Health & Wellness

Does OHIP pay for rubber band ligation for hemorrhoids?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 10th, 2021 1:16 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2453 posts
737 upvotes
GTA

Does OHIP pay for rubber band ligation for hemorrhoids?

I know this is an embarrassing question, but it's a part of the human anatomy. Doctor has recommended, after a colonoscopy, the removal of hemorrhoids by the CRH O’Regan method. Apparently it can be quite expensive? Would OHIP pay for this in-doctor-office procedure? Am quire reluctant to undergo hospital surgery as it's not that serious, but life is uncomfortable. Any comments on the success of this would be appreciated too, as well as other banding solutions.
2 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4097 posts
1866 upvotes
Thornhill
Rubber band ligation is a OHIP covered service, though I am not sure if the CRH O’Regan system would be used or not. Barron ligation is the traditional method commonly used.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13777 posts
3131 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Catnippy wrote: Apparently it can be quite expensive? Would OHIP pay for this in-doctor-office procedure?
You may end up going to a hospital to get it done regardless. Maybe someone familiar with OHIP can explain this... certain med procedures when done in a private setting at a doc's office costs $$$ whereas if the same procedure is done at the hospital it's covered. Some docs will give you the option - pay for it get it done faster at the doc's office or wait for the hospital appt. which takes longer but is covered by OHIP. Surgeons do this all the time. They have the "outpatient clinic" and "in-hospital" appts. I had a small ganglion develop on my left feet 2 yrs ago. I didnt realize this was a cosmetic procedure (as opposed to medical) and surgeon said he normally charges $400 bucks in office. I said I wasnt aware and thought it be covered under OHIP. All of a sudden he said "...no issues. I can do it so OHIP covers it." My thinking he coded it under in-hospital medical procedure. He is affiliated with the hospital across his office.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)