Computers & Electronics

Does Rogers Outrank Bell in ISP Speed?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2014 11:40 am
Oct 24, 2011
74 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver
hey thanks for the answers guys! Sorry I haven't been around. This sounds great.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2008
1049 posts
57 upvotes
Hamilton
I actually got switched to Rogers from Shaw (Rogers bought out Shaw Hamilton, so I guess it's Rogers Hamilton?) and have noticed my Netflix is slow when starting a video but once it gets going no problems with streaming 1080p this is on the 45/4 plan but all my speed tests have been much faster, can't confirm plan as I haven't got my first Rogers bill yet.
Jul 13, 2014
165 posts
17 upvotes
Penticton, BC
Let us know when you do. Lots of people interested.

Does the Netflix pixillate, or is the visual quality good?
Oct 24, 2011
74 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver
Now w/ Rogers, and no pixelation on my end. I agree w SCEvan, sometimes it takes a little while to get going, but if you are a little bit patient, you won't have any issues after that. Checked out Start and Videotron, but found things were a little clearer w/ Rogers. Rather, things were just more simple, and understable. Anyways, so far so good, and pleased that I chose Rogers over Bell - SO FAR. My buddy recently signed with Bell, so perhaps I will soon find out if Rogers does or does outrank Bell - or if the opposite is true.

Thanks for the list Ogopogoyoyo. Should keep me busy for the rest of eternity, haha. Favourite shows anyone? Oh, and curious, has anyone tried streaming this stuff on their phones? via Rogers mobile? Any good?
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2009
1948 posts
337 upvotes
arielc08 wrote: Favourite shows anyone? Oh, and curious, has anyone tried streaming this stuff on their phones? via Rogers mobile? Any good?
Not for Netflix but you can get a lot of top quality shows from the UK. BBC has Peaky Blinders (One of the best shows on TV, IMDB), Our World War (Similar to Bands of Brothers, IMDB) and on 4od Utopia (IMDB).
Jul 13, 2014
165 posts
17 upvotes
Penticton, BC
The only show you MUST watch is Sherlock, assuming you haven't seen it already. I only have an iPhone 3 so no streaming video for me. It's like a little time machine in my pocket, flashing back to an age when Steve Jobs was still alive.

Thanks for the no-pixellation report.
Jul 13, 2014
165 posts
17 upvotes
Penticton, BC
Not to be dense, but what does that even MEAN?
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2009
1948 posts
337 upvotes
Ogopogoyoyo wrote: Not to be dense, but what does that even MEAN?
Average speed for Netflix members when streaming content through Netflix.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19893 posts
4112 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
I think that chart's value is overstated. Cable and Fiber offers the same speeds almost everywhere, while DSL will vary tremendously based on area. I don't think that you'll see any difference between a 25mbps cable, DSL, or Fiber service.

The fact that someone in a rural area can only get 6mbps DSL and no cable will affect the rankings here, but they won't affect someone who has a greater choice of speed tiers.

Teksavvy resells cable and dsl but I'd bet anything that the average teksavvy user subscribes to a higher tier than the average incumbent customer.

And the weirdest thing to me is how low those speeds seem. Net Index shows Rogers at 41Mbps and Canada's average is 23. I can understand that they'll be some variance, but it's hard to believe that the average Netflix user has a connection that's 1/10th the speed of the average Speedtest user.

http://explorer.netindex.com/maps?country=Canada

Given that an HD stream uses 3Mbps or so, even running 5 streams at once doesn't saturate a 25mbps connection. For a lot of houses, there's no Netflix difference between 10mbps and 100mbps.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
i6s1 wrote: I think that chart's value is overstated. Cable and Fiber offers the same speeds almost everywhere, while DSL will vary tremendously based on area. I don't think that you'll see any difference between a 25mbps cable, DSL, or Fiber service.

The fact that someone in a rural area can only get 6mbps DSL and no cable will affect the rankings here, but they won't affect someone who has a greater choice of speed tiers.

Teksavvy resells cable and dsl but I'd bet anything that the average teksavvy user subscribes to a higher tier than the average incumbent customer.

And the weirdest thing to me is how low those speeds seem. Net Index shows Rogers at 41Mbps and Canada's average is 23. I can understand that they'll be some variance, but it's hard to believe that the average Netflix user has a connection that's 1/10th the speed of the average Speedtest user.

http://explorer.netindex.com/maps?country=Canada

Given that an HD stream uses 3Mbps or so, even running 5 streams at once doesn't saturate a 25mbps connection. For a lot of houses, there's no Netflix difference between 10mbps and 100mbps.
By default, netflix does not configure for SuperhD. It just means most people never modified the default settings for their account.
Jul 13, 2014
165 posts
17 upvotes
Penticton, BC
So Bell was both fastest and slowest thus averaging out to ... average? Got it.

Anyway, other shows you must watch on Netflix are Game of Thrones, if you haven't already, Arrested Development, and House of Cards. If you're a Downton Abbey fanatic, try Mister Selfridge too.
Oct 24, 2011
74 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver
I love Jeremy Piven, so I will check out Mr Selfridge, thanks!

I saw a thread on some tech site that said more people watch thinks on Netflix than on YouTube, but surely that's because YT doesn't present recent full shows. I mean, how many Katy Perry videos can anyone watch in a row?
Jul 13, 2014
165 posts
17 upvotes
Penticton, BC
I found this for you in case you don't like the limitations in the Canadian Netflix store.

Oct 24, 2011
74 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver
Hmmm not sure I need US Netflix if I've paid for Canadian Netflix. Let me take it out for a spin first.
Jul 13, 2014
165 posts
17 upvotes
Penticton, BC
I honestly think you will find you want US Netflix. The Canadian selection is getting better, but it's still limited.
Oct 24, 2011
74 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver
Another thread (can't find it on my phone) said Rogers will offer its own Netflix-like service soon. No word on what shows it will have though. That's what I are about most.