Home & Garden

Does it make sense to buy a small convection oven if your oven has convection?

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2017 11:37 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2281 posts
435 upvotes
East York, ON

Does it make sense to buy a small convection oven if your oven has convection?

I am thinking about one of these http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/black ... p.html#srp

which apparently can be bought for $49 (vs $99 at CT) from Factory direct

What would be the advantage of having one of these? Is this just for people who have old ovens and want the convection cooking?
Last edited by CuriousC on Aug 27th, 2017 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sig abuse not tolerated on RFD - mods
20 replies
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 16, 2008
10164 posts
4435 upvotes
Vaughan
Sometimes for small item, people don't want to use bigger one from stove, convenient.
...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8636 posts
5592 upvotes
Mississauga
We use our toaster oven for baking small items. Saves from having to fire up the regular oven.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 26, 2002
6497 posts
865 upvotes
BC
No it does not make sense to buy one if you have convection feature on your stove. They dont even cook the same.

But, it will depend on your convection stove, is there a fan that blows the air around? Or is there an element behind the fan that blows the heat from that element around? I have true convection (element behind fan) and it works great, no pre heating required, food cooks really fast. No real reason to buy a small counter top that doesnt work as good.

I can turn my stove to 350, throw in a slice of left over pizza, 10minutes and its hot and crispy. I'm not the least bit worried how much it cost to run my stove for the 10 mins to heat up one item.
That's my 2cents worth
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2281 posts
435 upvotes
East York, ON
From what you guys are saying I guess the only point of view that makes sense is to save on money hopping that it takes less to cook small items in the small convection oven.
Sig abuse not tolerated on RFD - mods
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2624 posts
1615 upvotes
Alliston, ON
Some people might want them to use in the summer time, you could use the small convection oven outdoor instead of turning on the big oven for an hour and having all the heat indoors.

Also, I'd avoid buying it from factory direct. Who knows what the unit will be like you get, it could die in a few months then you're back to buying another unit and now at the same price as the one from CT. If your not in a hurry, just watch CT for sales, they likely go for 40% off
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2281 posts
435 upvotes
East York, ON
That is exactly the biggest challenge that I have with this :-)
Sig abuse not tolerated on RFD - mods
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2281 posts
435 upvotes
East York, ON
schade wrote: Some people might want them to use in the summer time, you could use the small convection oven outdoor instead of turning on the big oven for an hour and having all the heat indoors.

Also, I'd avoid buying it from factory direct. Who knows what the unit will be like you get, it could die in a few months then you're back to buying another unit and now at the same price as the one from CT. If your not in a hurry, just watch CT for sales, they likely go for 40% off
That is a very good point, my kitchen does go very hot in the summer ... hmmm I am now inclined to buy one.
Sig abuse not tolerated on RFD - mods
Moderator
User avatar
Aug 20, 2009
9201 posts
4566 upvotes
My suggestion is to get a used one at a local Goodwill or Habitat for Humanity type place, try it for a month before you plop down more than $50 for one. I thought I would love having one of these and my reasoning was the same as yours. Turns out I was wrong and had shelled out like $150 for a fancy one that never got used. Uneven cooking, too small to be practical for many items, space constraints, etc.

I've seen them as cheap as $25 on Kijiji and at local thrift stores.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2281 posts
435 upvotes
East York, ON
Redmask wrote: My suggestion is to get a used one at a local Goodwill or Habitat for Humanity type place, try it for a month before you plop down more than $50 for one. I thought I would love having one of these and my reasoning was the same as yours. Turns out I was wrong and had shelled out like $150 for a fancy one that never got used. Uneven cooking, too small to be practical for many items, space constraints, etc.

I've seen them as cheap as $25 on Kijiji and at local thrift stores.
It can go in the basement kitchen which does not have a convection oven :-) but the Factory Direct ones are exactly that, very cheap and good for trying what you just said
Sig abuse not tolerated on RFD - mods
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 16, 2007
1560 posts
819 upvotes
How much baking are you going to do in it? I dont think the fan is used in toasting. With a fan, the oven is less prone to hot spotting. I had an old 4 slice black and decker, and the left side of the oven would always cook faster than the right side.

I had the same questions as you, so I went with the this option:

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.ca/store/p ... aster+oven

get 20% off with a email signup. Brings it down to $56.
- Insert Something here so you will be able to recognize me.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 25, 2004
4182 posts
708 upvotes
Pickering, ON
We have a convection toaster oven and use it 95% of the time over the big oven (which also has convection).

It depends: can you afford the counter space? How often do you bake? How many people are you baking for?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2281 posts
435 upvotes
East York, ON
is it safe to place it in a open kitchen cabinet
Sig abuse not tolerated on RFD - mods
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2737 upvotes
ON
It heats up faster and heats up your home less in the summer. That alone is enough for me.
I didn't get the low end model, so can't comment on that, but I love my Breville. I haven't used a full sized oven in 6 years.

Obviously doesn't work for >4 servings of most foods, though. Perfect for 1-2. Break out the big oven if there's a crowd.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
5419 posts
3695 upvotes
CuriousC wrote: is it safe to place it in a open kitchen cabinet
The owners manual will be the place that will give you the required clearances.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2281 posts
435 upvotes
East York, ON
aqnd wrote: It heats up faster and heats up your home less in the summer. That alone is enough for me.
I didn't get the low end model, so can't comment on that, but I love my Breville. I haven't used a full sized oven in 6 years.

Obviously doesn't work for >4 servings of most foods, though. Perfect for 1-2. Break out the big oven if there's a crowd.
what model did you buy?
This one is on sale now http://www.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... v450xk--24
Sig abuse not tolerated on RFD - mods
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18123 posts
9192 upvotes
I have not looked but suspect it is more efficient to heat up a much smaller element and much smaller oven. This means it consumes less power. Enough to warrant the price is up to you.

Personally we found it takes up a lot of counter space, but works well when you have to cook multiple things at different temperatures.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
741 upvotes
no it does not make sense. That being said, we did buy a philips air fryer...and this makes a ton of sense for our household.

I can cook 12 chicken strips for the kids and have it on the table before the oven is even preheated. We can cook a package of sausages and contain all the splatter/oil. Same with bacon or back bacon.

Top