike all the haters, I do appreciate having extra protection, especially when my wife is involved.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15702 posts
13435 upvotes
Richmond Hill
eblend wrote: I can tell you for a fact the Crosstrek will have all those things, I have one. I too bought my car with all the safety features, it's mine now but will be my wife's in the future, and unlike all the haters, I do appreciate having extra protection, especially when my wife is involved.
I too use extra protection with the wife as I don't want to get into a situation where I NEED a X7.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1762 posts
863 upvotes
Alberta
EP32k2 wrote: I too use extra protection with the wife as I don't want to get into a situation where I NEED a X7.
LOL
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
4683 posts
3741 upvotes
rubikas001 wrote:
Nothing wrong with having them, just wrong that she MUST have them
rubikas001 wrote: All of those don't really have to do with safety or the ability for someone to drive rather they're just something someone would like to have for the fun of it, manual and a na V8 would be fun. But someone saying they must have a car with bsm, forward collision alert, rear park assist isn't for the fun of it, rather they're probably scared without them because they don't feel confident in themselves enough to drive without them. There's a difference between it would be nice to have these features when I'm getting a new car versus it is a MUST when I am getting a new car.
So do you drive a car with no abs, airbags or seatbelts, power steering or brakes?
Banned
Dec 14, 2017
719 posts
1759 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: So do you drive a car with no abs, airbags or seatbelts, power steering or brakes?
Ur so funny dude...there's a difference between all those and pretty much all cars already have those and isn't a feature that they promote. What I'm saying is that it shouldn't be a must to have the newer safety features for someone to drive, they shouldn't have the mindset that if a car doesn't have those safety features such as blind spot warning then I won't drive. Also another point, you can check ur blind spot and you should, you shouldn't need a system to check it for you, you can't stop a car with ur foot so brakes are kinda needed, this ain't Flintstones and I can go on about the others.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jul 12, 2003
11454 posts
3717 upvotes
Toronto
Rick007 wrote: If a car has "Blind Spot Monitoring" (BSM) then it will also have "Rear Cross Traffic Alert" (RCTA) because both system use the same radar sensors mounted in the corners of the back bumper.

The HRV does not have BSM. Instead it has a system called "Lanewatch". Lanewatch uses a camera on the passenger door mirror, to display your blindspot on the central display whenever you activate the turn signal. There is no Lanewatch for the drivers side.
Not necessary. The car I used to have have BSM but not cross traffic alert, it has to go up another trim to have it.



OP, I'm sure if you go on honda website and screen all the feature in different trim, it shows you what trim has what. It is not difficult to find your own answer if you say the internet people are so mean to you and your wife.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015

Top