Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 1, 2012
457 posts
9 upvotes
TORONTO

Does living Oshawa suck?

Looks like the last of the cheap house are available in Oshawa, like 150k, not bad for 50 minutes or less from Toronto. I heard North Oshawa was better but south Oshawa is bad as? What it like livin in awfalwa Oshawa ?
Share:
29 replies
Banned
Oct 19, 2010
7433 posts
1141 upvotes
Mississauga East
Life is what you make of it.
Do you require others to make life interesting for you?
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2004
2006 posts
166 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah but property taxes are much much higher than Toronto.
Banned
Oct 19, 2010
7433 posts
1141 upvotes
Mississauga East
Are taxes higher on percentage of land value
or on the actual amount you pay
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2004
2006 posts
166 upvotes
Toronto
Both
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2011
4059 posts
247 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
Does living in Oshawa suck?

To answer your question, no it doesn't.
Traveling 😁
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2968 posts
78 upvotes
I was give an opinion but then I noticed who the OP was.

To answer Zooter:
Taxes are higher in Oshawa....paying 4K a year is about average.
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
11651 posts
507 upvotes
It's kinda like asking if living in Milton sucks.

Yeah, it does, but lots of people like it and don't mind living in a house just like everyone else's that is just as unique as they are.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2010
3753 posts
156 upvotes
Barrie
Well, its better than a dead Oshawa.
We don't know, so it's possible. And it's possible, so it's probably probable.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13849 posts
1337 upvotes
They don't call it The Dirty Shwa for nothing.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19581 posts
6894 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
mbg wrote: It's kinda like asking if living in Milton sucks.

Yeah, it does, but lots of people like it and don't mind living in a house just like everyone else's that is just as unique as they are.

Suburbs suck! Oshawa more than most ... but damn, 150K is cheap. But like I've said before, when real estate is cheap it's cheap for a reason.
Dec 2, 2008
631 posts
66 upvotes
Belleville
Spent 4 years there recently. It does suck.

To expand...

The south end is crack addicts and welfare scrubs.

The old centre of town is white trash, anglosaxon- racist scum.

The newer parts are suburban drab.

If you're not white stick to the north. If you can find a place that keeps you sheltered from the blue collared scum.... Go for it. The prices are what they are for a reason.

Glad I experienced living there because now I can say it's a shithole without sounding like an *******.

Like someone else said, life is what you make of it. Got close with a biker neighbour and had some fun times, but I'm glad as all F that I never have to go back.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2968 posts
78 upvotes
There are a lot of places in Ontario that a house can be had for $150K around the same distance as Oshawa. Why pick on Oshawa, is it because Jann Arden put it in the news? And who the heck calls ist "awfalwa Oshawa?" <---that is a really poor ryhme it is the dirty shwa....or just shwa.

Is the OP buying a house this year?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
305 upvotes
Toronto
Oshawa is not dirty and it does not suck. Yes the south end (below the 401) is not a place I would not want to buy a home in, but there are a few areas where it is not bad at all. Right of Simcoe.
There is the east end where there is a small pocket of bad buildings. The downtown has improved plenty. Other areas are great, especially the north end.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2011
4059 posts
247 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
Try Whitby, the homes in the Northern areas are attractive but the city of Oshawa is a meh, but doesn't suck.
Traveling 😁
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
7302 posts
1152 upvotes
Alberta
Jann Arden recently said that Oshawa was the middle of nowhere. Oshawa is Canada's 15th largest city BTW.

Dave
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
15816 posts
2411 upvotes
If a house in Oshawa is only $150K, there's a reason for that. Even townhouses in good areas are going for $175K. Certain areas in Oshawa are to be avoided, just like in every other city.
Automatic down-votes: D-Link, TP-Link, Newegg, Canada Computers, any Chinese-owned cellphone, laptop or IoT device.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2011
4059 posts
247 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
DavidY wrote: Jann Arden recently said that Oshawa was the middle of nowhere. Oshawa is Canada's 15th largest city BTW.

Dave

Well, the only taste of Oshawa she received was the via rail station which is in the middle of nowhere...
Traveling 😁
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
15816 posts
2411 upvotes
Simaahoy wrote: Well, the only taste of Oshawa she received was the via rail station which is in the middle of nowhere...

Oh, lord, if you're taking the train, stay the hell away from Oshawa. During peak times, you could almost drive home from Toronto in the time it takes you to get out of that f***ing patking lot.
Automatic down-votes: D-Link, TP-Link, Newegg, Canada Computers, any Chinese-owned cellphone, laptop or IoT device.
Aug 13, 2011
621 posts
147 upvotes
Scarborough southwes…
Not sure about now but 10-15 years ago, it sucked to live in Oshawa if you didn't own a GM car.
Those dung-eating SOBs scratched rude messages into all 4 of my ex's 4 non-GM cars. Her dad's GM truck never got touched. Whenever they strike or plant closes, she celebrates. Can't wait for the day GM ups and leaves so those ppl starve. Yep, the actions of a few has poisoned my ex against all of the folk there.