Site Comments & Suggestions

Locked: Does RFD forums allow racism and bias moderating?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 4th, 2020 1:17 pm
[OP]
Banned
User avatar
Apr 19, 2019
83 posts
2 upvotes

Does RFD forums allow racism and bias moderating?

I've reported a racist post in my thread that was locked down because it had a link to a petition criticizing Rogers Communication and bickering in the thread. I would say my thread was basically trolled by a disruptive user, johnnyepy666, whom also was the user who used racist language. Despite reporting the posts I haven't received any followup. I also emailed RFD using the contact-us form. I realize in the rules it says they do not allow racism. However, seeing as there has been no response after a couple days, I'm left to think that they do in fact allow racist language.

I would add a mod added the tag "entitled" to my thread which has since been removed. If you follow the thread, the user johnnyepy666 replied "Oh the entitlement", when I called him ignorant for the racist language.

Thread: rogers-communications-should-offer-fina ... 2386244/5/

User: johnnyepy666
Search "thank you come again."
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 7, 2007
5145 posts
21528 upvotes
Toronto
What are you talking about? Labeling it as a racist post is absurd.
What I see is pot calling the kettle black.

Both of you are at fault & there's absolutely no racism in there only trolling and bickering back and forth. Grow a pair or contact [TomRFD].

Good luck.
[OP]
Banned
User avatar
Apr 19, 2019
83 posts
2 upvotes
You are aware that the phrase "thank you come again", is widely know as a slur used against South Asians quoting the stereotype of Apu from the Simpsons?

"...To these critics, many of whom are of Indian descent, Apu is a servile stereotype. As voiced by Azaria, who is white, Apu’s ethnic accent and his catchphrase, “Thank you! Come again!”, have become grating slurs."
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente ... 71821.html

I just sent a message to TomRFD. Thanks for that suggestion.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 9, 2007
15003 posts
11527 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Nowadays everything is considered racist.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Banned
User avatar
Apr 19, 2019
83 posts
2 upvotes
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Nowadays everything is considered racist.
Well it's been a long journey to where we're at with racism. If you've been watching the news, you're probably aware racism is still a very real problem in society. If you don't think that phrase is racist, I would challenge you to say it to a brown person and ask them if they find it offensive.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 9, 2007
15003 posts
11527 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
well, that depends on how you say it............with an indian accent, yeah...that's racist.
burgerhunter wrote: Well it's been a long journey to where we're at with racism. If you've been watching the news, you're probably aware racism is still a very real problem in society. If you don't think that phrase is racist, I would challenge you to say it to a brown person and ask them if they find it offensive.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Banned
User avatar
Apr 19, 2019
83 posts
2 upvotes
Cheapo-Findo wrote: well, that depends on how you say it............with an indian accent, yeah...that's racist.
Come on man, everyone knows where that quote is from and the stereotype it references. No one uses it literally at the end of conversation.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Apr 10, 2011
10305 posts
19116 upvotes
Montreal
burgerhunter wrote: You are aware that the phrase "thank you come again", is widely know as a slur used against South Asians quoting the stereotype of Apu from the Simpsons?

"...To these critics, many of whom are of Indian descent, Apu is a servile stereotype. As voiced by Azaria, who is white, Apu’s ethnic accent and his catchphrase, “Thank you! Come again!”, have become grating slurs." (...)
If whites can't voice ethnic characters anymore, then "racialised" (I don't know which word to use anymore and I'm afraid) people can't voice white characters.

I see Apu as a positive stereotype:
- hardworking;
- overqualified;
- smart for charging such outrageous prices. :)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6590 posts
6069 upvotes
burgerhunter wrote:


Come on man, everyone knows where that quote is from and the stereotype it references. No one uses it literally at the end of conversation.
Uhh no. I read that thread and did not see it as racist at all. You're being a big crybacy
Temporel wrote: If whites can't voice ethnic characters anymore, then "racialised" (I don't know which word to use anymore and I'm afraid) people can't voice white characters.
OMG :facepalm: :rolleyes:

