Automotive

Does OW20 oil minimize engine wear in the cold winters when cold starting?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 22nd, 2022 12:58 pm
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
885 posts
347 upvotes

Does OW20 oil minimize engine wear in the cold winters when cold starting?

Compared to say 5W20. I used OW20 oil years ago but I stopped because it was literally double the cost of 5W20 in my oil changes. But when it's -100C is there really any oil that will flow immediately when cold starting?

It can''t be good for any engine to start it when it's this cold. Sounds rough even on my Honda, sounds like a dying rat.
"It took eight years for DDP Yoga to become an overnight sensation" - Diamond Dallas Page
38 replies
May 6, 2010
981 posts
361 upvotes
Richmond Hill
for Honda probably not. I'm using 0w40 belgian castrol in my 3.2 Volvo engine that has somewhat interesting design, there's a difference compared to 5w30 OEM castrol or even 5w30 LiquiMolly.
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
885 posts
347 upvotes
Possum77 wrote: for Honda probably not. I'm using 0w40 belgian castrol in my 3.2 Volvo engine that has somewhat interesting design, there's a difference compared to 5w30 OEM castrol or even 5w30 LiquiMolly.
So don't bother with Ow20 oil?
"It took eight years for DDP Yoga to become an overnight sensation" - Diamond Dallas Page
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19738 posts
23150 upvotes
GTA
DiamondDallasPage wrote: Compared to say 5W20. I used OW20 oil years ago but I stopped because it was literally double the cost of 5W20 in my oil changes. But when it's -100C is there really any oil that will flow immediately when cold starting?

It can''t be good for any engine to start it when it's this cold. Sounds rough even on my Honda, sounds like a dying rat.
Yes, 0wXX synthetic offers better cold startup than 5wXX. I use it and feel it's worth it.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
4735 posts
2159 upvotes
Durham Region
I switched from 5W20 to 0W20 in my Ford Fusion.

No real reason why, other than it being the same price.
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
885 posts
347 upvotes
engineered wrote: Yes, 0wXX synthetic offers better cold startup than 5wXX. I use it and feel it's worth it.
But how much wear and tear does it save on the motor? Like how long does it take for Ow20 oil to start flowing vs 5W20?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
DiamondDallasPage wrote: But how much wear and tear does it save on the motor? Like how long does it take for Ow20 oil to start flowing vs 5W20?
There is no way or science to answer that question as the "wear and tear" on an engine is affected by too many things. Starts and stops, cold starts, hot starts idling times, high rpms and on and on and on.
The OEM engineers have taken all that and weather into account when they recommended what oil to use.
Do not over analyze or over think this.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
3008 posts
1356 upvotes
GTA
0w20 *can* provide better cold starting and decreased cold start wear compared to 5w20, but there's a lot more variables at play since oil operates at a bunch of different conditions.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19738 posts
23150 upvotes
GTA
DiamondDallasPage wrote: But how much wear and tear does it save on the motor? Like how long does it take for Ow20 oil to start flowing vs 5W20?
How much faster do you want?
Do you really care about -100C?
What's more important is to let your engine warm up until idle drops, then drive off gently and don't drive hard until engine is at operating temperature.
If you're really worried, use a block heater or oil pan heating pad to pre warm your car before you drive.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Oct 25, 2020
476 posts
419 upvotes
Some manufacturers will suggest different oils for different conditions. It isn't uncommon to see multiple oil grades available.

Oils are also not created equal when it comes to flow rate at colder temperatures.

Project farm on YouTube did a test between a bunch of different oils and some brands flowed better at the extremes compared to others. Pennzoil Ultra platinum landed second behind amsoil signature overall and both were very close in cold weather flow.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
2749 posts
3810 upvotes
Barrie, ON
In order to answer this you'd need to compare 2 specific oils. No one can simply state '0w20 is better then 5w20 when cold starting'. That statement is based on feelings and not data.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
9651 posts
9180 upvotes
DiamondDallasPage wrote: So don't bother with Ow20 oil?
Stick with what your manual says. And use a block heater when you are in -100c, I assume you are in the west coast where it's -32c in Calgary today and may hit -35c tomorrow. Heck, even Vancouver is in negative double digits and snowed in.

I would say in most winter, you would have got away with it. But this is probably the earliest winter Calgary has seen for a long time but we always get a week or 2 -30c or lower temp every winter.

If your car stay outdoor, give it the best thing you can give to get over winter. What's $20-$30/year compare to worrying about engine wear?

Literally 5 Qts of Mobile 1 0w20 is only $33 as of this post and same price as 5w20.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mobi ... 9453p.html

And how do you shop for your oil for 0w20 to be 2x cost of 5w20?
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2017
1194 posts
1081 upvotes
My Honda Civic has 5W20 as the oil to use. I have been using 0W20 for 4 or 5 years and will continue to do so.
Feb 13, 2021
577 posts
599 upvotes
0W16/0W20 is just an EPA thing.

Don't use it if you want your engines to last. Y'all be sipping too much of the OEM koolaid.

Stick with the European or Asian market owner's manuals, not North American.

I've worked in the past for an European manufacturer, did numerous tests, costing in the millions, if not billions and the results always came back the same.

Excessive piston scuffing and bearing wear for a 0.5 to 1% gain in fuel economy. Since the government and other authorities only care about fuel economy, they had to be released.
Jun 21, 2022
693 posts
926 upvotes
Gta
Notsojdmgc4 wrote: 0W16/0W20 is just an EPA thing.

Don't use it if you want your engines to last. Y'all be sipping too much of the OEM koolaid.

Stick with the European or Asian market owner's manuals, not North American.

I've worked in the past for an European manufacturer, did numerous tests, costing in the millions, if not billions and the results always came back the same.

Excessive piston scuffing and bearing wear for a 0.5 to 1% gain in fuel economy. Since the government and other authorities only care about fuel economy, they had to be released.
It’s Canada. The body is shot before the engine goes the majority of the time anyways.
<unnecessary signature>
Feb 13, 2021
577 posts
599 upvotes
jonnycee1 wrote: It’s Canada. The body is shot before the engine goes the majority of the time anyways.
Maybe if you buy Japscrap and don't keep up with body maintenance, sure.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7719 posts
6907 upvotes
Notsojdmgc4 wrote: Maybe if you buy Japscrap and don't keep up with body maintenance, sure.
or VW or MB..they're the new mazda's of rust..but luckily, they are usually scrapped before the body is too far gone because too $$$ to keep on the road. not really sure why VW is so bad with rust when Audi is relatively fine.