Home & Garden

Does Scott's EZ Seed 3 in 1 product work for Canadian lawns?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 28th, 2020 3:31 pm
[OP]
Feb 24, 2020
7 posts

Does Scott's EZ Seed 3 in 1 product work for Canadian lawns?

Hello members,

I am a newbie to lawn care and live in Southern Ontario. I do have some bare spots in my front and backyard and I was thinking of using Scotts 3 in 1 EZ Seed mix to repair the spots. The product is not cheap and I would like to get your views on the product? Does it work? If not, are there any other good lawn repair products that I should consider?

Thanks.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
2003 posts
1734 upvotes
GTA
I have not used scott's EZ seed on that many occasions, but every time I have used it, it has worked quite well.

I think when I did use it, I may have mixed some additional seed into the mix.

Regardless of what you do, your success will be directly correlated to your commitment to watering.
[OP]
Feb 24, 2020
7 posts
thanks a lot for your response. Yes, I agree and understand your point about watering which I will definitely take care of. I believe I have a clay type soil and there are some areas where grass just doesn't want to grow so I was looking at some options and got to know about the EZ seed 3 in 1 option. There were some mixed reviews online which confused me even more. I guess I'll give it a try and see how it goes.

Thanks once again.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12918 posts
7676 upvotes
Brampton
Work? Absolutely.

Can you do better for less? Yes.

It depends on what kind of lawn you have. Full sun? Partial sun? What kind of Soil?

There's a lot of KBG in Scotts, which unless you have partial sun and water it a lot I find is not hardy enough for our GTA weather.

You'd better off with certain fescues.
[OP]
Feb 24, 2020
7 posts
Thank you for your response.

Well, 90% of my backyard is full sun and the rest is complete shade and my soil type is Coarse clay in my opinion.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9565 posts
2182 upvotes
Somewhere
Don't use it right now. Wait until the temperatures are consistently 15-25 degrees.

September 1st is a good time to do it.
:confused:
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5078 posts
3324 upvotes
gordonxavier52 wrote: Thank you for your response.

Well, 90% of my backyard is full sun and the rest is complete shade and my soil type is Coarse clay in my opinion.
add more top soil. Like a ton. Every year i buy 8-12 bags of top soil because my newer home builder put literally only an inch of soil under the sod.

I go nuts with soil, no point in adding seed if there's nothing to grow it on.
Jan 7, 2013
828 posts
499 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
It's worked great for me, but it is expensive.
Nov 1, 2015
139 posts
208 upvotes
London, ON
I also have clay soil, mix of sun and shade. I am in the middle of an unnecessarily difficult warranty claim for Scotts EZ seed.

Scotts made me mail my physical receipt to them in Ohio, USA. They would not accept an emailed photograph or scan. They requested that I mail the bags, too, but I had already discarded the empty bags, expecting their product to work weeks before.

My lawn still sucks, I'm out $99.37, I've been dealing with Scotts Consumer Services via chat/email/mail since I gave up on germination 8 weeks ago. Do not recommend.
[OP]
Feb 24, 2020
7 posts
well, that's interesting. Guess I will have to reconsider the EZ seed. Since it did not work out for you, did you try any other product?
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2011
1254 posts
424 upvotes
One thing I noticed with any of those EZ seed type of product is that they do grow nice green grass super fast and look good but never make it through our winter and every spring it would be bare again! After doing this many times I now only use a premium seed from a seed factory and use the same mix only, takes longer to grow but it lasts through the winter.
No One Goes to Palmerston Ontario
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12918 posts
7676 upvotes
Brampton
bhrm wrote: add more top soil. Like a ton. Every year i buy 8-12 bags of top soil because my newer home builder put literally only an inch of soil under the sod.

I go nuts with soil, no point in adding seed if there's nothing to grow it on.
Go one step better. Top Soil is pretty poor when it comes to nutrients.
Get peat moss and dump that down as it breaks down that'll give you good soil and even help to make some of that clay usable again. You could go triple mix but it's way more expensive.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5078 posts
3324 upvotes
tebore wrote: Go one step better. Top Soil is pretty poor when it comes to nutrients.
Get peat moss and dump that down as it breaks down that'll give you good soil and even help to make some of that clay usable again. You could go triple mix but it's way more expensive.
I sprinkle and mix in fertilizer with top soil, since that's what the fancy soils are, premixed. I also buy 2-3 'nicer premixed' along with cheap top soil and seems to work quite well. Top soil helps keep moisture, otherwise it just doesn't retain in the clay