Who does this? Give an example of this.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Apr 10, 2011
10305 posts
19116 upvotes
Montreal
hierophant wrote: (...) OMG :facepalm: :rolleyes: Who does this? Give an example of this.
You miss the point.
Now Mike Henry won't voice Cleveland Brown from Family Guy anymore.
Reverse-discrimination is not better.
The job should go to the best person in blind auditions.
Anyone should be able to audition for any role.
What's next?
Only LGBTQ+ people can play LGBTQ+ roles?
Only straight people can play straight roles?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6590 posts
6069 upvotes
What idiotic comments...smh
Deal Guru
User avatar
Apr 10, 2011
10305 posts
19116 upvotes
Montreal
hierophant wrote: What idiotic comments...smh
You have very convincing arguments!
Deal Guru
User avatar
Apr 10, 2011
10305 posts
19116 upvotes
Montreal
burgerhunter wrote: I've reported a racist post in my thread that was locked down because it had a link to a petition criticizing Rogers Communication and bickering in the thread. I would say my thread was basically trolled by a disruptive user, johnnyepy666, whom also was the user who used racist language. Despite reporting the posts I haven't received any followup. I also emailed RFD using the contact-us form. I realize in the rules it says they do not allow racism. However, seeing as there has been no response after a couple days, I'm left to think that they do in fact allow racist language.

I would add a mod added the tag "entitled" to my thread which has since been removed. If you follow the thread, the user johnnyepy666 replied "Oh the entitlement", when I called him ignorant for the racist language. (…)
I also have read the entire thread and there is no racist post in it.
To you, anyone who disagrees is a "disruptive user".
If you post in the Off Topic forum, you should expect that some members who disagree will reply.
No one supported your point of view in that thread.
In fact, even though that thread generated over 1,600 views, only 11 people (other than yourself) signed your petition which is quite pathetic.
You take opinions for facts: not everyone agrees that “Thank you, come again!” is racist.
You threw around many insults yourself.
And when the moderation didn’t go your way, you called RFD racist and biased!
Shame on you!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 16, 2004
2307 posts
1060 upvotes
Toronto
I read the thread.
Trolling: Yes
Name calling and possible personal attacks on both sides: Yes
Racist: No

I think OP just got “Thank You Come Again” ‘d by the mods :)
LRT: Let's Ruin Toronto
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2006
1018 posts
616 upvotes
St Johns
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Nowadays everything is considered racist.
Pretty soon eating Oreo with double filling will be an issue Face With Tears Of Joy
[OP]
Banned
User avatar
Apr 19, 2019
83 posts
2 upvotes
Again, anyone who doesn't think the phrase is racist should try saying it to a brown person (ideally a friend) and ask them if they find it racist or offensive. I think you'll find that they are offended by being associated with the stereotype. Again, nobody uses that phrase literally or as a way to end a conversation, like the disruptive user did. That's just a moronic argument.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 10, 2010
1722 posts
1152 upvotes
Toronto
burgerhunter wrote: Again, anyone who doesn't think the phrase is racist should try saying it to a brown person (ideally a friend) and ask them if they find it racist or offensive. I think you'll find that they are offended by being associated with the stereotype. Again, nobody uses that phrase literally or as a way to end a conversation, like the disruptive user did. That's just a moronic argument.
Just wondering ...how can you survive the real World/life problems?

Is Saturday beautiful day go outside, breath and enjoy instead of being behind a screen seeing and making trouble where there is none.

Best of luck
[OP]
Banned
User avatar
Apr 19, 2019
83 posts
2 upvotes
You know nothing about me and what I've survived. I'm pretty sure you and others whom share your opinion have also very likely never experienced racism. You're foolish to make assumptions based on me standing up to and calling out racism. That means I can't survive "real" life problems? Heh, that's pretty ironic.

You and everyone here knows how that phrase is used and it's not benign. You can spin it into reverse racism or some other victim playing bs. But at the end of the day, I know I'm right about it so I don't need some deal hunter forum ppl to tell me either way. I just find it stupid and hypocritical they have all these anti racism rules in the forum rules that are obviously just there for show. Also, don't worry about me I'm gonna have a great Saturday! Hope you do too. Here's a thought experiment for you while you're enjoying that weather and freedom: consider what you'd feel like if you were brown and someone yelled that at you with an accent or not as they drove by in their car. Would you think, hmm that guy must like how I walk and want me to come again to this sidewalk...
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 5, 2004
26712 posts
5838 upvotes
You've made your point. I don't see it as racist, neither does another mod. Other mods/admin may have a different view and if so they can open this thread back up and/or remove the comment.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)