[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
2590 posts
490 upvotes
Vancouver

Does Kinect Work With All Xbox 360s?

Hi

I got a long time ago(probably around 2011) a free xbox 360 for signing up with a 2 year Telus agreement. I never really played it much but now my wife is wondering if she can buy a used Kinect and if it will work with my xbox 360. At one point I was thinking of moding it and I found a piece of paper that I wrote down saying it was "manufactured Feb 2011", it seems like Kinect came out in 2010 so I guess it should be fine?

Was there some models that never worked with Kinect?
3 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28725 posts
9173 upvotes
Yeah it works with them all. However only the S and Elite have the specific port for it. If you have an older 360, you just need to use the special power supply cable with it, which allows it to get external power while connecting to the USB port otherwise.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
2590 posts
490 upvotes
Vancouver
ES_Revenge wrote: Yeah it works with them all. However only the S and Elite have the specific port for it. If you have an older 360, you just need to use the special power supply cable with it, which allows it to get external power while connecting to the USB port otherwise.
how do I know which one I have (I am guessing I just have the regular xbox 360). Also did kinetc come with this cable as I see in the CL posting something about a power supply cable.

I think I have the slim model as it looks like this

https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-System ... B00QU0I38U

for whatever reason though it is not printed on the actual 360 that is is the slim version.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28725 posts
9173 upvotes
xiaobao wrote: how do I know which one I have (I am guessing I just have the regular xbox 360). Also did kinetc come with this cable as I see in the CL posting something about a power supply cable.
Take a look on the back, does it have the Kinect port? Looks like an additional USB port that has an angle on one corner, it has the label "KINECT" right on it on the S I believe, either that or an orange line.
Look here for picture(s):
https://www.engadget.com/2010-06-14-the ... close.html

I believe the correct cable/power adapter did come with the Kinect however it might not be included in all used sales as the seller may have misplaced or discarded it, particularly if they never had to use it on their Xbox. So make sure it has that before buying (has a wall/plug-in adapter as part of it).