• Last Updated:
  • Aug 5th, 2021 2:55 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9135 posts
800 upvotes

Does Mazda 5 need synthetic oil ?

I was using synthetic oil for the 2012 Mazda 5 in the first 2-3 years . I switched to another garage later on and they told me it is ok to use regular oil, and have been using regular oil since then. Now, I am moving to another garage which is closer to home and they say they go by user manual, and it says Mazda5 requires synthetic oil. Should I switch back ? Honestly, I didn't experience anything when I am using regular oil.

Thanks for any advice.
20 replies
Sep 25, 2018
869 posts
1617 upvotes
Just stick with synthetic as per user manual.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
7102 posts
5965 upvotes
The question is, what interval were you changing your oil at when you switched to regular oil?

Given the age of your car, I don't think it matters going forward. If you run into engine problem, it's a write off at this point anyway.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12346 posts
813 upvotes
Toronto
Stick with what the owner's manual says. Considering they specifically spell out synthetic, just do that.

Supertech full synthetic at Wal-Mart is a great value (often under $20 for 5L), and meets your use case very well. Doesn't cost much more than conventional oil.
Deal with it.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2858 posts
1537 upvotes
Markham
Read your owner's manual!!!
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
29788 posts
10498 upvotes
I'm not even sure who would use dino oil in this day and age, unless for an old junker or beater... I haven't touched that stuff since like 1997 lol.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
46783 posts
9882 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
ES_Revenge wrote: I'm not even sure who would use dino oil in this day and age, unless for an old junker or beater... I haven't touched that stuff since like 1997 lol.
You’d be surprised. Lots of people wing it with old skool oil dino oil changes every 5k km or so.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11826 posts
3481 upvotes
Ontario
Synthetic oil is better at many things when compared to regular oil & considering the manufacture requires it you should of always used it. It may be an older car now but really Oil is the blood of the engine and if you want to prolong the engine has give it a big more protection its worth the price increase. Also google benefits Synthetic oil & you can decide for yourself.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
1793 posts
2230 upvotes
Barrie, ON
ES_Revenge wrote: I'm not even sure who would use dino oil in this day and age, unless for an old junker or beater... I haven't touched that stuff since like 1997 lol.
Most people are probably running a semi synthetic (Group III) and don't even realize it :)
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
29788 posts
10498 upvotes
mxthor3 wrote: Most people are probably running a semi synthetic (Group III) and don't even realize it :)
Well yeah but at least a Group III oil--most "synthetic" is Group III these days anyway. PAO doesn't mean as much as it used to either. Oil tech has moved forward so far since the days when only Group IV oils were marketed as synthetic; GTL-based Pennzoil Platinum, for example, is Group III but that doesn't change the fact that it's an excellent motor oil.

What I mean is like old skool oil like Castrol GTX, and stuff like Havoline, Valvoline, Quaker State, some-other-line, and such lol--like your
dad's oil (or possibly grand dad's). Like not the synthetic versions of those but like the regular old-skool variety from back in the day. No one that has a newish car or even an older one that's been well maintained and cared for, should be using this kind of thing.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18862 posts
2545 upvotes
Woodbridge
Personally, to me it's a peace of mind, knowing I'm getting the best protection.

My Amsoil cost me about $170 for a case that gives me three oil changes, DIY.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
22137 posts
8496 upvotes
Socially Distanced
You can't change anything so i'd just go back to synthetic and consider it a learning experience.
Next time read the manual after you come home with the car.

As for the its a write-off comment :rolleyes:
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
22137 posts
8496 upvotes
Socially Distanced
UrbanPoet wrote: The good thing about driving an EV is you don’t have to worry about what type of oil to use.
But you need to replace its blinker fluid and muffler bearings all the same Winking Face

And the batteries only last 3-4 years. Not to mention the price of electricity is 5x the price of gas, creates 4x the emissions and is what Bill Gates wants you to drive Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12346 posts
813 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote: The good thing about driving an EV is you don’t have to worry about what type of oil to use.
There's still the coolant that most EVs still use, that will need to be serviced periodically. Then brake fluid, etc.
Deal with it.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2858 posts
1537 upvotes
Markham
Why is EV coming into this topic? Seems like EV always find a way into threads not about EVs....
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2901 posts
1203 upvotes
GTA
Cheap insurance, plus the Mazda5 updated from the 2.3L engine that had an oil cooler, to the 2.5L engine that does NOT have an oil cooler anymore...
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
4771 posts
2274 upvotes
You still have to pay, no matter what.

Car and Driver says:

"Our Tesla Model 3 Hasn't Delivered Big Savings in Maintenance Costs
We've also spent serious money on windshield, roof, and tire replacement."

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a3 ... intenance/
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9706 posts
1973 upvotes
Toronto
I've read that switching to synthetic on older cars, especially after using dino oil, does such a great job of cleaning out all the built up crud, especially around seals, that it leads to leaks.
Not sure if this is true