Automotive

Does retrofitting your headlights voids warranty?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 20th, 2016 7:30 pm
Dec 7, 2009
185 posts
34 upvotes
Edmonton

Does retrofitting your headlights voids warranty?

As the topic says: Does retrofitting your halogen headlights to Morimoto HIDs voids your warranty.

I have a 2014 chevy cruze that I want to change the headlights.

Thanks
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
7022 posts
2907 upvotes
Victoria, BC
It does not "void your warranty" but should you have any electrical problem while still under warranty the dealer will assume the HIDs caused it and thus will not be covered until proven otherwise.

That is, you add uncertainty both to (part of) your warranty coverage and to the longer term out-of-warranty dependability of your Cruze.
Dec 7, 2009
185 posts
34 upvotes
Edmonton
Yeah, that is what I was worried about too since I have the extended warranty for 5 years/until the financing term ends, I hate the halogens. Once you got used to HIDs, halogens will look like candle in the dark.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4337 upvotes
Buy some aftermarket headlights and retrofit those.

Save your stock ones for when you need to get warranty work done.
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
12459 posts
2170 upvotes
GTA
Retro fitting yes.

If just hid kit with original headlight just unplug and swap everytime u go to dealer
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13892 posts
3539 upvotes
Toronto
it will void the warranty for the headlights.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote: Buy some aftermarket headlights and retrofit those.

Save your stock ones for when you need to get warranty work done.
What if the warranty work is electrical and the headlight wring is fried?
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2005
4899 posts
100 upvotes
Local
It's good to have a second car to drive while doing the retrofit. It's also good if you have a nice flat level place to park, work, and aim the lights on your car....better if you can also test the lights during the day time. Theres the new mini d2s 4.0 coming out shortly. Id rather stick with the simpler screw on type like mini d2s.

You might need to enlarge the hole in the halogen reflector to put the projector shaft through it.... Enlarging the hole diamter slowly bit by bit until the shaft can go through is easy. Then you may need to trim off more of the bowl so more of the shaft will protude out the back of the reflector bowl. Youll need enough sticking out because. 1. the white rubber thing That goes on the inside of the reflector bowl. 2. The thing that tightens the projector on the back of the reflector 3 The part that holes the bulb after it. 4 The ballast plug.

The hardest part which I always had an issue with or went unnoticed because it's not really mentioned is the angle.....When and if you need to trim off more of the bowl so that more of the shaft of the projector sticks out that back. You need to trim it in a way where once it's screwed on the projector stays as horizontally straight as possible. I had a big issue with this each time. It helped that I stick the projector through the reflector....pushed up on the front of the projector. The screwed it on the back. Trimmed off more each time and tested if it stayed straight each time. If the back is trimmed off on the top more than the bottom. Once it's screwed on, it will sag down once screwed on. So if I had a higher car like SUV, It was okay. But when I had a lower car. I could not compensate with the oem adjustment screws to get the cutoff high enough since the projector was always aimed a bit down. even though the reflector bowl was aimed as high as the adjustment screws let me.
Dec 7, 2009
185 posts
34 upvotes
Edmonton
Ah, thanks for the info john widow. I was planning to get a second set of the headlights. I might not be doing the reteofit, Im bringing it to a shop Ive known years back.

I might just go with the mini h1 7.0 with gatling gun shroud and halos inside the shroud rthat look something like this.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)