• Last Updated:
  • Feb 3rd, 2021 8:26 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
4612 posts
501 upvotes

Does Lease Buyout Make Sense? 2018 Audi Q5

I currently drive a 2018 Audi Q5 Progressiv Trim and my lease is up in 2 months. Payments have been $835 per month, so I've paid... $30,083.04. Car is in excellent condition.

The lease residual is 33,151.40

SO I'm guessing I pay 33,151.40 + 13% + Admin fee to buy out?

This is on-par or relatively close to the used market.

I don't like the car shopping experience, but warranty and other considerations are in play.

Options are to

1) Buy lease out and continue to drive, I would still finance the balance.
2) Lease/Buy new Audi Q5
3) Buy new/different car

Other options?
51 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
32079 posts
19297 upvotes
Toronto
Do you like the latest and greatest?

Getting into a new car will always be more expensive as each model year will be about $500 or so higher than the previous + outlay fees of another $3000 (ball park).
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12353 posts
4866 upvotes
Toronto
#2 or 3 depending your personal choice.

I wouldn't pay almost 40k after tax and fee to buy it back.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Jul 24, 2014
210 posts
167 upvotes
Ontario
Have you had any problems with it so far? German cars tend to have a reputation of being unreliable and becoming money pits as they age... Consider the cost of maintenance and repairs moving forward on an aging German vehicle depending on how long you plan on keeping it. Depreciation could also be something to think about since luxury cars tend to depreciate much more quickly compared other brands.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
9489 posts
2352 upvotes
My take on this is if you’re gonna be financing and have monthly payments on the residual, you’re going to have monthly payments still so it doesn’t really help with cash flow. Meanwhile you’re paying off a loan on a car that is only going to get older and less reliable. Given that it’s an Audi, repairs and maintenance costs will only go up. No warranty is also a factor and once you’re done paying off the residual in a few years, you’re likely going to be thinking of a new car again.

Of course it’s going to cost a little more if you’re going to be leasing a new car every couple of years but this is really based on your personal finance and cash flow so it’s hard to say what is better.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
1847 posts
610 upvotes
Toronto
Go for the new one, you will still pay thousands $$$ in repairs once that car notoriously starts to break down, new cars don't break down even when they're from an unreliable car maker such as Audi.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12353 posts
4866 upvotes
Toronto
Also, I don't get why such a short lease for OP. 2008 and now is 2020, probably 24 months lease?
You know the shorter the period of lease, the larger the residual value and more monthly lease payments.

Should lease it for 4 years or just under whatever the manufacture warranty period.

Unless for some people that always want to drive a brand new car every 2 yrs, but then you said you considering buying it, so I don't think you are the type of person.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
1285 posts
1348 upvotes
Toronto
Lease a new one. Im sure you leased it for 2 years so you can get into another car.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
9648 posts
9163 upvotes
1) you will be paying $1100 per month for 36 months and at the end you will have some that's worth $20k. Of 36, 24 of those months are without warranty unless you pay another $2-$3k for coverage.

So your cash flow got worse and if nothing goes wrong and you are able to sell it at 6 years old for $20k, you are basically paying around $700/meth for 36 mths.
Dec 4, 2017
503 posts
511 upvotes
Toronto
2 years lease. You still have some brakes and tires life left. Nothing drastically changed in 2020 Q5. If I remembered Audi touch MMI hasn't made it to the Q5 yet. But even so, don't think it's worth trading a car for.

I'd say buy it back. Unless there's something else on the market that tickles your fancy as there are tons of competing models out there currently.
Aug 8, 2005
685 posts
345 upvotes
Toronto
Keep in mind the difference between new and used

As someone mentioned, you would refinance for next 36 months at a cost of $700 a month. For a car that starts 2 years old and ends up 5 years old (no warranty in final year)

You were paying $835 a month for the latest and greatest, brand new car. Full warranty all the way through.

In that case I’d just go lease a new one again. For $100 or so a month why even keep yours?

And if you are on a 2 yr lease, look at a 3yr one. Then the comparison above is more apples to apples. And 3 years is still under warranty yet monthly cost is even lower

This all assumes your lease was $0 down though.

In any case, don’t keep the old one for almost the same price as just getting a brand new 2020 model!!
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
2748 posts
3808 upvotes
Barrie, ON
I'd roll those payments right into a brand new one.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4634 posts
4891 upvotes
GTA
If you like the car, and it's been good to you (not many repairs/problems), and the price is right (sounds like it is), I would buy it.

That's my plan when I try my first European car anyways. Lease first, then buy if I like it. The repair cost/reliability aspect especially.
Feb 5, 2007
707 posts
318 upvotes
Other options...
Read other rfd threads and determine a way not to spend what appears to be $15K per year on a car. I like nice things but wow. Talk about warranty and repairs is mute if you can truly afford that.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
4612 posts
501 upvotes
Thanks, reading all these comments,... it was a 36 month lease.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2014
1188 posts
528 upvotes
OP two important questions are:
1) Do you enjoy driving/owning the car
2) Will you see yourself enjoying it in 5-6 years from now?

Your model year Q5 is fairly reliable and given that it is the newest generation, its fairly likely you'll be able to go another 4-5 years without any major changes. From a financial perspective, you shouldn't bother trading in the car and dumping another $30,000 down the drain on a new lease. I'd just keep it, and drive it for another few years. Especially if the car is still in good condition and you haven't had any issues.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
4612 posts
501 upvotes
rsang39 wrote: OP two important questions are:
1) Do you enjoy driving/owning the car
2) Will you see yourself enjoying it in 5-6 years from now?

Your model year Q5 is fairly reliable and given that it is the newest generation, its fairly likely you'll be able to go another 4-5 years without any major changes. From a financial perspective, you shouldn't bother trading in the car and dumping another $30,000 down the drain on a new lease. I'd just keep it, and drive it for another few years. Especially if the car is still in good condition and you haven't had any issues.
No issues as of yet. Likely need new tires soon. It is up to date on maintenance, the next maintenance is due in 1800KMs.

I do really like the vehicle yes. This is my third Audi and I've never had an issues, but I've never kept over 5 years.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
4612 posts
501 upvotes
booblehead wrote: Do you like the latest and greatest?

Getting into a new car will always be more expensive as each model year will be about $500 or so higher than the previous + outlay fees of another $3000 (ball park).
Yes, I do.
MusicBox wrote: Go for the new one, you will still pay thousands $$$ in repairs once that car notoriously starts to break down, new cars don't break down even when they're from an unreliable car maker such as Audi.
In fairness, this is my third audi and I've never had an issue. Really the best cars I've ever owned, but I've never owned beyond the 5 year mark.
BHA1 wrote: Keep in mind the difference between new and used

As someone mentioned, you would refinance for next 36 months at a cost of $700 a month. For a car that starts 2 years old and ends up 5 years old (no warranty in final year)

You were paying $835 a month for the latest and greatest, brand new car. Full warranty all the way through.

In that case I’d just go lease a new one again. For $100 or so a month why even keep yours?

And if you are on a 2 yr lease, look at a 3yr one. Then the comparison above is more apples to apples. And 3 years is still under warranty yet monthly cost is even lower

This all assumes your lease was $0 down though.

In any case, don’t keep the old one for almost the same price as just getting a brand new 2020 model!!
Old lease was. The dealer can basically put me into a new one for practically the same price.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
32079 posts
19297 upvotes
Toronto
Sounds like you have answered to your own question Smiling Face With Open Mouth

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)