Careers

does a PhD pretty much mean good money?

• Last Updated:
  • May 8th, 2012 8:38 pm
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
9377 posts
1434 upvotes
divx wrote: that's his fault for not taking advantage of the opportunity presented to him at the time, case in point, bill gates and steve jobs dropped out of school to take advantage of the tech sector when they had the chance. Also, for 300k/yr, I'd drop out of grade school if I ever got that offer.

Too much schooling for Mark's friend or instructor. Too dumb (too schooled) to realize that 300k a year is not a drop in the bucket. I would even drop out for 200k/yr.
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3221 upvotes
Calgary
divx wrote: that's his fault for not taking advantage of the opportunity presented to him at the time, case in point, bill gates and steve jobs dropped out of school to take advantage of the tech sector when they had the chance. Also, for 300k/yr, I'd drop out of grade school if I ever got that offer.

I won't sit here and debate his personal motives, but if a PhD was actually valuable (except on a one-off bubble basis), then what year a person graduated school wouldn't be meaningful. He was working on, at the time, some exciting research in materials science, and certainly he believed that the job would exist a year or two down the road when he finally finished his thesis defense.

BTW JK400, you do a very poor job of copying and pasting, but nice try... You ought to be ashamed of yourself for trying to belittle what has happened to ECE professionals in Canada since the demise of the Canadian tech sector. Everything I've written is absolutely true, and rooted in real-life stories of what has happened to ECE grads in Canada, especially those that positioned themselves more towards the "Computer Engineering" side of things.
TodayHello wrote: ...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
34629 posts
4087 upvotes
Winnipeg
pupazzo wrote: Lol most Ph.Ds doing research make like 35k a year. You can get Ph.Ds from the third world who will work for peanuts.

gem post, if you want some lab rat to grind out research for you, you can hire foreigners a dime a dozen, and the best part is that they will appreciate the less than minimum wage you are paying.
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3221 upvotes
Calgary
divx wrote: gem post, if you want some lab rat to grind out research for you, you can hire foreigners a dime a dozen, and the best part is that they will appreciate the less than minimum wage you are paying.

Sad, but absolutely true.

I've heard some academics say that PhD stands for "piled higher and deeper"
TodayHello wrote: ...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2219 posts
499 upvotes
Mark77 wrote: Sad, but absolutely true.

I've heard some academics say that PhD stands for "piled higher and deeper"

BS- Bull****
MS- More ****
PhD- Piled higher and deeper

I agree with them all
Apr 11, 2010
237 posts
51 upvotes
It really depends on the program and a few other variables. For me personally, I got my MA in poli sci but I know very well the PhD is a waste of time. For my brother, after his masters in engineering he knew it was worth it for the PhD (it paid off). In my case in particular, as a white male there are very few professor jobs out there so I knew that the MA was enough. If I do choose eventually to continue with school i'll get another Masters, perhaps public policy, or go to law school.
Sep 10, 2004
687 posts
36 upvotes
JK400 wrote: BS- Bull****
MS- More ****
PhD- Piled higher and deeper

I agree with them all

PhD - Poor hungry Doctor.

MD - Money Doctor.